Sign in to follow this  
Meiko

LEGO Digital Designer won't import LDraw file

As the title says, I'm having trouble importing an LDraw file into LDD. The file is of a Weeping Angel from Doctor Who in three poses, all different files. None of them want to import though. The Weeping Angel model is originally decompiled from a Garry's Mod model from the Steam Workshop, and converted using MilkShape 3D, and then imported to LSculpt, and then exported to LDraw. I'm not sure why it won't import, as it could be from various causes. I'm not sure if it's because of how big the LDraw model is, the piece count of the model, or that there is some incompatibility.

I did some Google searches, and everything that came up seemed to be an old tutorial for extremely outdated LDD versions.

In case anyone would like to test it, all the files are in a compressed archive linked below:

The odd thing about the LDD import problem is that after you select the model, it will load something, which you can see from the memory usage and that the program is unresponsive, but after a little bit you can hear the tone you get when you open a new file. That leads me to believe the problem is with an incompatibility, likely with some collision from an LSculpt glitch. I can't imagine that would prevent every brick from loading (and they are all 1x1 plates), but that's all I can figure (unless LDD importing from LDraw is broken completely or something). If the problem is due to sheer size/piece count, I can cut it back in LSculpt.

Also, if anyone knows of other 3D to LEGO programs, please let me know. I'm only using LSculpt since it's what I found in a search, but I'm open to use anything better if available.

Just taking a quick look, I'm going to guess it's a number-of-pieces issue (54000+ in the one I looked at). LDD gets pretty flaky when you try to work with files that have that many pieces.

What's your hoped-for end goal?

Just taking a quick look, I'm going to guess it's a number-of-pieces issue (54000+ in the one I looked at). LDD gets pretty flaky when you try to work with files that have that many pieces.

What's your hoped-for end goal?

Well, a way to work with it, since LSculpt does studs on all sides, yet I don't want that really. I'd like a more structurally stable sculpture, mostly with studs on top, with SNOT when necessary/convenient. Also I'd like to convert it to not be 100% 1x1 plates. Aside from that, I'd like instructions to build it in real life, and LPub won't do it right.

Did you try with an update of the LDraw.xml file?

Just tried that, same outcome. LDD sits "Not Responding" for about 60 seconds, plays the little tone as if it were loading a model, and nothing else. Just an empty screen. I might try cutting the model back in size just to test if LDD will import anything...

EDIT: Just noticed something strange. After attempting to import and then trying to close LDD triggers the "Do you want to save your progress" window to appear, which leads me to believe LDD has done something, but just not displaying anything.

Edited by Meiko

Well, a way to work with it, since LSculpt does studs on all sides, yet I don't want that really. I'd like a more structurally stable sculpture, mostly with studs on top, with SNOT when necessary/convenient. Also I'd like to convert it to not be 100% 1x1 plates. Aside from that, I'd like instructions to build it in real life, and LPub won't do it right.

Lsculpt has a studs-up flag that you can set, so you may want to play with that. It also has a flag to just generate the very outer shell, which would give you a manageable number of pieces to work with.

LDD is still functional for me when I work with this file, but just barely. The heads are both hollow, and it's still got 32000 pieces.

studscomparison512.png

Ultimately, there aren't any software packages that will do all of the work for you. You'll either have to do the work yourself, or commission someone else to do it. Lsculpt can give you the outline, but then it's up to you to figure out how to actually build it. And if you want actual building instructions, MLcad will be a better choice for creating steps, etc.

I also noticed that the Ldraw sculpture I looked at would be about 30 inches/76cm high. Is that actually the size you'd like in real life?

Lsculpt has a studs-up flag that you can set, so you may want to play with that. It also has a flag to just generate the very outer shell, which would give you a manageable number of pieces to work with.

LDD is still functional for me when I work with this file, but just barely. The heads are both hollow, and it's still got 32000 pieces.

Ultimately, there aren't any software packages that will do all of the work for you. You'll either have to do the work yourself, or commission someone else to do it. Lsculpt can give you the outline, but then it's up to you to figure out how to actually build it. And if you want actual building instructions, MLcad will be a better choice for creating steps, etc.

I also noticed that the Ldraw sculpture I looked at would be about 30 inches/76cm high. Is that actually the size you'd like in real life?

Goodness, how did I not see the studs-up checkbox. :wacko:

I'm pretty new to MLCad and all, but if it has a way to generate instructions, I should be good in that aspect. I'll Google around some more.

And yes, I would like a it a decent size, and 2.5 feet tall (30 in.) showed better detail in LSculpt. I might cut it back to 2 feet, and hollow it out and see what I can work with.

Anyways, thank you for the help! :classic:

EDIT: One last question. Is there a way to change 3 plates to a brick automatically in MLCad?

EDIT 2: Odd, LDD won't import anything. I can cut the file down to 10 inches and it won't import anything. And this is with the Ldraw.xml file I downloaded last night.

Edited by Meiko

MLcad can do an auto-insert of step commands, so if you go with a studs-up approach, it could do a little bit of the work. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to automatically consolidate plates into bricks. That may be where generating the empty shell, and then filling it in yourself might be the way to go.

For the LDD import, you'll need to first open the Lsculpt .dat file in MLcad, and change the color of all of the parts from "Main_Color" to something else. LDD doesn't know what Main Color is, so it won't import it. Also, don't forget to rename from .dat to .ldr.

I did the shell of the Attack pose, and ended up with this.

MLcad can do an auto-insert of step commands, so if you go with a studs-up approach, it could do a little bit of the work. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to automatically consolidate plates into bricks. That may be where generating the empty shell, and then filling it in yourself might be the way to go.

For the LDD import, you'll need to first open the Lsculpt .dat file in MLcad, and change the color of all of the parts from "Main_Color" to something else. LDD doesn't know what Main Color is, so it won't import it. Also, don't forget to rename from .dat to .ldr.

I did the shell of the Attack pose, and ended up with this.

Oh, alright. That shouldn't be too hard, thanks for letting me know!