Scania R-series Topline from Post #174

2scania_topline1_side.jpg

Updating the Scania R-series 4x2 Highline from Post #183

1scania_2.jpg

MAN TGS 8x4 Cement Mixer from Post #183

1man_tgs.jpg

Volvo FM 8x2 Container Transport from Post #233

2version1_1front1.jpg

For every creation I present there are a lot of ideas that never get shown. I will use this thread to show my latest WIPs, ideas and prototypes of Model Team creations, which typically means trucks with Power Functions.

Feel free to chime in with comments, ideas and critique.

Edited by Lasse D

I am going to guess some type of Scania truck? Are the rims for the truck custom painted? because they look really cool with the trucks color scheme.

Looks amazing so far!

tim

It kind of looks like the one below :laugh: -- is it an American Freightliner?

iStock_000004776686XSmall.jpg

Content of first post by me

Right now I'm building a 6x2 truck. The steering motor controls additional functions. When the steering is locked to one side, the power is transferred to the coupling, but I have added an additional function. The middle wheels lift when the coupling is disengaged, but I'm not yet satisfied with it. There is not enough power to lift it properly. Besides, steering normally will make the wheels move too. There is an additional problem that the frame isn't stable and bends upwards a little. I'm sure I will find a solution eventually, but this is the progress I have so far.

180_faw_jul11.jpg

construction1.jpg

Content of second post by me

No right guesses yet. Hint: I only build one truck of each maker. Here is my current collection.

I might have found a solution to one of the problems. I will try it out tonight and perhaps make renderers of the mechanisms for you guys to see (if I get the time).

Edited by Lasse D

Actually. I have built an Actros, but it has not been revealed here yet.

Now to the mechanism.

mechanism1.png

Power is transferred by the diff from the M-motor. The red route controls the coupling, while the green uses the pink handle to lift the middle pair of wheels. For the green line I'm relying on the clutch toward the motor has more friction than the one toward the rear. Unfortunately the system is limited by the red route which only allows for about 20 degrees of rotation, which is too little to run the green line. I'm looking at an alternate way that only uses the red line with some different clutches, but feel free to present your own ideas :)

Edited by Lasse D

A gear box would be best i think you could make a 3 funtion one: lift axles,unhitching,stearing/drive.

Have you tryed the other clutch gears?

now you said you are having trubble with the grean line what about gearing it up or somehow making more friction by some kind of weight? then gearing it up or down

Yes. The M motor powers all 3 functions without any gearbox or external shifter.

I have just built a new version where the red part is geared down by 3, the coupling uses a clutch and the middle wheels are lifted without clutch. The green part is stationary and it seems to work! I had to do some voodoo tricks in order to make the coupling work, but it's all legal. I expect to post pictures once it's light again (I have to use a very old camera since my new one broke down).

Thanks. I'm all about those mechanical details in as little space as possible.

I am going to guess some type of Scania truck? Are the rims for the truck custom painted? because they look really cool with the trucks color scheme.

Looks amazing so far!

tim

Forgot this comment. The rims are from the two large republic gunships that LEGO has released. The front wheels are from the old one which used the rims made for Model Team, while a thin tire separates the rear wheels which are mounted on the new rims which aren't made for Model Team tires.

Front: 2695_71.png

Rear: 70162_0.png between 60208.1242441514.jpg

I never paint my bricks ;)

Now back to the new unknown truck. I have updated the mechanism as mentioned:

179_faw_aug11.jpg

mechanism2.png

YELLOW: Steering. When the steering blocks, the power is transferred to the rest (red).

RED: Geared down by 3 compared to last time. The clutch mechanism has moved to the coupling itself so the green mechanism can move even when the red is blocked.

GREEN: New mechanism to lift the middle axle. The added torque and angle of movement makes this part work, finally!

And for those who still want to guess what I'm building, I have a little more of the front now.

construct2.jpg

Now I have to find a smart way of making the battery box easy to replace once the cab is built. I have made a very simple way of doing this with my cement truck, which I can show later.

Edited by Lasse D

Its a renault. :laugh:

It looks great,i must try my hand at building a 'model team truck' some time.:classic:

Looking at the setup i guess the lifting and lowering of the second axle works by the conecting of the trailer.?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

But he already built a Renault. :wink:

Nice work so far Lasse. The coupling mechanism reminds me of the coupling in 8872, although this looks (and from the pics I think it works) different.

And why can't he build a new one ?

I find your creations beautiful and very ingenious, Lasse D !

Thank you. It is my own rule that I will only build one truck of every maker in order to ensure variety. This particular truck, however, will be made in two versions: The one I'm working on now and a simple version that is much tougher and easy to build using instructions.

But he already built a Renault. :wink:

Nice work so far Lasse. The coupling mechanism reminds me of the coupling in 8872, although this looks (and from the pics I think it works) different.

Good call Richie. 8872 was the truck that led me to improve the coupling system over time.

History time!

(Click on the pictures for the complete galleries)

Back before 2003 I used the simple turntable from 5580 and 5590 as the fifth wheel. The police truck from back then took it a step further and allowed an x-axle from the trailer to turn the truck. This was "Type 1":

lastbilendes.jpg

My "Mini truck" back then did not allow for steering from the trailer.

1minitruck.jpg

Type 2 was a system inspired by 8872 which allowed for automatic coupling that locked. It was a simple system where an x-axle would go into the tilting clutch. This system was compatible with the old one, but not easy to use. This was in 2003.

uds.jpg

I quickly got tired of the difficulty of using this system because of the precision required. System 3 allowed for a larger knob on the trailer and was thus much easier to use. This system still used a tilting part on the truck and pretty much a copy of what you see on 8872. I used this system from 2003 to until 2009.

2couplingclosed.jpg

In 2008 I changed to coupling system type 4 which is the one I use today. It allows for an even larger knob (2x2 round brick) and is more reliable than previous version by simply having a latch. Here is the Mini truck from 2009:

2truck_rear.jpg

The police truck is now my Scania which uses a compatible variant of the same system.

rear1_resized.jpg

And a bonus. The youtube video showing system 4 in action:

Edited by Lasse D

And back to the FAW Jiefang. I have now completed the first iteration of the truck. Now it's time to see how it hold up and where to improve it before ordering the missing parts (dark red cheese).

building3.jpg

It is supposed to be a container transport, so I have to build a 40ft. trailer for it.

I already have a small trailer for a 20ft. container. Instructions: http://c-mt.dk/instructions/models_trailer-ContainerTrailerSmall.htm

ContainerTrailerSmall_0_15.png

The leg of this trailer is manually operated.

The 40ft. trailer should have an automatic leg where the leg goes down when the rear bumper is pushed. In other words. It's ideas time!

Edited by Lasse D

May i ask what you use for your windscreen?(on your new truck)

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

May i ask what you use for your windscreen?(on your new truck)

The one from the UCS Imperial Shuttle and Grand Emporium. It is a re-release of the 12x2x4 windscreen from the later Model Team models such as Black Cat.

Very impressive, Lasse.

Is the truck a Sino? Are you going to make the trailer extendable, or a fixed length?

Very impressive, Lasse.

Is the truck a Sino?

Hino? which is owned by toyota :sweet: (which makes them very reliable) any way back to the lego. :laugh:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan