Sign in to follow this  
Jacked Lego Maniac

Knighton Infantry

It's probably fairly obvious that I'm an unabashed Nexo Knights afficionado. However, my love for the theme is not entirely unreserved. One aspect of it that I don't particularly care for is the idea that the Knighton Royal Soldiers are robots, both because I have an intense dislike of robot proxy-soldiers to begin with and also because they seem entirely redundant alongside the Clay/Lance/Aaron/Macy/Axl/King's bots.

With that in mind, I wanted to set about reworking the Royal Soldier minifigures with the idea that they were human troops troops tasked with backing up the Nexo Knights in battle. First of all, I discarded the great helms/kettle hats that the figures came with (they're not quite aesthetically congruent with the other armoured bits from the theme with their exposed bolts and whatnot) and replaced them with Ultimate Clay helmets fitted with Aaron visors, which I felt were the most "generic" if you will of the various Knights'. Then I outfitted them with the solid flat silver armours from Ultimate Robin and a few other sets. The idea is that the Nexo abilities that the Knights utilise is incredibly power-consuming, and thus can only be deployed on a very limited scale, hence their use is restricted to the Knights themselves. The common soldiers instead have ordinary powered armour without the Nexo uplink (and thus no glowing orange pauldrons. Finally, I wanted some weapons for the troops in the style of Lance, Axl or Macy, rather than generic spears and longswords. I really wish the lightsaber handle and round 1x1 open studs were available in flat silver, but on the whole, I'm quite pleased with the results. After all, who doesn't love a translucent neon-orange chainsaw? :classic:

image_zps85lscunj.jpeg

Edited by Jacked Lego Maniac

Love that you actually changed the armor to silver and the helmets so they dont look like the regular guards with yellow heads, but like an actual troop division!

Little subtle changes go a long way to making these guys stand out. How about a standard bearer for them? (the Chima lion Tribe pack had a nice banner)

Flip that hammer thing around and it's a Ninjago cultist scythe from 2015!

Really, I do agree. I do hate how troops are always super generic and are usually just filler. I don't even think we saw these guys in the show.

I'm waiting for the day where a normal troop actually takes out the hero/one of them. But I guess they can have a splash of personality until then.

Edited by gamejutzu

I love the hammers as it is a very cool design! I also agree about the issue of personality, I've found it is hard to make unique looking "extras" while still keeping them inline with the general theme.