Sign in to follow this  
Emjajoas

Quest #121: Want Your Mummy?

Scattered throughout the back of a shaky carriage, the heroes watched as large stone walls quickly grew around them, stretching towards the skies. The cold, grey-and-beige stone belied little as they entered the city of Ovalen. Guards patrolled the area, their grey armour clattering as they strutted back and forth. Citizens went about their business, but kept their children close, their paranoid faces darting back and forth along the narrow roads.

The carriage quickly rumbled to a stop, the horse at the head neighing.

An Ovalen guard opened the carriage door and ushered the heroes out, gesturing towards the tall watchtower that threatened to pierce the sky before them. It was shaped like a spear, its point noticeably taller than even the gargantuan walls of the city itself.

40d2ac644bca38ef38bb9b8ebd7faa55.png "The captain's inside. The stairs on the left head up to his office. Tenth floor. First door when you're off the stairs. I've a post to return to; Good luck on your travels."

The party hastily did as they were told, entering the tight hallways of the watchtower and climbing the spiraling staircase, soon reaching their destination.

They throw open the slate-grey doors to the office, making their dazzling entrance. A sweaty fellow with tied-back brown hair paced in front of a cluttered desk-- papers were not only piled high, but had spilled onto the floor, adding to the mess. Glancing around, the heroes noted that even the bookshelves were out of sorts; some books were upside-down, some were sideways, some were even placed in their spot spine-first. Chests lined the walls, things poking out from under closed lids. Gaudy weapons decorated the back wall underneath a narrow slit of a window. The sandstone walls outside were barely visible from where the heroes stood.

ca0708dc7a770341714dffa915d60b66.png

d56d063370c33f692d560b9388e619bc.png "It's about time you arrived, heroes," the man sighs. "I'm Charleton, a Captain of the Ovalen guard. You're all here...? If I remember..."

Rifling through his papers, Charleton struggles for a while, silently cursing under his breath.

"Sigh," he exclaims, finally hefting a packet of six papers triumphantly. "Let's see... Your heroes should be...

black_knight.jpgAlexandre le Chevalier, Orc-kin (Played by Capt.JohnPaul) *Immune to Fragile*

20 year old elf male Skirmisher

Level 30

Power Bonus: +1 (Growshroom Cap, Quest 103) (+6 total if in Front Row)

Defense: 20

Health: 54/54

Gold: 1

Equipment: Sword of the Elven Blademaster (WP: 17; ignores SP, +1 gold per successful strike), Cross Heater Shield (SP: 12), Fighting Boots (Power +5; footwear), (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect;bodywear), Gladiator Helmet (SP:3; headwear)

Inventory:

Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks)

• Feather Duster of DOOM (WP: 1), Butcher's Cleaver (WP: 5, throwing weapon)

• Bedroll,

• 3x Grand Potion, 2x Remedy, Neutralizer

• 4x Mead, Smelling Salts, 2x Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Ambrosia

• 3x Smoke Bomb

• 3x Deadly Venom, 3x Volatile Venom, Crimson Venom (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects for the duration of one battle),

• Tome of The Regret, 1 fine Montresorian Wine

8665348867_7a3fe1b756_t.jpgDyric Rone, Orc-kin (The Legonater)

Human male, Assassin

Level 28.33 *Steals 50% more Gold* *Immune to All Elements and Blinded* *Lucky*

Power: 55 (Level: 28 + WP: 27) (Power Bonus: 0)

Defense: 6 (SP: 6)

Health: 40/40 (base HP: 7 + Level bonus: 27 + Class bonus: 5 + Permanent boost: 1)

Gold: 142

Equipment: Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27; Ice- and Darkness-elemental; Longbow), Lucky Die (User is permanently *Lucky*; suitable for anyone; Accessory), Night's Helmet (SP: 6; immune to Water, Wood, Earth, Ice, Fire, Wind,Lightning, Light, Darkness, and Blinded; suitable for anyone; Headwear), Sticky Gloves (increases amount of Gold stolen by 50%; suitable for Rogues and Beast Warriors; Handwear)

Inventory:

• Requiem (WP: 20; Wood- and Light-elemental; Longbow), Tarok's Wrath (WP: 20, ½ chance to Instantly Kill orcs; Dagger), Double Chain Whip (WP: 10; Whip), Throwing Knife (WP: 4; Throwing Weapon), Pongcanis Dagger (WP: 8; Dagger), Crossbow of Incessant Warmongerers (WP: 14; on non-AoE rolls, also deals Damage to the enemies above and below the target upon a successful hit; Crossbow)

