Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

Ekimu - Toa of Creation - MOD 71312

So Bionicle is, for the second time, going away to the Obsolete and Retired Products Graveyard, to be laid alongside Hero Factory, Ben 10, and Galidor, among others. It's very sad it was cancelled so early it it's re-birth, barely halfway through it's second year.

28043609353_4f5e3f3dc3_z.jpg

To celebrate it's second life through Ekimu and the island of Okoto, I have created this MOD of set 71312. (My alternate motive was because all that trans-light blue doesn't strike my fancy) It features a golden hammer with darker accents, and golden armor with an companion shield. It is also missing the main part: the mask of Creation! Sadly, the mask is not in LDD, so I left it off. Here is it at Bricklink: http://www.bricklink...age?P=20477#T=C

28043609123_6b957530ab_z.jpg

The back of Ekimu features a part of Tahu's golden armor from the final series of original Bionicle from 2010.

28043609423_97ef12c01c_z.jpg

The hammer is mostly taken from set 71312, while the shield is from both set 70795 and 71312.

28043609553_21482900a6_n.jpg

The missing mask is found once more!

(It's actually already in my possession, so I only need to order 99.9% of the model to complete it.)

LDD file: http://www.moc-pages...1469920961m.lxf

...and yes, this MOD is 100% build-able in real life. I checked.

It's pretty clear from this build you've never worked with CCBS or any constraction at all. The build is completely separated from the actual design of Ekimu the Mask Maker set, not just in colour as you intended it to be, but build complexity has been essentially completely removed from this build, everything that made the set interesting and worthwhile has been completely removed, and somehow his leg poseability is completely removed in a revamp moc. This looks as though you've never looked at payed any attention to the builds used in BIONICLE G2 sets or any CCBS sets in general.

And of course this is build-able in real life, this build uses one of the most barebones CCBS builds that exists.

That's a very interesting take on Ekimu! I certainly like some of the ideas used here, such as using the Golden Armor from the Stars as a bit of back coverage; might have to swipe that for my own custom. I would just recommend two things- the armor shell used on the power arm could impede poseability in the position you used, and try and find a way to utilize the open balljoints on the other arm and the shoulders.

Introducing the golden armor from the Stars set was pretty creative and blends well with the CCBS style.

I'd recommend looking at the gearbox designs from 71312 and modifying them to fit into your MOC. Sadly LDD doesn't yet have the new gearbox so it might require some experiments in physical brick to best incorporate it.

I definitely understand the trans-blue on Ekimu is a bit overwhelming. The gold suits him well, although I love the look of the Mask of Creation in both Gold or trans-blue! It's just such a beautiful mask.

It's pretty clear from this build you've never worked with CCBS or any constraction at all. The build is completely separated from the actual design of Ekimu the Mask Maker set, not just in colour as you intended it to be, but build complexity has been essentially completely removed from this build, everything that made the set interesting and worthwhile has been completely removed, and somehow his leg poseability is completely removed in a revamp moc. This looks as though you've never looked at payed any attention to the builds used in BIONICLE G2 sets or any CCBS sets in general.

And of course this is build-able in real life, this build uses one of the most barebones CCBS builds that exists.

Jesus Christ the moc is far from being groundbreaking but you're definitely not helping this guy to understand where he can improve. A list of things he did wrong is a lot less useful than a list of things he can do better, and a lot easier to write too.

I'm no master builder OP, but your MOC is okay. Pretty basic but gets the job done. Try to consider it as a starting point and ask yourself "is there a different yet elegant way to do something that already exists? ". The 2016 sets are stellar if you want to learn new fantastic techniques, a lot more inspiring than the 2015 sets.

This was my first real bio-set MODs since I got the Bulk 3.0 guy in 2011... I really am not a Bionicle builder, but I do try;

21350922984_6e281723ce_n.jpg

This was finished late last year.

Sorry I bothered you, but i can only do so much with LDD.

That's a very interesting take on Ekimu! I certainly like some of the ideas used here, such as using the Golden Armor from the Stars as a bit of back coverage; might have to swipe that for my own custom. I would just recommend two things- the armor shell used on the power arm could impede poseability in the position you used, and try and find a way to utilize the open balljoints on the other arm and the shoulders.

I was hoping someone would like the back armor!

Introducing the golden armor from the Stars set was pretty creative and blends well with the CCBS style.

I'd recommend looking at the gearbox designs from 71312 and modifying them to fit into your MOC. Sadly LDD doesn't yet have the new gearbox so it might require some experiments in physical brick to best incorporate it.

I definitely understand the trans-blue on Ekimu is a bit overwhelming. The gold suits him well, although I love the look of the Mask of Creation in both Gold or trans-blue! It's just such a beautiful mask.

Thank you. that was my plan, but this moc has been shelved until a later date.... it definitely needs work.

Jesus Christ the moc is far from being groundbreaking but you're definitely not helping this guy to understand where he can improve. A list of things he did wrong is a lot less useful than a list of things he can do better, and a lot easier to write too.

I'm no master builder OP, but your MOC is okay. Pretty basic but gets the job done. Try to consider it as a starting point and ask yourself "is there a different yet elegant way to do something that already exists? ". The 2016 sets are stellar if you want to learn new fantastic techniques, a lot more inspiring than the 2015 sets.

Thanks!

In the future I would watch your tone before you make a post. If you don't like a MOC, don't post unless you have some constructive criticism to add.