Sign in to follow this  
Starwars4J

Very WIP SHIP

As the title says, this thing has just barely started, but chuck wanted some WIP shots so I figured I'd post it here to get some comments and ideas before I plunge too deep into it.

First, here's the computer-rendered concept art. In other words it's a crap drawing I made in paint in 5 minutes because I can't get to my scanner. It looks really simplistic, but that's because I can't put little details into paint because I suck at it. Anyway, here it is. Like I said nothing impressive, but actually hammering the dome out proved to be the most difficult to work out. I have a bunch of 1x4 hinge bricks with teeth on two sides lined up so that the natural give of the click hinges to get the curve of the dome. I used that as the spine for the ship. then I laid a pair of connected 1x2 hinge bricks with teeth on both sides in groups of three to give the right shape and strength to it. I'm then trying to taper it off as they go down, though it will be a bit awkward when I get to the end, but I'm still waiting for the next BL order to come in.

It will be three decks, with the bottom deck being taller than a normal one, about 2/3 the height of the dome, to accommodate a hanger. That should fit four fighters, a transport (yet to be built), a bomber (yet to be built), and 6 assault droids. The fighters will have doors that open on the sides to let them out, and for ground invasions there will be a large section of the floor that lowers down via a gear mechanism and turnable knob in the back. The bridge will be in the front of the bottom deck. The dome will be divided into two decks, the bottom housing the bunks for the crew of 60 in the back, and the galley/facilities in the front. The top floor is planned to have just a small area for missile tubes on the sides that will come out through the shell, and small tunnels to 5 turnable quad turbolaser turrets positioned around the poles of the ship on the dome. A med bay will exist somewhere along the bottom deck, but that'll get thrown in there when I get to it...

There will be a color theme of dark blue taking up the corners of the bottom 'fins", with trans dark blue plates making lines of 'emergency lights' along all the hallways. My biggest problem is that I'm not sure how to do the whole elevator thing...I mean I don't think stairs would make a lot of sense of something this high-tech. And yes, I do plan on tiling the dome ;-)

I've made some minor details I've worked out that I want to use for the ship.

This is gonna be the holoprojector for the bridge, these are gonna be the missiles, and I plan on these being handrails around the tubes mentioned earlier, and around the hanger. Similar greebs involving just two of those silver robot arms and a rod will be used in groups of 10 along the side of the SHIP.

I know it's barely started, but any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Like with that elevator thing...:-P I'll update this thread as it comes more into fruition.

Sorry for the mess, I'm sort've building it on the edge of a table right now. Still need to finish organizing.

As of 9/6/2007

upload0013rc2.jpg

upload0011bc8.jpg

Edited by Starwars4J

This looks like the start of a very impressive ship.

I'll be monitoring your progress.

Same here.

The idea sounds great. Really detailed with the decks, the hangar, the holoprojector and all.

Sound terrific *sweet*

Can

I'll be watching too. This looks like it's gonna be a great ship. I especially like the simple holoprojector, maybe add a (not sure what they're called :-$ ) Mini-dome thing with one stud on top, in transparent light blue. Erm, round, 2x2? Sorry, I don't know the terms. :-$

Do I see LEGO salt & pepper shakers back there?

This look incredible and sounds like quite the project. Will you use those exposed plates to make the hull extra greebly? I know how you love your greebles.

That lamp is hideous. :-P

Thanks for sharing. Have fun and finish it quick! We don't have all day to wait... :-P

I'll be watching too. This looks like it's gonna be a great ship. I especially like the simple holoprojector, maybe add a (not sure what they're called blush.gif ) Mini-dome thing with one stud on top, in transparent light blue. Erm, round, 2x2? Sorry, I don't know the terms.

You mean those disks? One of these? You mean upside-down on the exposed hole?

Yes, and the ice cube trey is stage right :-| See? "stage right", I'm even talking in your own language

This look incredible and sounds like quite the project. Will you use those exposed plates to make the hull extra greebly? I know how you love your greebles.

Nah, it's gonna be tiled with dark blue sections on the 'fin' flaps. I mean there will be plenty of greebs, just not there :-$

That lamp is hideous. :-P

It's actually really nice, you just can't see it :-/

Thanks for sharing. Have fun and finish it quick! We don't have all day to wait... :-P

Should be ready within the year...

Thanks for the support everyone :-$ I'll keep this updated, I had some great ideas in the middle of a class X-D

You mean those disks? One of these? You mean upside-down on the exposed hole?

Yep, but rightside up, so it looks like the projector.

Yes, and the ice cube trey is stage right :-| See? "stage right", I'm even talking in your own language

Actually, since you're using a camera, it would be camera left. Stage right is camera left and it would only be camera left if it's off to the left of the camera from the cameraman's pov. Stage right is from the actor's pov...

So, it seems you don't know much about...actor (?)...language as you thought. Go back to class, ya' weinie! :-P

Actually, since you're using a camera, it would be camera left. Stage right is camera left and it would only be camera left if it's off to the left of the camera from the cameraman's pov. Stage right is from the actor's pov...

So, it seems you don't know much about...actor (?)...language as you thought. Go back to class, ya' weinie! :-P

I know that and it was stage right :-| and leave my wenie out of this >:-(

I know that and it was stage right :-| and leave my wenie out of this >:-(

your weinie is your face! >:-(

Oh man you got. Seriously though that would make my life so much better if it were true :'-(

I do hear dick-faces have it easier :-/

This looks like quite a project, i'll be sure to keep an eye out for updates. I like the idea of the holoprojector, to me that's really original, if i'm understanding its function correctly. Also I'm wondering what aspect of the elevator thing your having trouble with?

