SkaForHire

Warzone 12: Battle for the Great Loop

Warzone 12: Battle for the Great Loop

Who Can Participate: Desert King, Ulandus, (HC if they can clear a path before the due date or join with Ulandus)

16410994264_e9c6546b3f_c.jpgSEKaliphlin by skaforhire, on Flickr

Terrain / History: The great loop in the Qar-Akhen River is considered the second most fertile area in Kaliphlin besides the Great Delta. It produces nearly a quarter of all food for western Kaliphlin. It was for this reason that First Centurion had his advance troops secure the region. Sometimes referred to as the “lesser breadbasket,” The great Loop is predominated by marshlands, the majority of which were man-made through centuries of irrigation projects. Most of these marshlands have raised boardwalks with small defensive fortifications along them. In some parts of the loop it is possible to travel by small boat or canoe to different faming collectives that are scattered along the territory. The main crops of the region is wheat, barley, and rice. There are very few buildings beyond small huts that the farmers live in. There is almost no livestock in the region, as almost all water and land goes towards crop production. The inner loop, or the territory surrounded by the river has always been a prized possession for the rulers of Kaliphlin. 745 years ago, King Kalick Al’Rudi built a great city to protect the Loop’s interior breadbasket. The City, Dagra-Ba is still important today, but has fallen on hard times. Its defensive structure is still intact, but very few businesses still exist in the city. For the most part, the inhabitants of the city are either employed by the town as guards, employed by one of the merchant companies as teamsters, porters, dockworkers, or boats crew, or they are farmers who work outside of the city. There are large grain warehouses within the city, but the war and drought elsewhere has taxed the supply to the limit. At this point, all food to feed Dagra-ba actually comes directly from the loop, while the excess is shipped downriver to support the Ulandian war effort. The city wall extends across the neck of the loop, rather than around the city. This is to keep out raiders. The river itself has a few small forts and the city employs a tiny navy of a few medium sized galleys to patrol the river. The outer loop, the area that is not surrounded by the river is also a fertile land, but it is a bit more diversified with livestock and crops. The region is often the target for raids by invading armies, because it has very little protection as there is no major settlement on the west bank of the river.

Mini-challenge: Take the Inner Loop. Because of the lack of solid ground, it is hard to move a large army through the inner loop. The Ulandians have the front gates of Dagra-Ba sealed tight, but the weak-point here is the loop itself, clever DK (and perhaps HC troops as well before the deadline is done) have built small reed boats that quickly brought them from the Outer Loop to the Inner loop, without the galleys being able to catch them. These small pockets of troops are looking to take strategic locations within the Inner Loop in order to claim the territory and force Dagra-ba to surrender. DK builders should build MOCs that depict their troops taking strategic locations within the inner loop. For example some strategic locations may include: a small farming village, a boardwalk fortification, a docking and loading center (most food is brought via canal / waterwall to Dagra-ba where it is put on bigger boats and shipped downriver), or maybe a small warehouse in the marchlands. Use your imagination, but please see the description above for what the Loop is like. For example, don’t depict a desert! Defenders (Ulandus and maybe High Council as well) should depict MOCs of successful defensive efforts against the invaders. Remember, just fighting your enemy on a boardwalk might not be enough to gain favor of the voters, think about what types of structures your men and women can be defending in the marshlands.

Restrictions: 16x32, with limited overhang.

Due Date: May 3rd

SPECIAL: If DK wins, they win zone I11 and I12 as well. Square K12 becomes a warzone (and DK will pick another warzone as well)

SPECIAL: If the High Council does not make a run at this zone by taking a territory close enough to attack H12 before the deadline, they can negotiate with Ulandus to join the defense. (These negotiations can include incentives...) Dagra-Ba also supplies High Council cities in the region, most notably Ras-El-Akhen. (Historically, in the real world and in Historica, it was very common for armies to be fed by enemy farmers looking to make money during wartime) A temporary truce in the region can lead to a two front attack on the Desert King invaders. If the Ulandians and HC come to terms by APRIL 19th, they can work together to attack the DK in this square. In this scenario, if Ulandus and HC win, HC gains G12 and Ulandus keeps H12.

Edited by SkaForHire

Now, this might sounds a bit an odd question, but H12 was the grid I actually selected for my guerilla action a few days ago... so what happens to it now then?

Now, this might sounds a bit an odd question, but H12 was the grid I actually selected for my guerilla action a few days ago... so what happens to it now then?

In the past the precedent has been that you get to call a new zone for your attack.

(The last time this happened was the same situation, a DK player called a zone when they won zone 1, and a DK player had an Guerrilla Attack in that zone, the GA attacker moved his attack and we opened a new Warzone.)

Which zone would you like to move your attack to?

Awesome wz! You are creating awesome challenges Ska! Regardless how the war will end, nobody will have seen more of Kaliphlin than the players who participated.

Agree completely with Jacob here. Great job, Ska!!

A question to the truce: Am I to suppose some sort of ooc (between the teams) and IC ( I.e. Build(s)) agreement must be made? :)

A question to the truce: Am I to suppose some sort of ooc (between the teams) and IC ( I.e. Build(s)) agreement must be made? :)

That is what I was hoping, but yes, you could just have an OOC agreement -- but it would be cool to see a negotiations MOC to seal the deal. If we didn't have so many WZs and GAs, maybe we could make it a requirement, but I didn't want to place yet more pressure on the builders.

Awesome wz! You are creating awesome challenges Ska! Regardless how the war will end, nobody will have seen more of Kaliphlin than the players who participated.

Hopefully they are not too sick of it... haha.

@ska how many war zones are normally in each challenge?

This is the first time we have done this. It is usually just three contests that all end at the end of the challenge. I think we will be around 20 WZs when finished, unless we go another month like people keep asking me about. I am not sure I am ready to commit July to the war also though. I guess we will wait and see.

Edited by SkaForHire

In the past the precedent has been that you get to call a new zone for your attack.

(The last time this happened was the same situation, a DK player called a zone when they won zone 1, and a DK player had an Guerrilla Attack in that zone, the GA attacker moved his attack and we opened a new Warzone.)

Which zone would you like to move your attack to?

Let me get out of this hot melting pot of battles then, and toss it to K19 then, that is like at the edge of the world and currently warzone free hehe :wink::thumbup:

This is another great challenge Ska! Really love the variety of terrain and of sizes you are throwing in!

WZ11 actually had some crazy choose your own adventure specials... but I decided we were not ready for that... haha.

Let me get out of this hot melting pot of battles then, and toss it to K19 then, that is like at the edge of the world and currently warzone free hehe :wink::thumbup:

I will change your topic title :)

Negotiations have commenced with myself and Garmadon representing Ulandus and Little John and Adair representing the High Council. We'll let you know when finalized!

Due date has changed, to better fit the rest of the story. Also, since Warzone 15 will only be HC and DK, this gives Ulandus something to build each week, rather than having two due on April 26th.

Ulandus has come to terms with the honorable High Council. All their members are welcome to participate in this Zone. :sweet: