17 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

LEGO really likes to release an underwater theme every two years or so, and I'm totally fine with that. Especially their latest underwater series looks very well. LEGO Atlantis: a combination of vehicles and (hopefully) a drown city. A team of divers begins their search for Atlantis, but they better watch out for its guardians!

LEGO Atlantis has to be released in January 2010, but it's obvious that the sets are already available in many stores. I really like the color sheme of the LEGO Atlantis theme, and the idea is just great. The sets however, aren't that great in my opinion. I first thought they were going to be awesome, but after a closer look I noticed that not all of them are really good. For instance, some of them look very skinny (Typhoon Turbo Sub, I even thought the engines could be fold up) or are a bit too expensive (Guardian of the Deep, not impressive at all for its price). But the little sets look extremely nice, just like this one: 8057 Wreck Raider.

The set costs about 9,95 EUR with 62 pieces including two great minifigures. The boxart is really nice, although the Atlantis logo is really big. On the front the box also marks the new "collectable" rings which will work as keys, like in the Gateway of the Squid set. The back of the box shows the back of the vehicle and also the play functions: two flick fire harpoon shooters, which look actually nice, and the propellers which can be changed from direction. And now we also learn that there are 5 rings to collect.

img_4887.jpg

img_4889.jpg

Some of the new pieces, they are very interesting. The trident is made of a softer kind of plastic than normal LEGO bricks.

img_4899.jpg

img_4903.jpg

On to the best part of LEGO Atlantis: the minifigures. We get a tough diver and a fierce shark. I'm not sure whose the bad guy? Perhaps the diver who intrudes the home of the sea creatures, or is it the shark who defends his home?

img_4901.jpg

img_4904.jpg

img_4905.jpg

img_4906.jpg

When you take of the diving gear of the diver you'll see a clear look of his dubble printed head. He's a tough looking pirate, but when he encounters the shark he gets scared. Notice the beautiful printing on his torso, back, belt, legs and even his feet.

img_4907.jpg

img_4908.jpg

The other figure has a also a nice lookig print and a cool head. But, as not pictured on the box, on the top of his head there is a printed blue print. It doesn't look bad. The shark made me think of the shark head, included in 4762 Rescue from the Merpeople (LEGO Harry Potter). Of course there are differences, like the softness of the plastic and the amount of details, but they're both sharks. Viktor Krum's headpiece is made of normal LEGO plastic while the shark's head is made a softer kind.

img_4909.jpg

img_4910.jpg

img_4911.jpg

img_4912.jpg

Onto the main part of this set. The diving vehicle looks very nice. The colors match very well and the lime green bits are nice details. The design is very well, it's bulky and for once time the flick fire missiles are integrated well. And I'm not a sticker hater, most of the time I put them on the model. And in this set they really add to the detail of the nice vehicle.

img_4891.jpg

img_4892.jpg

img_4893.jpg

img_4894.jpg

img_4895.jpg

The completed set is just awesome. I actually don't see any flaws of this set, but if I have to think of something: perhaps a harpoon for the diver and a little piece of rock with seaweed would make it complete. Compared to some other sets I think the price is matches the set. The color sheme and design of the 8057 Wreck Raider is just perfect. And the minifigures make it really good. In my opinion, this is a must get for the fans of LEGO action themes.

I hope you've enjoyed my review of 8057 Wreck Raider! :wink:

And here's a little extra: a keychain! In Belgium we get them for free with some of the Atlantis sets in the Fun, a toystore. (on a sidenote: in January we'll get Star Wars keychains, in March keychains of Toy Story)Together with the 8057 we get a diver, with the Guardian of the Deep a manta warroir and with the Typhoon Turbo Sub a shark. But like I've said, I'm not so fond of these sets so I'll probably won't get them.

atlantis_diver.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

As always good review Matn :thumbup: I very like this set and all Atlantis(and i'm gonna buy them),but is the plastic from shark's head is like some pieces from Ben 10?

Yeah, the new shark head is definitely better than the old one, it's just a shame it has that huge blue tattoo. Really limits what you can do with it.

Like you, I'm not that excited about Atlantis either, but I could easily see myself getting this set if it's ten Euro. You get a fig from each faction, a Ring, some red curved bits I don't have very many of, and one of those big grey engine things I think are neat. Nice review; you may have convinced me to get a set from this line after all!

Incidently, you seem to have one of the red propeller casings on backwards. Can't tell which one, though :classic:

Great review Matn, I'm definitely going to get this set, maybe even two of 'em! I agree with you about the smaller sets being the best, although the Neptune Carrier looks good. BTW, you have the left propeller casing on backwards. (Judging from the box.)

Great review, thank you 'Matn'. :thumbup::laugh:

Cool looking diver and shark creature ! :grin:

The raider it's self - excellent - apart from the impulse sets this might be the only set from the series I'll get - just because of those three things ! :sweet:

Here's the largest Atlantis set I am going to buy; that should tell you how much I like this theme so far.

Set is "above average", to me.

And thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review Matn!

I thought that this was going to be an overpriced set because of the piece count, but after reading this, it looks like a great deal! The shark minifig is perfect (I love the printing :wub:) and the underwater pirate diver has a useful head print.

The sticker on this set look very good! I like the vents with bubbles coming out. :thumbup:

The flick-fire harpoons also make the set look much better, along with those new black turbine/propeller pieces.

Hopefully I'll have enough leftover from my budget to get this set - the shark minifig is too good to pass up (If there was a manta warrior minifig instead, I wouldn't get this)!

@Manta Man: I'm not sure if it's the same plastic. But if the Ben 10 pieces are softer then I guess it's the same plastic, yes.

Thanks for the comments. I have indeed put the propeller on wrong, thanks for saying, I hadn't noticed it. :blush:

It's indeed a shame of the blue tattoo if you were going to use it for something else instead. Myself, I was thinking of swapping the piece for Viktor Krum's head but it wouldn't look so well with the tattoo.

along with those new black turbine/propeller pieces.

They're actually rather old-ish pieces, even in black.

Again, awesome set that I really want.

Thanks for the review. This and the impulse underwater scooter are probably my favorite Atlantis sets. Love the design of the vehicle plus the minifig head. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great review Matn, I'll be sure to get this set since as far as I know it is the cheapest to get the shark. I adore that shark fig, the comparison with the Harry Potter one really shows it's advantages. The actual vehicle is quite neat and I can never have enough of those sweet grapple hooks. The diver fig also has a useful face too, thanks for posting.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Excellent review, great pictures!! This set looks like a very fun little set. If I were to get any Atlantis sets, this might make the cut.

Awesome review! That shark man is to die for, so this is definitely on my wish list. :thumbup:

Looks under £10 too, an even bigger bonus! :cry_happy: