markus1984

Battle of Hoth - IDSMO - Round1

"...the moon on the breast of the new SNOTted snow gave the luster of midday to the battle below..." :grin:

Beautiful Hoth scene! The trench, weapon emplacements, troops, the firing laser from the AT-AT... love it!

This is awesome man, really beautiful diodrama.

Great job and good luck in the contest.

Many, many thanks @all!

When all of you like it i hope the next round is fixed :classic: .

markus

Excellent work, markus1984! It's nice to see that you finally made one of your dream-diorama's, and although it isn't all that big (in your book, that is :wink: ), it still is very beautiful and has a certain vastness. Another work of art!

I love the way you made the snow. It's smooth like the eternal snow on the poles, and has some texture to it as well, making it more interesting. Those small bumps come in just the right quality, and they bring some 'action' to the scene as well, as you can imagine those are the results from lost blastershots etc. So it is nice how you put the peaceful nature against the battle. The perturbation of the snow is most apparent in the two sides: at the trench and around the AT-AT. I love how the snow is disturbed around the feet of the walker. One point of critique is that there are no previous footprints, however. The feet of the snowtroopers didn't leave any inprints in the snow, but it is even stranger that the AT-AT didn't leave any. In theory, there should be a footprint right in front of the most hind leg. Of course that are just details, and I don't think it bothers anyone, but I guess you try to make the most realistic scene possible, so why don't do that? (Maybe it's just to leave a small mistake in there so that I have something to say? :look: )

Really, that of the footprints is probably the only thing that could be improved. The snow is beautiful, especially with that black base. That really is an incredible sample of presentation, and I hope to see you future MOCs enhanced with similar class. But... if you pay attention to the presentation, you should also make sure that it comes through, or else a lot of the work you did gets lost. In this case, the photography has some faults here and there that make it a bit harder to appreciate the creation. The shadow of the AT-AT in the background, for example, is a bit distracting as nothing is supposed to be there. And the small grey areas standing out against the background around the sattelite dish shaped cannon in the first picture is a bit weird... So it would pay off if you invested some more time in picture editing. It would be nice to have a picture with the Hoth background, for example, for extra effect.

But I already said that there's nothing to say against the build. Once again, it's a stunning piece of building. The snow is quite novel, and the trench is absolutely beautiful. And I love seeing you come up with these 'new' kinds of presentation. So definitely keep it up! And keep improving in the little area's you're not yet a complete expert in.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

THANKS very much!!!

@Beaver

I write a little bit shorter than you :laugh: .

At first - speechless - i like everytime your honest feebback!

About the footprint: Yes thats right, the time was running and make footprints in an "snot floor" its a little bit difficult.

I have made some with the 1x1 snot brick but the hole doesnt look good in my opinion!

But on the other side, Hoth is an "ice planet" and the "iced snow" is to hard for the slight people :laugh: :laugh: .

Photo: And right again :classic: . When i was ready an all photos was up i saw the mistake on the cannon but than it was to late and i doesn`t like it too :hmpf_bad: .

And of course, many thanks for blogging the MOC and the StarWars Olympics on IDS.

cya

markus

I can't believe I hadn't commented on this already!

I love Hoth and always wanted to build a MOC or diorama like this (until the reality of no space at all to display it or even build it in the first place dawned on me!)

The size of this is deceptive... it doesn't look huge at first until you realise the size of the walker in scale to everything else.

As Beaver mentioned before the disturbance of snow around the feet and the odd break in the flatness works perfectly.

The trench is the my favourite part though... those slopes in front and the build up of snow at the back of the trench near the turrets really feels like it's been dug out.

I'd love to see you attempt something this size:

I actually prefers yours to this one but you have to appreciate the scale of the thing! ;)

Excellent work, Markus! This is by far my favorite scene in all of the SW movies, and you did a great job capturing in in LEGO.

Like the others, I especially like the trench. It is exactly like the one the Rebel dug out in ESB. The turret is fantastic, I wish TLG would make one so movie-accurate.

And I wouldn't worry about the lack of footprints. When its REALLY cold out snow is so hard that human footprints are pretty much imperceptible. :wink:

As a lifelong resident of the "frozen tundra" that is the state of Minnesota for five months out of the year, I give the snow-trench my official stamp of approval. That's absolutely the way a snow-dug trench looks, and those studs are in all the right places. :thumbup:

Thanks again gyus!!

@Bob

Yes, i have used the bricks but i think it Looks not so good with the hole in the middle!

markus