Sign in to follow this  
dunamis

Super Battle Droid Problem

I bought a number of the Droid Battle Packs back in January. I took 18 of the Super Battle Droids out and placed them on a baseplate and put them up on a shelf for later.

Well, about 4 months go by and I look up and about half of them are bending over. I went to straighten them up and the torsos came right off. The clip on the leg was not broken but when I tried to re-attach the torso it was not tight, i.e. the clip would not hold it up. Strangely, this is only on about half of the 18. The others are tight and stand up straight.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

Well i have had this problem with normal battle droids but not super ones.

I got a response from Steve Witt (LEGO community relations coordinator) which seems to make sense:

It sounds like its just a tolerance issue. Different runs will have slight variations. The way it happes is they'll make a set of legs and torsos so that they're within the same tolerance and they'll stay together the best. This way they're accounting for any difference in the way the machine punched out the parts.

Here's my theory about what happened. The Legs are a smaller part and can therefore produce more out of one mold. this means that legs may often bleed over into many different runs of torsos. This means that the different tolerances on the legs will match up better with some groups of torsos than others. The difference though will be so minute that the human eye may not be able to catch it, but its definately there and is simply part of the process.