Staslegomaster

Bluecoat's Arsenal - 2015

The MOC is called Bluecoats Soldiers Arsenal. It is based on 8396 set (2009) but I added a base plate as the Cheetah’s walking throne 70141 set. And also bluecoats’ large and nice flag to raise it up in the morning. We can see only a hairpiece on the soldier’s head but there are 3 hats to choose from and a wig: a private’s hat and brown epaulets, an officer’s three cornered hat and red epaulets – after career promotion, and an admiral’s hat and white epaulets. A wig and yellow epaulets when he becomes a governor. There are 2 cutlasses – silver and usual, a gun and a pistol. The silver cutlass is in the shoulder belt. There are 2 backpacks – brown and grey. Such a variety adds playability, the set can cost minimum so fans of all ages can buy a few to enrich their collection and thus have any mini figure – from a private to a governor.

I think this set would definitely fit into the LEGO Pirates Collection,

If you'd like to have this as a part of your collection, please support it in LEGO ideas. You can also see other pictures of the MOC there. What would you advise to improve?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/107251

2005781-o_19qj2q8ls16jdbem6dusp11k36r-full.jpg

DSCF6913.JPGDSCF6914.JPG

Well, every soldier dreams of becoming a general. So you can see how his carier can change gradually - a soldier - an officer - a general - a governor. Good luck to all of them!

Edited by Staslegomaster

Every Bluecoat's dream, it seems. But honestly, I don't see it happening. There's just too much equipment. Let aside some of it is early 90s, some combinations are just not 'Bluecoat', and all in all TLG would never release a set containing that many minifig accessories.

My suggestion: simplify it! You don't need two backpacks, four epaulettes, and three hats/hairpieces. Focus on the big flag if you like, and reduce the piece count of that 'armory' structure!

Brick on!

If I may suggest basing the set more on 4191 Captain's Cabin, but with a bluecoat theme, you could pull off a decent amount of accessories by increasing the brick count and by adding a couple minifigs... Perhaps a captain, a midshipman, and a valet?

Also by having several individual components you increase playability making it more appealing to many.

Just a suggestion but it's still a great idea on its own. Good luck!

Edited by Turkey

You don't need two backpacks, four epaulettes, and three hats/hairpieces. Focus on the big flag if you like, and reduce the piece count of that 'armory' structure!

Brick on!

As for the 2 backpacks - you're right. But the different epaulettes and hats are needed to change his image while his military career rises.

supported pirate_classic.gif

Thanks a lot for your support, I hope your LEGO friends will like it, too.

Sometimes I illustrate MOCs with my poetry devoted to LEGO pirates and other themes and upload them on the site www.lego-champion.comkhabarovsk

Edited by Staslegomaster

So as I promised and because you specifically asked my opinion, I have thought about some feedback on your creation. But I preface this with, I have not been doing this long, I am not an expert and I really just want to be helpful... so here goes.

Hmmm where to start, well as someone who collects pirate lego, sure I like it and I would buy a small set similar to this, I would probably buy multiples... but the things is, like you said Lego designed a similar set in 2009 and decided not to with the recent release of pirates, they must have had their reasons. Lego knows how to release battle packs and small sets, I don't think they need an Lego Idea to prompt them into doing so.

IMHO a lego idea should be stand alone piece (actually I read something along those lines on their website), I guess ideally you want to appeal to an untapped market (even if it is to get more votes for your idea, rather than design a sellable set for lego)... when the research laboratory sets came out my facebook feed was buzzing with excitement from non-AFOLs (are they NAFOLs?, okay buzzing is an exaggeration but more than one friend was talking about it), people who normally did not buy lego bought them, when I tell people I like lego, people tell me about this set. I bought more than one set... My sister thought I was crazy for getting into lego (actually she thinks I am crazy anyway so is wasn't so much about the Lego, really) I gave her a set for christmas and she was really really pleased with it, you get the picture...

So with all that in mind, to improve you idea, I would expand your set... just go ahead and copy the Research Laboratories template for now and have three small vignettes depicting the rise of the soldier (maybe even pick a real life person, it will catch peoples attention)... make the tiny scenes distinct and neat, something 10x10 studs and like others have said if you really want all those minifig accessories then build them into the scenes.

The reason I don't think your current up is actually very playable at all is because if you gave it to a kid they might take the main minifigure in your set up and make him the hero and then promptly lose all the pieces (I reckon Lego thinks like that too, I mean why else would they always give us multiple epaulets in all the sets... they think the kids can't be trusted, that or its a weird counting thing!). I think the accessories need some kind of little scene to anchor them down otherwise they'll just wander off and be lost forever. And if you are aiming for adults then you need something that can be built and placed on a shelf and admired... I feel like this doesn't really do either.

Obviously these are just some small suggestions and I would like to see your project go further so will keep an eye on it in the ideas website.

As shown this is a nice parts pack, although small children would probably be unimpressed with the lack of serious play features should something like this be released like in 2009. I'd probably buy it if it was available. Add another minifig or two and you'd really be talking.

Hi, Captain Dee. Thanks for your useful advice. I'll follow it as soon as my camera is repaired. Did you support it in LEGO ideas? Thanks again.

Edited by Staslegomaster

If I may suggest basing the set more on 4191 Captain's Cabin, but with a bluecoat theme, you could pull off a decent amount of accessories by increasing the brick count and by adding a couple minifigs... Perhaps a captain, a midshipman, and a valet?

Also by having several individual components you increase playability making it more appealing to many.

Just a suggestion but it's still a great idea on its own. Good luck!

I added a few mini figures to my LEGO ideas project, just as you had advised. Please have a look at my updates there and support.