• Winged Sandals (immune to Bound and Slowed; suitable for anyone; Footwear), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3; immune to Ice and Water; suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors; Bodywear), Tricorne (SP: 3; immune to Lightand Darkness; suitable for anyone; Headwear)

Diamond

• Bedroll, Shovel, Magic Compass

• Potions (3), Grand Potions (4), Tonic, Remedies (2), Banana (restores full HP to target), Elixir, Cosmic Essence, Meads (2), Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Soma, Venom (2), Crimson Venom (Causes a weapon to deal the Poisoned by 7 and Cursedeffects for the duration of one battle), Mythril Shards (4/4 Mythril), Military Grade Light Bomb, Military Grade Darkness Bomb, Fire Bomb, Smoke Bomb, Diamond Lamp of Summoning (1/3 uses left), Bones (3), Skeleton Decoy

15951095392_24dacfb8ee_t.jpgGuts Holla (Scubacarrot) *Dancing**Dualstriking**Immune to Weakened, Fragile, Asleep, Confused and Blinded**Immune to Darkness, Light, Water, Fire, Air, Earth, Wood, Lightning and Ice Elemental Damage***Soul-Linked**

44 year old male human Alchemist

Level 33

Power Bonus: 2 (2 permanent bonus)

Health: 50/50 (7 base+32 level ups+10 class+1 permanent bonus)

Defense: 4

Gold: 1611

Equipment: Mythril Edge (WP: 61, Ice, Darkness, Light, attacks restore 3 health, dagger), Dancing Shoes (Wearer dances well, in the turn after a miss is rolled, the wearer can act twice. +Immunity to Asleep, Confused, Fragile, Weakened and Blinded, + Immunity to Darkness, Light, Fire, Air, Earth, Wood, Lightning, and Ice Elemental Damage, footwear), Crocodile Armour (+4 Defense +Immunity to Water Magic, bodywear), Magnar's Smaller Axe (Grants Dual Strike, can't wear shield. handwear),

Inventory:

- Grimmeau's Clothespin (Grants Immunity to first negative effect each battle. Headwear)

• Twin Sai (WP: 10, dual strike, dagger), Pronged Gauntlet (WP:6, dagger), M.U.C.A (WP: 12, bleeding 3, Axe)

• Jester's Hat (Wearer may choose to gain one immunity from targeted enemy, suitable for anyone), Rubber Gloves, Blessed Amulet (Immunity to Cursed, accessory), Pugilist's Gloves (2+ Power, Immune to Weakened, handwear)

• Beholder's Eye, Shovel, Telescope, Magnifying Glass, Pickaxe, Bedroll,

• 149x Potion, 12x Grand Potion, 4x Health Core, 2x Elixir, 4x Phoenix Essence, 8x Remedy, 2x Neutralizer, Tiger Balm, Crimson Serum (Grants Mutated Effect for one battle.), Arc Elixir, Hyper Arc Tonic (Restores All ether to allies, consumable), Bravado Brew, Cloud of Celerity, 2x Ambrosia, 14x Mead, 10x Smelling Salts, 10x Nostrum,

• 5x Smoke Bomb, Agni Bomb, Neptune Bomb, Fire Bomb, 2x Blind Bomb, 2x Confuse Bomb, 2x Poison Bomb, 2x Seal Bomb, 2x Sleep Bomg, 4x Stun Bomb

• 5x Deadly Venom, Crimson Venom (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned-by-7- and cursed-effects for the duration of one battle),

Topaz

(271 items)

hoke_ableword_1b.jpg

Hoke Ablesword - Champion of the Northern Kingdoms, The Krakenwhacker and Titan Smiter (UsernameMDM)

Mystic Knight

Torc the Brown Hatchling

Level 38 2/4 *Immune Fragile, Weakened, Confused, Sealed, Dark, Earns TRIPLE XP*

Power Bonus: 4 (+2 Grand Zoot's Cookie, +2 Pugilist Gloves):

WP Bonus: 4 (+4 Samurai Helmet)

Defense: 30 (+22 Steel Buckler, +5 Heavy Armor, +3 Flagpole)

Health: 62/62 (+10 Knight, +7 Mystic Knight, +38 Level, +2 Chicken Drumsticks, +5 Raw Meat)

Ether: 38/38 (+38 Level)

