• 5. Excellent!
    • 4. Good
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

Set Index: Nex 3.0

indexed.gif

DSC08116es.jpg

Grrr! Nex is back and this time he bites!

DSC08118es.jpg

The combiner crosses a tiger with a panther (Stringer 3.0). Scary!

DSC08303es.jpg

These sets never look too impressive on the virtual parts list, and this is no exception. What doesn't help is that the legs and arms are just 4x the same thing.

DSC08121es.jpg

The real parts spread looks better, especially the new pieces.

DSC08124es.JPG

The Sabre Toothed Tiger mask is nice. It looks catish while still looking mechanical.

DSC08126es.jpg

It connects in the standard way.

DSC08127es.jpg

I like how the new name panels are on a transparent part. This one in particular heavily resembles the mask.

DSC08130es.jpg

These parts aren't new, but I do like the metal "colour".

DSC08131es.jpg

This part however is new. I especially like how this line uses the clip joints; this aids using HF parts with System and vice versa.

DSC08132es.jpg

Due to the mould being inverted on the other side these look OK on both sides.

DSC08134es.jpg

Time to build! Heres the 4x that I mentioned earlier...

DSC08304es.jpg

...and this is how it looks at mid point. I think he needs some "Weight Gain 4000".

DSC08136es.jpg

Finished! I'm going to pass on the back shots this time...

DSC08338es.jpg

Nex 3.0 has two hands, which I always prefer and is a big visual change from Nex 2.0, but at the core this is a very similar set.

DSC08347es.jpg

I do much prefer his weapons; especially the absence of that shield. You can see here how good looking that new piece is from both sides.

DSC08341es.jpg

Night all!

Ratings

Posability:

Very considering many previous lines of this size. His weapon is more posable this time as well 9/10

Parts:

If you don't have the sets from the last wave then this is a great buy (and add 4 to this score!), otherwise this set is a good buy only for the mask and the name panel. For the other new parts you'd be better off buying a bigger set. 5/10

Looks:

I do like this colour combination, and it works well with the mask. The claw is very with the whole tiger thing too. 8/10

Fudge:

Déjà vu? 4/10

Overall:

It's much the same as Nex 2.0, isn't it? A few different colours, a different mask and different weapon, but other than that, much the same. More and more I do question the logic in this whole "Six Good Guys" concept. This line is very good when compared to nothing, but when you compare them to others in the line and the 2.0 wave I think it's too similar. Even the Rahkshi line had a wider part selection. Perhaps right now TLG are trying to restrict the number of new moulds and that's why these are so similar, but I hope the next batch will have more variety, such as a 100% unique weapon for each Hero. (Note: Ignoring the 2.0 line this gets an 8 from me...) 6/10

Compared to Nex 2.0, I actually think this set looks a bit "meh". I think it might be that the secondary color changed from white to silver. As shiny and non-pearly as it is, it looks rather dull.

This guy is OK. His color scheme kind of bothered me the same way it seems to have bothered Bfahome, but then again it looks straight-up awesome here, so it's hard to judge.

Your low score for the parts is probably well-deserved-- I had hoped for at least one new type of shell in Bright Orange, rather than just having 3M ones like the last version-- but there are three new parts you can't get in other sets. Specifically, I don't think any other sets have that paw piece in silver, so that should be noted as a unique piece in addition to the name badge and helmet. Of course, unlike the name badge and helmet, which are specific to this character, the paw piece is more likely to appear in future sets in this color.

I must say I like this guy's name badge, which is pretty significant since I don't really like the 3.0 name badges in general. They just seem more artsy and less machine-tooled, whereas the last wave's name badges managed to stay unique while still having a futuristic, swooshy design. The ribbon is what mainly bothers me about the 3.0 name badges in general, feeling like it belongs on an old-school propoganda poster rather than a robot hero. And some of the animal designs, like on Bulk 3.0, seem too sketchy rather than attractively stylized like Nex's tiger print.

Great review overall. I'm not sure if I'll be getting Nex 3.0, but if I have the same lousy self-control I had with the last wave I may end up getting him eventually. I can pretty much tell, though, that he'll be the last hero I get, just as Nex 2.0 was the last my brother and I got in the last wave. This is not just because he has underwhelming contents but also because, as before, orange and green are some of the least compatible colors with the System parts I tend to have up at college.

I'm tempted to buy this set and piant black stripes on the armor to make it look more tiger like. I also like nex better than rocka just because he isn't peering out of his helmets mouth!

Edited by toatyger

Specifically, I don't think any other sets have that paw piece in silver, so that should be noted as a unique piece in addition to the name badge and helmet. Of course, unlike the name badge and helmet, which are specific to this character, the paw piece is more likely to appear in future sets in this color.

Yeah, that's why I didn't highlight it... but I did take some close ups though.

i also like nex better than rocka just because he isn't peering out of his helmets mouth!

Yeah, I'm not sure if I like that or not. That's one of the big problems with the masks; they aren't all the same style.

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda like this set. Will pick it up if I have the spare cash.

