Sign in to follow this  
Luke McAwesome

High-Hide Concept Designs

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This is a concept design for the "High-Hide" from The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

(I'll add photos from the movie version later.)

The winch/tow cable first leads over a tall object(In this case, the boat mast.), then goes down to hook on to a Technic liftarm, and is connected in a way where it won't slide off. This was harder than you'd think to make, I had to find a way to make everything work perfectly. Sadly, I failed, as it does not work perfectly. Which is why this is just a concept.

V1

high_hide_v1_1.jpg

high_hide_v1_2.jpg

Minifigures can fit perfectly inside.

I quote and Eddie Carr and Ian Malcolm:

"It's a high-hide... A high-hide, you know, you go up, and you hide. High. It lets the researchers go up to the treetops, and puts them out of harm's way."

"Actually, you're putting them at a convenient biting-height."

high_hide_v1_3.jpg

Here's an accurate shot of how the winch works to pull the High-Hide up a tree or something of the sort.

high_hide_v1_4.jpg

And here's whta I had to do to make sure the car didn't roll forward. This really makes me angry, because it doesn't work to well. :wink:

(My Mercedes-Benz ML-320's camouflage isn't really developed yet. :grin:)

---

I'll be posting more pictures of different versions soon.

Striker

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Very cool design. Do you have any weights form LEGO boats? I know my police boat set had a LEGO weight, maybe you could add something like that to the truck to help it from rolling forward.

Very cool design. Do you have any weights form LEGO boats? I know my police boat set had a LEGO weight, maybe you could add something like that to the truck to help it from rolling forward.

Thanks!

And you read my mind, I was thinking about that too. There's room for one if I took out the back seats and crate! :sweet:

This has got a lot going for it :thumbup: The Benz is coming along nicely, and the hide fits the film great.

Could you have some sort of lever on the bottom of the car which can be rotated so that it presses against the insides of the wheels/tyres, thus locking them in place with the friction? I'm thinking one of these recessed into the bottom of the car, with some sort of technic beam/connector thing on it which can rotate to press against the wheels or not.

2476.jpg

This has got a lot going for it :thumbup: The Benz is coming along nicely, and the hide fits the film great.

SlyOwl, coming from you, that means a lot. :sweet: And I just added some more camouflage to the vehicle, all I need is a bit more reddish brown and green.

(I've even got Eddie made for a cliff sequence diorama.)

Could you have some sort of lever on the bottom of the car which can be rotated so that it presses against the insides of the wheels/tyres, thus locking them in place with the friction? I'm thinking one of these recessed into the bottom of the car, with some sort of technic beam/connector thing on it which can rotate to press against the wheels or not.

2476.jpg

I think I'll try that if I find one, or two would be nice, in my brick boxes. That's absolutely brilliant! It's like a homemade brake! Thanks. :classic:

Great idea! You could try making the wheels immobile by jamming them up at the bottom with technic axles and joints. That's what I do sometimes, to lock a wheel. It still might drag forward though. Maybe you could take a wide platform and just block the car straight to the floor, that would do it.

Great job on it though! I really like what you've done so far... though I've never seen Jurassic Park.

I used SlyOwl's idea... And it worked!

(There's also a few shots of the Mercedes-Benz here)

mb_1.jpg

The Technic connector gets stuck in the rivets, which immediately brakes the car from rolling. Genius!

mb_2.jpg

Here's a shot of the WIP version, still more camo to add. I'd like to get most of the outer bley off and make it like the film version.

mb_4.jpg

The 1x1 studs make sure it doesn't fly out without my say in it. :laugh:

mb_5.jpg

Here's the inside. I'm using a BrickArms PSG1 as the tranquilizer gun.

mb_6.jpg

Ouch...

(I also realized that this isn't like the scene because A) It isn't on a jungle cliffside, and B) the winch isn't holding on to an RV. :grin:)