Also I'm wondering what aspect of the elevator thing your having trouble with?

Figuring out how to do it. Should I include a motor? Should I make a shaft? Should it be like a tube? It's so hard/confusing to make an elevator on a SHIP, there's so little room to spare

oh i didnt think space would be an issue. If it was something specific i thought i'd try to come up with something. I guess a motor sounds like a neat idea if its feasable

Edited by john cleese

New turret design for the cruiser. I built it in a couple of hours, so it probably needs a little refinement, but that's what this place is for, right? X-D

turret0002.jpg

turret0001.jpg

turret0003.jpg

turret0004.jpg

turret0005.jpg

There will be five in all on the ship. Designed to rotate about a turntable with the actual guns being rotate-able. The hole in the floor is where the gunner enters from the tube mentioned earlier. Seated in there is a soldier from the pilot category, as the training was similar.

Gallery for the turret can be found here

Gallery for the soldier types can be found here whenever BS goes back up (i.e. I'll edit it in later)

Edited by Starwars4J

the bottom housing the bunks for the crew of 60 in the back

Now I want to see that! Sorry, I missed this post but I will be sure to keep track of it. *sweet* Do you have most of the pieces yet?

I have one of those too. I will be giving it a test run tonight. 8-

Now I want to see that! Sorry, I missed this post but I will be sure to keep track of it. *sweet* Do you have most of the pieces yet?

Well a lot of it is in the design stages right now, but it's very satisfying to see it really starting to form *sweet* I don't have most of the parts...so let's just say BL is gonna be a close friend these next few months :-$ Coming soon should be the 400-odd hinge bricks I need to finish the skeleton...

So you're going to have it so the crew can get in and out of places? This sounds like my kind of ship! *wub* So far I like the turret, especially the window usage. Until I see it on the ship I can't comment more.

(Is this for your existing story, or is it something new?)

Of course, how else would they get anywhere? :-D It needs to be functional, as close to a real ship as I can get. You need to have everything accessible...hence my dilemma of the elevator :'-(

You need to have everything accessible...hence my dilemma of the elevator :'-(

To be honest, I doubt I would go that far. :-$ I would be happy with just some form of access. Besides, in my experience, modern warships don't have crew elevators. Cargo elevators for ships with around 200 crew, yes, but the crew are expected to walk. :-| I don't even think the US Nimitz class have crew elevators... 8-| Thus I don't see elevators required for a ship of under 100. I served on ships of over 300 (with 60 crew members sleeping in one room :-X ) and stairs really weren't a problem.

Back to Lego, I have built elevators before for buildings (years ago so no photos :'-( ) and I found that weight wasn't enough to make them move down, I found you needed a full loop of string attached to the top and bottom to ensure they didn't jam up. But I am not really sure what you have in mind so this may not be your problem.

To be honest, I doubt I would go that far. :-$ I would be happy with just some form of access. Besides, in my experience, modern warships don't have crew elevators. Cargo elevators for ships with around 200 crew, yes, but the crew are expected to walk. :-| I don't even think the US Nimitz class have crew elevators... 8-| Thus I don't see elevators required for a ship of under 100. I served on ships of over 300 (with 60 crew members sleeping in one room :-X ) and stairs really weren't a problem.

Well you're the expert :-$ I hope you know, now you've just volunteered to be my personal military ship detail female canine encyclopedia >:-)

But really, my reasoning was that if a civilization was so advanced as to have a fleet of battle-ready space ships, then elevators would have eliminated completely the need for stairs. The problem with this, however, would be the waiting I suppose...especially if people need to get to their stations in a hurry :-X I do have an elevator planned, as mentioned above, for the docking bay though, just a large section of the floor that will lower down to the ground to let out ground troops/assault droids/tanks, so I guess that's similar to the cargo elevator in a way...

Well you're the expert :-$ I hope you know, now you've just volunteered to be my personal military ship detail female canine encyclopedia >:-)

My pleasure! I have no problem being someones "female canine"... :-D

But really, my reasoning was that if a civilization was so advanced as to have a fleet of battle-ready space ships, then elevators would have eliminated completely the need for stairs. The problem with this, however, would be the waiting I suppose...especially if people need to get to their stations in a hurry :-X

Well, you probably have seen the slide-down-the-handrails trick on those wonderful 60 degree stairs in movies. While it was not encouraged, it is very easy to do (the hard part is stopping!), and you can get down very fast. Up isn't that hard either but your legs hurt a lot for the first few days at sea. Thus I think stairs are faster. They also work with no power.

I do have an elevator planned, as mentioned above, for the docking bay though, just a large section of the floor that will lower down to the ground to let out ground troops/assault droids/tanks, so I guess that's similar to the cargo elevator in a way...

Not much choice there! :-P That's relatively easy to do anyway if you are prepared to have that consist of just a floor and "cables". I'm actually considering doing something similar in my improved Staunch...

Not much choice there! :-P That's relatively easy to do anyway if you are prepared to have that consist of just a floor and "cables". I'm actually considering doing something similar in my improved Staunch...

Well, no string/cables will be used. I'll have a technic gear setup, so that when I turn a knob in the back, the teeth of a gear will lower the floor via those 1x4 plates with teeth on top, but on the vertical. If that doesn't make much sense you'll see when it's built :-P