Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gray

Kingdoms packaging change?

As you may or may not know, I buy a LOT of Kingdoms sets. By this point I have become very familiar with the box's dimensions and such. However, on my trip to the LEGOs tore today, I noticed something odd about the boxes of Kingdoms. The Prison Carriage Rescue set box is now just about the size of what the Knights Showdown box would have been. The Prison Tower Rescue was about 5 inches taller than it used to be. I bought 2x Prison Carriage rescue, bringing my total to 9. I'll take a picture with the former box in a bit.

My question is, why? Just to conserve materials? Is there a shortage of supplies in the LEGO company? I'd like to know, but I'm not complaining. Again, the pics will be up when I get a chance.

As you may or may not know, I buy a LOT of Kingdoms sets. By this point I have become very familiar with the box's dimensions and such. However, on my trip to the LEGOs tore today, I noticed something odd about the boxes of Kingdoms. The Prison Carriage Rescue set box is now just about the size of what the Knights Showdown box would have been. The Prison Tower Rescue was about 5 inches taller than it used to be. I bought 2x Prison Carriage rescue, bringing my total to 9. I'll take a picture with the former box in a bit.

My question is, why? Just to conserve materials? Is there a shortage of supplies in the LEGO company? I'd like to know, but I'm not complaining. Again, the pics will be up when I get a chance.

Similar changes have been seen in other themes such as Star Wars-- see this topic. A shortage of materials isn't realistic, since cardboard is something it's hard to have a shortage of. Rather, it's probably for financial reasons, such as to save on shipping costs, or to allow stores to stock more sets in the same shelf space. There's also an environmental angle, which makes the company look responsible. Not to mention that members on here routinely complain about boxes being oversized compared to their contents!

There's a lot of possible reasons for the change, and I see no need to worry about it.

It's a great move that Lego did this, the boxes were really oversized, and the only reason I can think of, was because you can't sell a 3x3 inch box for 15€ or more. Else there was no point in all the air in the box which was about 3/4 of the content. In my oppinion they should also remove the plastic bags inside, since that is really the biggest problem from an environmental angle, for which unfortunately I do care. And searching parts by costructing a model is also a part of the hobby. Maybe the big boxes (600 pieces +) could contain 2 bags - one for smaller and one for bigger pieces. But at the end of the day, who uses these bags for anything smart and does not throw them away right after opening a new purchased box ...

I remember that in a bunch of polls that Lego did, it seemed that one of the things that they asked, was if they should reduce prices and lower box sizes. I am actually glad to see that this is happening, but, where are the lower prices then?

The problem with not having the pieces in bags is that some maybe small enough to get lost through the spaces in the box flaps especially if the box gets damaged with a tear or hole during shipping plus having the pieces in bags protects them from being bent of deformed from being shaken in the box so unless lego can come up with a better solution i think the bags will stay .......... p.s. for little kids its helpful to have thepieces in sevaral bags to help with the sorting.