Hello everyone I would like to share my RC truck that I nick named T-revva, because it reminded me of Trevor's truck in GTA and it had a motor on the back which powered a V8 that revved quite fast! The motor was purely cosmetic. However I did base the look of this truck of a matchbox toy that happened to appeal to me.

Ok so Here is the original truck in it's natural habitat.

10615916813_6e6e994dfb_c.jpg

My key ring has seen better days, though who can say that their key ring has a vehicle :tongue:

10615666324_7125b83fcd_c.jpg

10615911233_52370a5516_c.jpg

10615627625_311839438f_c.jpg

Serious suspension for a serious truck!

10615649625_7f2c601f5c_c.jpg

10615674385_e4e195ca63_c.jpg

10615697206_c703055535_c.jpg

Specs

Motors - 2x 5292

Weight - 1.5kg

Ratio - 3:1 or 1:3... I forget which is which

Full independent suspension - Yes

Colour - Red

Adjustable seats - Yes

Shock absorbed bumper - Yes

Revving engine - Yes

Tonka tough - Yes

Ok now the original truck had amazing performance, very tight turn circle, great climbing ability and speed was roughly quick walking pace, but I wanted to try and add to more 5292 motors, to see if it would further improve performance.

So I start with the drive system, I want to keep RWD. The challenge with this would be getting the power channeled through an extra two 5292's, I really like the independent suspension I had been using, it's proven in the last truck so why not? I did play around with live axle and trailing arms, but could not get either to work. Two more motors destroyed the uni joints straight away, so I came with this brilliant idea below to channel the power.

10972895463_78a2958eeb_c.jpg

The last truck used the portal hub on the right, this hub as we all know has one input and one output, the portal hub on the left is the one I will be using, the difference is that it has two inputs and one output.

10972661495_6644dcdb7e_c.jpg

You can see where the two uni joints will attach above.

10972647005_f55d9cc065_c.jpg

10972648615_cc4108f5b7_c.jpg

Here you can see my twin axle system come to live! The axles are attached to the fast outputs to insure that the uni joints don't have too much stress. The joints never came apart on my previous models and they got abused :laugh: The truck is now wider though :sceptic:

Thanks for reading, I will continue this WIP later. :classic:

Wow, it looks like it can run very, very fast... :D

Yes, you could gear it to drive fast, but the purpose is to plow grass and rough terrain, so the speed is reduced, but we will see, see if these extra motors have any real effect, if not I'll go back to the old build.

Awesome! That's an original system for sure. 2WD would be fun in the sand! :grin:

I can't wait to see it in action! haha :laugh:

Great truck. Look forward to a video. Can we get a mini fig with a face?

H

Haha I would like to, those minifig keyrings are $20 a piece nz dollar. But stay tuned I have a cunning plan!

Looking good! How much friction does the connector-built hub create? Also, with the space you have now, I think you might want to switch to these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=9244a The 1/2 stud offsets shouldn't be hard to work out.

Not a lot of friction, but wouldn't be as good as the smaller hub because more cogs and less rigid housing, you can try build one for yourself, I can take more pictures and you might find a way to make it better!

those look the money, will have to look into some of those.

And thanks to everyone for the nice comments!

Yes, they're hard to find in large quantities, but well worth the work. They are nearly invincible, much stronger than the new ones.

I don't know if I can improve the hub, but I can do it with the pictures already posted, you don't have to go to the trouble. Thanks for asking tho!

Wow really! Invincible! I would hope the hubs could be improved either smaller or lighter or stronger, would be cool.

@z3 They never have come apart in the past, but the center piece is longer now, these things seem to come apart when they can be squeezed sideways or over angled. You run over 10volts, I only run 8.4max, thats the difference.

Subframe is near finished and here is the finalish result

11005187975_7bf2a96601_c.jpg

11005290056_f19fbfeb52_c.jpg

Yes!... This thing is huge, very bulky and heavy 400g.

11005354324_4cc5145afc_c.jpg

WOW that is tanky! A lot of weight but that is 4 motors!

I'm very keen to see this in action now :)

Great job, looks very tough! :P

I must ask you one question - are you plannning to make a video of this awesome truck?

Yes I will take a video, be a while but I'll get there. Not sure If I am happy with the rear end, I wish I could do live axle...

Not sure If I am happy with the rear end, I wish I could do live axle...

Yes, that's right, you might have saved the CVs..., but, the rear end you built is not bad... ;)

Oh wow, this looks awesome! I don't know why, but I love heavy and bulky independent suspension. Live axle can get kind of boring, anyway. Great work! :thumbup:

What do you pan to power these four buggy motors? Are you going for two rc units or do you invest in sme third party rc stuff?

I can't decide, I like z3s idea of custom stuff, I have thrown together a 2 unit chassis but one of the units has a wearing receiver which causes it to stutter... And my third unit is even worse.

I have some third party stuff for my legos too and its easier than you would think it is but if you do not have any of it it is quite a investion to have a good rc system.

Compared to the rc-units it is well worth it tho. If you buy the right esc you can connect and supply 4 buggy motors easily and you don't need much space. A battery pack, the esc, a reciever and some cables. Being able to build small models and also have rc in them is another big advantage.

To sum it up, buying a third party rc system is a good idea. I had first bought a rc unit too but I burned it out by accidently shortcutting it and I didn't wanted to buy another one and so on.

I have some third party stuff for my legos too and its easier than you would think it is but if you do not have any of it it is quite a investion to have a good rc system.

Compared to the rc-units it is well worth it tho. If you buy the right esc you can connect and supply 4 buggy motors easily and you don't need much space. A battery pack, the esc, a reciever and some cables. Being able to build small models and also have rc in them is another big advantage.

To sum it up, buying a third party rc system is a good idea. I had first bought a rc unit too but I burned it out by accidently shortcutting it and I didn't wanted to buy another one and so on.

I would like to fit something like you mention in the RC unit itself? Do you have any knowledge on what could be done there? But yes I am sick of fixing these rubbish units. Quite funny there is a tandem thread on this :laugh: ATM

In theory it would be possible to fit it into the rc unit. You could even have the auxilary output and have the included servo. What should be icluded is a 3 channel reciever, a servo and two esc's.

Advantages:

- many mounting points

- could be even a solution for purists when you only modify the interns of the unit

Disadvantages:

- not as modular

- You eventually have to modify the unit for housing a battery pack