Sign in to follow this  
pogie

Terra cotta roof tiles

Been trying to figure out a way to replicate terra cotta roof tiles. Here's the results so far. Sorry for crap pics, my wife is out of town with the decent camera. She took the knowledge of how to orient pictures correctly with her too.

post-38346-0-15959100-1374567176_thumb.jpgpost-38346-0-85217200-1374567191_thumb.jpg

This roof looks really good, it definitely has the right look. I hope can post some better pictures of the roof and the temple soon.

I bet that Corydoras is correct. It is a SNOT technique using the hinged blocks. It is excellent.

I also laughed at the joke about your wife taking the knowledge of how to orient pictures correctly with her.

Car door pieces? Looks superb, thanks for sharing

:classic:

I believe he used door pieces to create the effect.

I put my money on this guess if you are talking about 1x3x3 doors.

http://farm3.staticf...df82943b_m.jpg

9349514109_3cdf82943b_m.jpg

Sorry still learning how to post pics. Hopefully the link works.

The tiles are created using 1x2 tiles and round technic connectors. I have a series of 4x plates that are overlapped two studs to make a shallow series of stairs. This creates the difference in elevation for the different courses of tiles. The 1x2 tiles are furred up with 1x2 plates so that they hit the technic connectors about halfway up. I realize full well that if this link does not work, this description makes no sense whatsoever.

In the building I have used black 1x2 plates as it creates a nice shadow line, that and I didnt want to buy a few hundred dark red plates.

Edited by CopMike

In the building I have used black 1x2 plates as it creates a nice shadow line, that and I didnt want to buy a few hundred dark red plates.

Still needed to buy a few hundred 1x2 tiles and technic connectors though! :tongue:

Nice technique, it looks really good and realistic but the downside is of course, as often is the case, the high piece count.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

you will almost need to buy the bricks directly from LEGO, such a huge amount for the entire roof! But... the effect is wonderful!!

Would be nice to create Spanish or Greek/Roman buildings with!

Yes, it's great for temples which have very simple roofs. I do not think it woul translate well to roofs with hips or valleys so villas or houses would be a challenge.

How do you prevent the connector pieces from falling all from between the two tile pieces?

How do you prevent the connector pieces from falling all from between the two tile pieces?

At first I had the roof plates set at an elevation where the bottom technic piece would be hitting right at the top edge of the cornice. Once the bottom was secure, each would then in turn hold the one above it. I then noticed in looking at pics of temples, that some had decorative elements on top of the cornice in front of each round tile. This worked much better and looked nice as well. I used the "tooth" piece pointing up. I will try to get some better pictures up in the next few days.

Thank you for the kind comments.