Glad to hear it! While I was a bit harsh or the set I did try to be objective as possible, and I wasn't trying to force my opinions on anyone. I do think they are good sets... I just think they aren't as radical a change as last time.

Glad to hear it! While I was a bit harsh or the set I did try to be objective as possible, and I wasn't trying to force my opinions on anyone. I do think they are good sets... I just think they aren't as radical a change as last time.

Yeah, seems like it's a love-it-or-hate-it for this guy. As mentioned in DeeVee's review, I also really like how his trans-green badge matches his hero core and head.

I was expecting that as they got upgraded they would actually get upgraded! :hmpf_bad:

They look pretty much the same, not much bulkier, in my opinion 2.0 was better than 3.0

So what would have made them look new, in your opinion? A new torso every wave? Entirely new armor pieces each wave? Frankly, these were some of the things I disliked about BIONICLE, and I was glad to see that this wave is moving in a different direction, re-using older parts in different arrangements to create unique character designs.

Making the sets bulkier every wave would necessitate making them more expensive every wave. That should be obvious to anyone. Instead, TLG is being more conservative with its designs, keeping the size of the canister sets about the same between the last wave and this one. And yet the 3.0 canister sets still have unique designs distinct from their 2.0 counterparts. That's more than satisfactory in my book.

So what would have made them look new, in your opinion?

I realise you aren't asking me, but what I would have liked was one more bit of variety. For example the head, the feet or the chest. (My preference would be the chest.) If they did that it'd make a lot of difference to me, and it would have gave them the ability differentiate the Heroes further.

I realise you aren't asking me, but what I would have liked was one more bit of variety. For example the head, the feet or the chest. (My preference would be the chest.) If they did that it'd make a lot of difference to me, and it would have gave them the ability differentiate the Heroes further.

I kind of like the head being consistent. Although I wouldn't have minded a new head piece for the villains, as opposed to the shell pieces they all use. While it works OK for some of them, they haven't been able to use it effectively for all the villains, and it doesn't make me too optimistic for future villains.

What i really want is a piece or two disigned to go on their backs.

...and this is how it looks at mid point. I think he needs some "Weight Gain 4000".

BEEFCAKE!

definitely getting this one. hope my tru starts stocking them this week

I was going to get Nex 2.0 but seeing that 3.0 has two orange hands I will probably skip and wait for 3.0 to arrive in a perhaps 4 months. Neither 2.0 or 3.0 excite me that much beyond the orange HF parts, to be honest. I like orange.

I was going to get Nex 2.0 but seeing that 3.0 has two orange hands I will probably skip and wait for 3.0 to arrive in a perhaps 4 months. Neither 2.0 or 3.0 excite me that much beyond the orange HF parts, to be honest. I like orange.

One of my dislikes about this set is that there aren't enough new orange armour pieces. The two orange hands are nice, but Nex 2.0 came with 5 size 3 orange shells, whereas Nex 3.0 comes with only 3, and consequently orange shells still only come in a single size as compared to all other colours (aside from Gold that was introduced with this wave).

While I'm not much interested into Nex' helmet or colours (for some odd reason... altough when I think about it, orange looks great with blue...), I like his design. Especially that the paw-weapon is attached on his forearm and not deleting a regular hand. Getting only one hand with in the shield weapon sets of the 2.0 line was really bugging me, and it's also bugging me in that wave.

So it's really cool to see a set with both two hands and the weapon body piece.

So what would have made them look new, in your opinion? A new torso every wave? Entirely new armor pieces each wave? Frankly, these were some of the things I disliked about BIONICLE, and I was glad to see that this wave is moving in a different direction, re-using older parts in different arrangements to create unique character designs.

Making the sets bulkier every wave would necessitate making them more expensive every wave. That should be obvious to anyone. Instead, TLG is being more conservative with its designs, keeping the size of the canister sets about the same between the last wave and this one. And yet the 3.0 canister sets still have unique designs distinct from their 2.0 counterparts. That's more than satisfactory in my book.

Reply: I agree 100% with you, I wouldn't want to have to pay even more each wave for the 'little' guys. :sceptic:

I also am very surprised how creative TLG has been with the differen't armor usage, especially with mostly using the same parts as the last wave. I will be getting Nex 3.0 next, along with Fangz' and two other heros.

Edited by Target Head

Nex 3.0 is one of the best Heroes of this wave. The set is armored very well and has a good color scheme, and the way it has two hands instead of one and a weapon is an appreciated touch.

The only reason I don't really want to purchase this guy is because I already have Nex 2.0. I would rather buy a character that I don't own yet that has different color parts.

Thank you for the review, Siegfried.

Nex 3.0 is one of the best Heroes of this wave. The set is armored very well and has a good color scheme, and the way it has two hands instead of one and a weapon is an appreciated touch.

The only reason I don't really want to purchase this guy is because I already have Nex 2.0. I would rather buy a character that I don't own yet that has different color parts.

Thank you for the review, Siegfried.

Agreed! Contrary to you, though, I don't have Nex 2.0. I'm very tempted to get this guy now.