Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

Ainesford 'Red Elm' Market Place

Hi all,

As this is my biggest project yet, I thought I'd display it here in hope for some feedback! I have a new found respect now for those of you who build big - it wasn't as easy as it looked. I'm going to happly go back to smaller builds for a little while now!

This is a build for a local challenge over on Lands of Roawia and will also be part of a group entry for the Summer Joust on flickr. A team of four builders from our faction will be presenting builds in the city of Ainesford for the Summer Joust. Our intent was to display typical scenes from the city whilst at the same time staying consistent to the style and stories presented by other builders who have depicted Ainesford in the past. In the descriptions I've linked in some of those previous builds.

Additional photos and some WIP shots are available on flickr in this album.

So anyway with further ado, may I present to you the 'Red Elm' Market place in Ainesford, Lenfald!

27173624174_452050166a_c.jpg

Ainesford is a major Lenfel city situated on the fork of the Aines and Marnie rivers and the border with Loreos. A major trading hub, the main road south into Loreos passes through Ainesford and the city is also a major stop for riverine traffic passing between Durrough and the capital Stonewald. As such the city is famous for its economic prosperity and flourishing markets. In times of peace, goods constantly flow up and down the river and across the border. The city is also known for its multicultural make up which is reflected in both its people and architecture. Here is a section of the 'Red Elm' Markets, one of the major market places in Ainesford named for the old red elm tree growing nearby. To the left of the scene is a government building in typical Ainesford style where the Grand Duke of Ainesford, Lord Sorley Meyrick is emerging to meet with the Grand Duke of Durrough, Lord Cartney. To the right is a popular tavern famous for serving their own special brew of fine apple cider that Lenfald is famous for.

27173462114_3df9308182_z.jpg

Here a jester can be seen entertaining the crowds in the marketplace while shoppers inspect goods at a blacksmith stall, bakery stall and glassware stall in the background.

27173535284_f74140108f_z.jpg

In this scene some Ghajjar tribesmen from Loreos inspect the goods at a fishmongers stall. In times of peace many Loreesi cross the border to trade in Ainesford, including nomadic tribesmen such as the Ghajjar. Behind them two Lenfels rangers inspect the work of a master bower and fletcher at his stall in the marketplace. Archery is considered a national skill and people of all classes and both sexes commonly train with a bow from an early age.

27785315455_ef9c39f486_z.jpg

Some Pikemen of the Ainesford militia. After the crushing defeat of Lenfel forces at the Battle of Ainesford a few years ago during the War of Loreesi Aggression, the new Grand Duke has focused on training pikemen. Pikemen are ideal to counter the heavy Loreesi cavalry that dominated the field that day. These pikemen are led by a Lenfel Knight, a somewhat unusual sight as the majority of Lenfel cavalry are usually lighter armed and mounted and are primarily used for scouting and mounted infantry rather than as shock cavalry.

Great job! That wall texturing is top notch. The effect of a crowded, vibrant market place is really well represented here. :thumbup:

Any chance of you joining GoH? This build would be a perfect fit. :wink:

Great job! That wall texturing is top notch. The effect of a crowded, vibrant market place is really well represented here. :thumbup:

Any chance of you joining GoH? This build would be a perfect fit. :wink:

Thanks BrickCurve! The wall texturing is based on Aardwolf's build here.

As for GoH, I probably have enough Lego 'commitments' as it is right now! Not sure I could fit in another although I have been tempted!

On a completely unrelated note, I had the pleasure to see some of your stuff IRL at BrickExpo Canberra last year - fantastic!!!

Damn!! it's gonna be tough to beat that...

I don't know about that! Personally I feel it has some major flaws, but I ran out of time to do anything about them. It's for the guild creations entry and I think I may be the team's weakest link!

Amazing, love the bussy bustling feel to it.

Thanks Isundir! Any chance you'll return to LoR?? I've missed your outlaw stories!

Now that is a very good crowded scene indeed! :thumbup:

Thanks Captain Braunsfeld, I wanted to try and cram as much activity as possible in without it feeling like 100s of mini-figures slapped on a baseplate. Not sure if I've achieved the right balance - the whole thing feels a bit flat to me, so glad you liked it!

Thanks Isundir! Any chance you'll return to LoR?? I've missed your outlaw stories!

Sadly no, I didn't want to build within the Outlaws anymore and switching factions was not allowed so I've joined Guilds of Historica instead.

This is very nice, the pikes are nicely done and the wall texturing is spot on. Its got an excellent market feel lots of goods and hustle and bustle. I really like the colourful bunting.

Lovely build with lots of nice details. The pike design is a good idea.

Gods, this is awesome! Defenitely my favoured from you to date, you even made me consider joining LoR (tough I'm not going to, not enough building time for another RPG).

I :wub: all the details, but if I had to pick one, it'd be the figs! They are so amazing! :thumbup:

This is very nice, the pikes are nicely done and the wall texturing is spot on. Its got an excellent market feel lots of goods and hustle and bustle. I really like the colourful bunting.

Thank you cablefoxley!

Lovely build with lots of nice details. The pike design is a good idea.

Thanks Frumpy! The pike design is copied from this build

Gods, this is awesome! Defenitely my favoured from you to date, you even made me consider joining LoR (tough I'm not going to, not enough building time for another RPG).

I :wub: all the details, but if I had to pick one, it'd be the figs! They are so amazing! :thumbup:

Thanks Titus! I admit to spending a bit of time on some of the figs. There are a few members sigfigs from LoR hidden in the build along with the rest. Probably the most minifigures I ever used in one MOC!

What an epic color usage all over the moc.... The transitions from one part of the moc to other is great. The numerous minifigs blend all this together perfectly. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Your buildings are great too....

Great creation! I like the colours and the "Life" in it!! :sweet:

Loved the market and the little stories you created there also..!! :wub: