LiamM32

2013 Train Sets

There will probably be new city trains released for 2013 to replace the old ones.

I hope that power functions doesn't get replaced, but some new PF pieces might be good. What I would like is a PF charging station and pickup brick. This would allow someone to recharge their train on the track when it stops on a small length of track; the charging station.

For train sets: What I want for city is a partially elevated rapid transit set. This would include new ramp tracks. This idea might be too advanced for city though. For exclusives I would like to see a high-speed train. Extra cars would be good for me, but not very marketable to the mainstream.

For train tracks, I would like to see ramp tracks and a 90 degree crossing. There should also be a switch track with a standard 45 degree curve on one way and straight on the other. Switch tracks should use technic switches.

There will probably be new city trains released for 2013 to replace the old ones.

You revived an ancient thread with your post. I created a new topic for you instead.

For our policy on topic 'bumping', please refer to our Site Guidelines (more specifically here).

I hope that power functions doesn't get replaced, but some new PF pieces might be good. What I would like is a PF charging station and pickup brick. This would allow someone to recharge their train on the track when it stops on a small length of track; the charging station.

For train sets: What I want for city is a partially elevated rapid transit set. This would include new ramp tracks. This idea might be too advanced for city though. For exclusives I would like to see a high-speed train. Extra cars would be good for me, but not very marketable to the mainstream.

For train tracks, I would like to see ramp tracks and a 90 degree crossing. There should also be a switch track with a standard 45 degree curve on one way and straight on the other. Switch tracks should use technic switches.

I agree that new PF pieces would be good. I would love a motor that is a bit more flat than the M motor and has an axle running all the way through, but it would have limited appeal I suppose.

A subtle looking PF switch so that you did not have to expose the battery box power would also be nice.

I want to see a crossing as well. Electric switches like the 12V days would be good.

I would buy a modern train station if I they made a cool looking one. I loved 8404, I bought 2 of them for parts but the designer of that would probably make a killer station that I would probably like to build.

With the introduction of the servo motor, Id like to see PF switches and maybe a PF level crossing.

With the introduction of the servo motor, Id like to see PF switches and maybe a PF level crossing.

As Mrklaw mentioned, the new Technic and PF elements (Servo and L motor) could have an interesting roll in making more pistons, and steam locomotives... points (switches) and locomotives.

I too want to make a list to Santa....

I would like the PF components to get as far as possible away from the trains! I would like 9V reintroduced along with the 12V accessories (ofcourse converted to 9V). default_classic.gif

Those will be release very soon (in the process of production, not from LEGO but from us ;))

You could make yourself a nice charging station with some 12v parts. Question is, how long would you have to charge the LEGO battery to get a decent run time?

I have made one of these which are very simple to make.

I have made one of these which are very simple to make.

They are, but it is difficult to include it nicely into LEGO (but it is doable ;)).

im gonna go out on a limb and say that i'd love to see a locomotive hauled passenger train for once, every main passenger set since the late 1980's has be some sort of high speed passenger train. and i feel it'd be nice to have something different for a change, even if there's a control panel in one of the coaches to make it a push-pull set, i'd be fine with that.

and i'td be nice to be able to change locomotives between passenger and goods sets without looking utterly ridiculous.

just my 2 cents ;)

Is there a thread on here?

No there is not, maybe I can put one on this weekend. Also I'm going to put up a thread of a train in my home town. So there is something to look forward to!

im gonna go out on a limb and say that i'd love to see a locomotive hauled passenger train for once

Oh, that would be cool. How about a green steam locomotive with a tan and brown passenger car?

;-)

I'm only asking for one thing: a box with only straight track.

Wagons and train related sets, with wagons in them. Like the old times. There's a thread somewhere about it.

Refinery: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=149-1

Cargo station:http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=165-1

165-1.jpg?0

Snow remover: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4533-1

4533-1.jpg?0

Flatbed: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4543-1

4543-1.jpg?0

Container wagon: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=4549-1

4549-1.jpg?0

Simple mail/cargo wagon: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7819-1

7819-1.jpg?0

Hopper: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=10017-1

10017-1.jpg?0

I would also like a non rail car / high speed passenger train, preferably not one that has a pantograph making it look ridiculous without all the overhead cables to go with it.

Working points / switches and some electric signal sets would be good. I guess the signals are easy enough to make though I have not put my mind to that yet.

I've say it before and I'll said it again.

I have been thinking that the best way to expand the train line is to issue smaller sets that feature an industry or small freight operation. Each set would have four straight rails, one freight car, a minifigure or two, and a loading structure and/or vehicle.

For example, you could build a loading dock for produce (with all the fruit and vegetables TLG makes in minifigure size), with a refrigerator car and a tractor hauling some full crates. Or a log loader, with a flatcar and a log loader vehicle, and some logs made from 2x2 round bricks. All a tank car loader would need is one tank car, a tanker truck, a small catwalk for the tank filling equipment, and a couple of storage tanks.

This way, there's some KFOL play value, and it integrates with the train set line. It could even cross over to other City subthemes.

(what I said)

Edited by Rustie86

Yeah, I also agree that TLG should tie Trains more into their City line (and to other lines where applicable). It would be great if for example the next iteration of the harbour contained a siding with some freight cars and a small shunter. Or if they made a factory or logistics centre-like building also with a siding and so on. Maybe even a small working mine train for the Mining subtheme.

If they ever pick up the Western theme again (hopefully they'll do to some extent thanks to the CUUSOO success of Modular Western Town) they should really make a Western train station with a steam train. Just like Kris Kelvin's Piff-paff City moc. It's also on CUUSOO and in my opinion absolutely worthy of support.

And I agree that it would be time again for a normal, non-high speed diesel or electric loco pulled passenger train. Or maybe for a smaller tank (non-tender) steam engine in their normal, non-exclusive line. The small steam engines of the 80s were great and I'm sure something like those updated to current aesthetics would rock.

Oh, and let's not forget about a classic train station a la 4554 Metro Station. Something that looks good in a town dominated by Modular Buildings.

...issue smaller sets...

I completely agree: lately all issues have been monster sets (identical to monster investments).

It could be fun with a few releases of single cars and an engine within one or two themes

(like people or freight transport). This will be a cheap and easy way to extend the rolling stock.

It would be nice to see Lego doing packs of mixed train parts. Buffers, wheels, doors, windows, the bricks with the lines in them and the bricks with the handles on them. The curved roof pieces, the big driving wheels, the cowcatchers. A few of those in a bag with a bunch of regular bricks would be something I'd buy whenever I had a few pounds spare... and I could do so much to my existing Lego train collection with those parts. Picking up one or two on eBay or bricklink when they're available is frustrating. If I could get a bag of assorted train parts (in assorted colours. Red, yellow, black, blue, white, brown, green and grey in every single bag!) I'd do it as often as I could afford, as a way to build up the parts I need to create the locomotives and rolling stock that I want.

Of course, this is a pipe-dream. Lego won't ever do that. I'd settle for a steam engine that has working valve gear which is nicer and more authentic looking than that on the Emerald Night (which tends to stick anyway). It'd be nice to have a Black Five or a Princess Class style loco, with the associated valve gear. Of course, part of that would be producing a "half-thick" beam for the connecting rods, or producing a spacer for using with the half-thick beams and friction pegs. These are two of the issues which make valve gear and track rods look ugly at the moment. For me, at least. Your mileage may vary.

I'm getting back into Lego trains after having put them away for a while - I'd gotten them out of storage whilst at a bit of a low point, and needing something to occupy myself with, then put them away due to the high cost of getting the parts I wanted for the locomotive fleet that I would have liked to have built. Now I'm either going to end up putting them back into storage or simply putting them in a box again for another couple of years due to the difficulty of using Lego to create the trains that I want. There are some truly talented people out there with impressive collections of parts. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. It's taken a lot of effort just to assemble the parts I needed for a better Hogwarts Express than the official set, and now that I've got a locomotive and tender I'm happy with, I find myself hunting for parts to finish the two carriages I'm trying to put together.

Who am I trying to kid? It's all about money. Lego don't see any profit in putting out detailed steam locomotives when the AFOL community's got people throwing together stunning models from their old parts buckets, and I don't have the money to assemble the parts I need right now.

So, ranting aside, I'd like to see an affordable way to purchase train parts in quantity, and some better parts from which to manufacture valve gear and track rods. If those come along, I'll be very happy. It'll result in me putting aside OO and N gauge model trains, and using Lego instead. There is something very satisfying about Lego, after all. I can't quite put it into words, but I suspect it's the indefinable reason that sites like this exist in the first place.

You revived an ancient thread with your post. I created a new topic for you instead.

Thanks. What topic was that? Was it "2012 Train 'Exclusive' - Rumours/Rumblings?"? I actually tried to start my first post there as a new topic, but it was moved into that topic.

I would like a New York style Metro train, built in grey with yellow doors that open. A set with 3 units that you can run over an elevated bit of track. That would be my wish!

It would be nice to see Lego doing packs of mixed train parts. Buffers, wheels, doors, windows, the bricks with the lines in them and the bricks with the handles on them. The curved roof pieces, the big driving wheels, the cowcatchers. A few of those in a bag with a bunch of regular bricks would be something I'd buy whenever I had a few pounds spare... and I could do so much to my existing Lego train collection with those parts. Picking up one or two on eBay or bricklink when they're available is frustrating. If I could get a bag of assorted train parts (in assorted colours. Red, yellow, black, blue, white, brown, green and grey in every single bag!) I'd do it as often as I could afford, as a way to build up the parts I need to create the locomotives and rolling stock that I want.

The 'exclusive' hobby train was in fact just that wasn't it?!!!

Fortunately we now have lugbulk with often decent train parts.

Looking forward to more trains for 2013. I have no idea what to expect from TLG, as far as trains go. It would be awesome to see a classic re-issue in bley for the Sante Fe.