Gold: 993

Equipment: Hollow Flagpole (WP:10, +3 SP to the whole party whenever equipped, Hollow, lance), Steel Buckler (SP: 22), Samurai Helmet (WP:+4, immune Confused, Sealed suitable to knights, dragoons, regulators, winged warriors), Heavy Armor (SP:5, immune Fragile),Medal of Glory (Accessory - Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles), Pugilist Gloves (+2 to power, immune Weakened)

Weapons:Vintul (WP: 16; greatsword), Gladiator Trident (WP: 11, causes the Bleeding-by-5 effect; spear), Wasabi Blade (WP: 4, Fire-elemental long-sword), Blade of Tranquility (WP: 2, deals the Sealed effect, Long-sword)

Artefacts: Warrior's Treads (SP:2, Health +1), Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory), Cultist Hat (damage vs undead), Sharkskin Gloves (Accessory, provides immunity from water elemental attacks), Crocodile Handbag (Max Ether +2, accessory), Crocodile Belt (Max Health +2, accessory),Hydra Skin (SP: 2, wearer gains HP when poisoned instead of losing it, backwear), Helm of Prestige (SP: 5, +10 Max HP, Wearer is Permanently Blessed, Headwear, suitable for Paragons)

Gems: Opal (Ice), Ruby (Fire), Sapphire (Wind), Emerald (Wood), Aquamarine (Water), Amethyst (Darkness), Diamond (Light), Topaz (Lightning), Garnet (Earth)

Scrolls: Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep

Tools: Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel

Bombs: Dirt Bomb, 2x Smoke Bomb

Consumables: 2x Grand Potion, 2x Remedy, Grand Tonic, Phoenix Essence, 4x Ether Core, Elixir, Neutralizer, 2x Mead, Smelling Salts, Nostrum, 2x Dragon Scale (Grants lucky- and blessed-effects when consumed), 2x Titan Heart (Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), 2x Flame-Distilled Brandy, Dirt Bomb, 2x Smoke Bomb, 2x Venom-1, Venom-10, Zoot's Plaything (Special 3/4 Edition), Level Up Mushroom, Hydra Eye (worth 100 Gold), Hydra Tongue (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 3 and -1 SP effects permanently)

15622016117_ba91eaa5d2_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

264 year old female Elven Paladin

Level 32 *double experience**counterstriking**immune to sealed*

Power bonus: +8 (quest #102)

Defense: 2 (Leather armor 1 +lesser etherial cloak 1)

Health: 46 (Base Cleric 9 +Level bonus 31 -Quest #102 5 +Minstrel Bonus 11)

Ether: 44 (Base Cleric 5 +Level bonus 31 +Minstrel Bonus 4 +zoot cookie #102 1 +Lesser Etherial cloak 3)

Gold: 235

Equipment:Nocturne Flute (WP:6, causes asleep-effect, instrument), Lesser etherial cloak (SP:1, Max. ether +3, immune to sealed; backwear), Leather armour (SP:1; Bodywear), Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves.

Inventory:Battered wooden flute (WP:6, Darkness-elemental), Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14, Light Elemental, Meditate becomes hits, longsword), Shield (SP: 5), Mourning Star (WP: 10; Fire-elemental; inflicts Fragile-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is Slowed and Immune to Hastened; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to Blind),

Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired, Accessory, Suitable for Paladins), Helm of the Lord of Light (Headwear, Immunity to Light and Jinxed, Suitable for Knights), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3, Immunity to Ice and Water, Bodywear, Suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors)

Opal, Topaz, Diamond, Garnet, Sapphire, Emerald,Aquamarine, Ruby, Amethyst

Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion, Hundred Hero Hymn (Inspired-effect to all allies for 10 ether, song),

Grand Tonics (3), Potions (3), Elixirs (2), Remedies (6), Tiger Balm, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom (4), Fire Bomb, Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bomb, Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bomb, Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Ether Core, Grand potion, Ambrosia (4)

Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel and His 99 Pieces, the Super Sleuth (Played by Palathadric) **Soul-Linked**

463-year-old male "hermit" Artisan

Level: 31.5

Power: 38 31 + 7

Defense: 11

Health: 59/59 9 + 15 + 30 + 3 + 2*

Gold: 931

Equipment: Dual Staff (WP: 7, Ice, Lightning, Fire, Wind, Light; dual strike; staff), Darksteel Armour (SP:6, Max. Health +3; bodywear), Marauder’s Mantle (Grants permanent reinforced-effect; suitable to marauders; backwear), Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory,) Heavy Armour (SP:5, Immune to Fragile)

