Review: 2145 Stormer 3.0

22 members have voted

1. 1. Preston Power?

• 5. Excellent!
    • 4. Good
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

NOTE: This review is written by our guest reviewer, Preston Stormer.

Set Index: Stormer 3.0

indexed.gif

DSC08171es.jpg

The clarion call was made, and I responded, as I always do. But new situations call for new bodies, so as good as Stormer 2.0 is, I needed to change.

DSC08175es.jpg

"Alas, poor Stormer 3.0! I knew him, Horatio.".... sorry, just practicing my lines.

DSC08306es.jpg

I can combine with Rocka 3.0 and become somewhat more powerful. Sometimes I need that extra 1%.

DSC08299es.jpg

This is the raw components that make up my new body. The next 20 pages detail how much power I have, but I won't bore you with the details.

DSC08182es.jpg

Laid out, the core components look simple, but that is just because you don't know what I know. Only the best goes into the Stormer parts bin.

DSC08186es.jpg

I must confess, I expected a bird, an eagle for example. But a rhino was picked instead. In hindsight it makes sense; I am rather strong.

DSC08188es.jpg

My mask is especially special. It not only resembles a rhino horn, it also looks like a knights helmet to symbolise the honour, bravery and modesty that I have.

DSC08191es.jpg

I like the second horn.

DSC08192es.jpg

It connects to my head in the standard fashion, but in this case it is extra strong.

DSC08194es.jpg

This part was specially made for my new weapon, but I have allowed the second rate samples to be used by others. I'm sharing like that. This part is especially useful as it's another of the HF-to-clip parts.

DSC08198es.jpg

This part looks passable inside as well. The ridges may just be there for strength, but they look good in any case.

DSC08301es.jpg

Here is the same part being used to form my weapon. I don't really need weapons, but I use them anyway so the other heroes don't feel too inferior.

DSC08205es.jpg

Unlike last time, I am the same height as the other heroes. It comes down to it that I don't need that kind of advantage. I could be half the size and I'd still be the most powerful hero.

DSC08208es.jpg

Ready for transfer! I like the bulk of the left shoulder.

DSC08211es.jpg

Transfer in three... two...

DSC08343es.jpg

Von: No! Two Prestons! Why is the world so cruel?!

DSC08345es.jpg

Stormer: Rhino power!

Ratings

Posability:

Perfect. 10/10

Parts:

Nothing but net in all cases. 10/10

Looks:

Like a fine red wine I just get better with age. 10/10

Fudge:

A+++ 10/10

Overall:

The only thing that comes close to this set is Stormer 2.0 10/10

....errr.... OK.

The REAL Ratings

Posability:

Very considering many previous lines of this size. His weapon is more posable this time as well 9/10

Parts:

If you don't have the sets from the last wave then this is a great buy (and add 4 to this score!), otherwise this set is a good buy only for the mask and the name panel. For the other new parts you'd be better off buying a bigger set. 5/10

Looks:

All jokes aside, I do like the helmet. It's more usable than the other ones as it's animal origins are less clear. 9/10

Fudge:

What's Hero Factory without Preston? 7/10

Overall:

It's much the same as Stormer 2.0, isn't it? A few different colours, a different mask and different weapon, but other than that, much the same. More and more I do question the logic in this whole "Six Good Guys" concept. This line is very good when compared to nothing, but when you compare them to others in the line and the 2.0 wave I think it's too similar. Perhaps right now TLG are trying to restrict the number of new moulds and that's why these are so similar, but I hope the next batch will have more variety, such as a 100% unique weapon for each Hero. (Note: Ignoring the 2.0 line these get a 8 from me...) 6/10

The new white cladding sizes are welcome, but largely this set doesn't interest me.

I love the part where Von Nebula showed up. :P

Other parts that are unique to this set besides the name badge and helmet are the blue spines on his claw and 3M white shells, both new in those colors. This guy's pretty cool, but dang does he look short in the picture of him and Stormer 2.0 standing side-by-side.

Anyway, great (and humorous!) review. This guy's not at the top of my list for the 3.0 heroes, but he's definitely up there. One change I would have made would be coloring the claw piece and torso shell the same color since it looks weird with the Titanium Metallic being used as accents on the weapon but as the core color of Stormer's torso. Thanks for the review!

I'm getting him for those awsome blue spikes!

Edited by toatyger

Stormer 3.0 looks great, but since I bought recently a second 2.0 (for only 5€), he's rather low on my wanted-list.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the review is really enjoyable, sorry that I didn't mentioned that earlier. XD

Edited by ZORK64

Nice review! Now do the same with Aldous. (Doc):tongue:

Even tough he has not much new parts, I'll be getting him because I must complete my Stormer collection. :tongue:

Edited by TheRedGuy

This guy's pretty cool, but dang does he look short in the picture of him and Stormer 2.0 standing side-by-side.

Yeah, I'm surprised they cut him down to size. I'm hoping that at least some of the Heroes are shorter or taller...

Nice review! Now do the same with Aldous. (Doc):tongue:

Even tough he has not much new parts, I'll be getting him because I must complete my Stormer collection. :tongue:

With that line I think you've just made an enemy of Von... :laugh:

...but sadly that's all I have. Brickthing has some more though.

Nice review, entertaining for a barely passable set. 3.0 looks worse than 2.0. More like a downgrade than an upgrade. He is smaller and looks puny. eh, all my opinion though which isn't much considering I don't like HF at all. More of a Bionicle fan. :tongue:

I just realized while browsing the online LEGO Pick-A-Brick that there are two styles of Exo-Force robot arms. The first is the classic 2006 one: Design ID 58342. The second is a newer one is Design ID 98313, and is slightly different in the upper arm portion-- the older one has thinner supports at the front and back "edges" of the upper arm, whereas the newer one has thicker ones. The newer one's Design ID and Element ID suggest that it is brand-new to this year, even though the Titanium Metallic ones on Pick-A-Brick have the old Design ID rather than the new one.

Any word on which version is used by Stormer? I encourage you to search either Design ID on Pick-A-Brick if you want to compare images.

Nice review!

But you kind of changed Stormer's personality, he more self-less and doesn't boast like in the review, but you made him repeat

saying how much power I have thing. :sceptic:

But other than that I really like Stormer 3.0's new weapon, it is much bulkier than last time, Stormer 2.0's weapon was small, boring, and skinny. :hmpf_bad:

But TLG has made a much better weapon for him, a LOT better than the last one in my option! :sweet:

Nice review!

But you kind of changed Stormer's personality, he more self-less and doesn't boast like in the review, but you made him repeat

saying how much power I have thing. :sceptic:

To me LEGO is what you make it. :wink:

To me LEGO is what you make it. :wink:

Tru dat! Anyway, it was surprisingly accurate, since some official things actually have shown Stormer to have a bit of an ego problem. I think his personality isn't totally set-in-stone, and so how he acts kind of depends whether he's supposed to sound dramatic (the Hero Factory TV episodes and comics) or humorous (many Hero Factory FM podcasts).

That's one thing I like about the Hero Factory story. Unlike BIONICLE which had a set-in-stone chronology (at least in the later story years), Hero Factory is an assortment of mostly unconnected adventures, meaning that it's much easier to imagine your own adventures taking place in between! There's a lot more room for imagination than BIONICLE had in that regard. And this allows humorous stories and serious dramatic adventures to coexist.

Edited by Aanchir