Inventory:

Weapons and Shields: Flying Cross (WP: 9, Darkness; broomstick), Magical Staff (WP: 15; Staff), Whip of Savage Overlords (WP: 9; ⅙ chance of inflicting the Slowed-effect; Whip), Steak (WP: 1, instantly kills vampires on successful hits; suitable for all), Staff of the Necromancer (WP: 12; damages Undead; +1 Level to raised Undead; Staff), Heavy Flail (WP: 5, causes fragile; mace), Anointed Gladius (WP: 8, damages Undead; greatsword), Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks)

Artifacts: Duplovian Helmet (SP:2, immune to Magic and Healing; headwear),, Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, Vermin with level less than half of the wearers are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4; backwear), Cloak of Necrotic Shielding (SP:3, provides Special Guard against Undead enemies; backwear), Rock Gauntlets (Suitable for anyone, grants the wearer Iron Fist at no ether cost, handwear), Soothing Slippers (meditation restores 5 ether; footwear), , Magic Viper Skin (heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle unless knocked out; accessory), Shackles of War (accessory), Strategist's Shako (+5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back; headwear), Cloak of the Barbaric Runecaster (SP: 3; wearer creates and deploys a Skeleton Decoy at the start of every battle; suitable for Battle Mages, Necromancers, and Scholars; backwear), Counterstrike Gloves (handwear)

Gems: 2 Amethysts, Emerald, Garnet, 2 Aquamarines, Ruby

Scrolls: Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blinding, Scroll of Arc Sleep

Consumables: 2 Potions, 12 Grand Potions, Cherry (Restores 1 ether), 4 Tonics, 2 Ether Cores, 7 Remedies, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), 2 Phoenix Incenses, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 5 Venoms, 5 Deadly Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, 2 Jinxy Juices, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Holy Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb, 2 Blind Bombs, 2 Seal Bombs, 2 Sleep Bombs, 13 Bones, Raw Meat (+5 max. health upon consumption), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently)

Tools: Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Shovel, Magic Compass, Magic Shovel (will always find something when used, limited to three uses per quest)

*Stickleback Brew

d56d063370c33f692d560b9388e619bc.png "Impressive lot. Hm. The papers say you have... 24 hours to confirm and make any last purchases at the marketplace before we get underway, whatever the Hells that means. It also says here to... designate a party leader?" Glancing over his papers, Charleton carefully inspects the heroes. "The hell's a party leader? Don't you already have some sort of commander or something? ...No?"

Sighing, Charleton tosses his papers back on his desk. They slide across, flying onto the floor beyond. He sighs loudly, rubbing his temples with his hands, exasperated. "If you don't come with a Party Leader, then one of you's going to have to step up. Any takers?"

Edited by Emjajoas

"Well, let's not have two party leaders or some sort of joint command... we know how that will turn out.."

OOC: Stats look good.

Stats looks gtg. May update with Marketplace transactions later. Just wanted to check in. Thanks for picking Hoke!

Ditto. Need to finish trades (or decide to leave them) and finalize some PM character stuff.

Note: I'm 150g down from the decamon tournament.

Edited by Chromeknight

Looks good.

I remove my Shako, Cloak, and Gloves and replace them with the Marauder's Mantel, and Heavy Armour.

Seeing the Soul Link Chain in my inventory, I pause and look at it for a second, I did like the sense of power it gave me when I wore it. I look around to see if anyone in my party would be interested in wearing the other side.

I should be 500 gold down for the Decamon Tournament. You might want to keep the amount of items in my stats, as it is important for one of my class rolls. Rest looks all good!

"I'm sure our Assassin of the light will do great as party leader. Pretzel, I'll take you up on that."

Guts removes the Grimmeau's Clothespin to make room for the other end of the chain.

Hoke makes his way to the meeting point and greets all of his fellow heroes.

"Don't believe we have properly met, Hoke Ablesword," he says to the monk.

"Monk Pretzel," I respond, sizing up the reasonable-looking knight. "It's a pleasure."

I apply the other end of the Soul Link Chain to my person.

I hand my shields to Alexandre.

"You can probably use these more than I can at present.

"Can you use my Gladius or my Heavy Flail? I'm not so familiar with your current class?"

Hoke shakes the monk's hand and pats him on the shoulder.

"You're taking point this time?" he asks the assassin, "I am sure you will do well, and I will be here to assist you if the need arises."

"Looks like we are waiting on the lady of the bunch," with a chuckle and a wink at Guts.

Edited by UsernameMDM

It's always nice fighting with you, Hoke. I return the gesture.

The goes for all of you. I've never seen so many familiar faces in a party. We're gonna wreck shop. :wink:

Hoke looks around the room a bit to see if something catches his eye.

"Captain, is there a reason for this mess?"

d56d063370c33f692d560b9388e619bc.png "Then this... Assassin will be your Party Leader," Charleton shrugs. "The chap seems... capable enough."

Hoke looks around the room a bit to see if something catches his eye.

"Captain, is there a reason for this mess?"

Other than the cluttered papers and meager decorations, the room seemed practically empty. The walls were bare-- the bookshelves were so disheveled that Hoke had a hard time making out what the books were about.

"Mess?" Charleton asks, glancing around with a heavy sigh. "I suppose it is... still messy. I had cleaned a little upon learning of your arrival. I've hardly the time to commit to cleaning these days, though, with this murderer on the loose and the Kingdoms threatening arms."

"Mess?" Charleton asks, glancing around with a heavy sigh. "I suppose it is... still messy. I had cleaned a little upon learning of your arrival. I've hardly the time to commit to cleaning these days, though, with this murderer on the loose and the Kingdoms threatening arms."

"What can you tell us about these murders?"

Nerwen slips in, nodding to Hoke and Dyric who she'd quested with before, blithely ignoring the alchemist and artisan.

Apologies for my lateness.

Nerwen's battered wooden flute is now WP:6 + Darkness. She has 235 gold.

Edited by Chromeknight

Charleton sighs. "What can I tell you?" he mutters, glancing over all of his papers. His voice starts tense, but his pitch slowly raises throughout his sentence as that tension doubles. "I can tell you they're terrifying. Our citizens are in an uproar. You must've seen them when you arrived-- Most barely leave their homes without reason. The city guardsmen are all on high alert at all times. We don't know who or what is causing it. We can't tell. Nobody's seen anything like it. The town watch is wary lest this be a terrorist attack. So far we've no evidence, but suspect Redstone. Word has traveled that they had Heroes help them with some strange magic that ended up killing their mage. That was months ago, though. But the bodies..."

d56d063370c33f692d560b9388e619bc.png "The bodies are mummified. We can't identify them. They show no traces of injury. We can't find the cause of death. We can't find the time of death. It... Might be best to show you. We found another body yesterday."

"Who is this Redstone? I've never heard of him. Though let's see the bodies as well. Maybe our healer can make something out of it."

d56d063370c33f692d560b9388e619bc.png "Redstone is the neighbouring Kingdom," Charleton replies with a vague hand gesture, presumably towards where the city sits. "They've been having their own troubles of late, which is partially why my superiors are...How did they put it? Skeptical of Redstone's innocence. And for the body, well, we haven't moved it yet. I thought it best that you see the scene of the crime for yourself. When you're finished asking questions, I'll show you the way."

"The bodies are mummified. We can't identify them. They show no traces of injury. We can't find the cause of death. We can't find the time of death. It... Might be best to show you. We found another body yesterday."

"I suppose if that is all then that is all."

"You have no evidence yet you are blaming a neighboring kingdom?" Hoke asks incredulously with a arched eyebrow, "Seems a dangerous game to play."

Hoke looked about the room once more.

"Yes, let's see the body. Are these animated mummies?"

Edited by UsernameMDM

Guts moves himself forward to stand next to Nerwen. "No clue of the victims? No one is missing? Any patterns, connections you have been able to figure out?"

Edited by Scubacarrot

d56d063370c33f692d560b9388e619bc.png"I'm afraid it's not my game to play," Charleton replies hesitantly. "I'm only privy to the information I receive. The higher-ups might know more. The bodies themselves aren't animated. They're dead. No traces of life. We can't identify the bodies, which means we've got no clues and no connections. What's more concerning is that nobody's reportedly missing. We can't even cross-reference. The only pattern is the state the bodies are in. They've been popping up all over town."

Nerwen says quietly to Alexandre,

We don't have a healer in the party. I used to be, but I'm a minstrel now. we have a Dragoon, an Alchemist and Artisan and Assassin and yourself, a Skirmisher.

To Hoke she says

Never fear, this is only act one. The suspect presented first is never the real killer.

I know plenty of paranoid suspicion between Kingdoms. Let's not assume any of it is true until we have evidence. Show us the body.

Never fear, this is only act one. The suspect presented first is never the real killer.

You're starting to sound like Docken.