Derek

Black Friday 2008

With Black Friday nearly a month away, I am very excited about getting some great LEGO deals. I know Target usually does one large set for about 50% off, past examples include Millenium Falcon, Vladek's Fortress, City Airport. This year I think it will be King's Casle Siege or the SW MTT, both sets I really would like. If you find any ads or anything else, please post them here, so everyone can take advantage of them. :sweet:

Use this thread for speculation, news, and general discussion... :sweet:

darthperson

Edited by darthperson

Black Friday? What is this Black Friday? :sceptic:

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving here in the US. It marks the official first day of Christmas shopping. :sing:

They call it black Friday because that's when all the companies usually go "back in the black" or back to making a profit off what they are selling.

With our economy going *thbbbthbbb* right now it's not looking to be such a great one for companies, though...

Will do... with the world economic condition, it's hard to say whether we'll have stores slashing prices or will offer less products. I guess we just have to keep our eyes and ears open from now on in...

Everything I have read is pointing to stores slashing prices even more than normal this holiday season in an attempt to woo shoppers to return in droves to try to make this year a profitable one (at least here in the states). Expect some amazing deals in the black friday ads.

I usually pass on Black Friday due to its recent popularity, but I'll take a gander on what sales will be going on for LEGO.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving here in the US. It marks the official first day of Christmas shopping. :sing:

They call it black Friday because that's when all the companies usually go "back in the black" or back to making a profit off what they are selling.

With our economy going *thbbbthbbb* right now it's not looking to be such a great one for companies, though...

Well aren't you guys lucky then :thumbup:

thanks

I have never ventured out on Black Friday. Saving a few bucks is not worth dealing with all the crowds.

I have never ventured out on Black Friday. Saving a few bucks is not worth dealing with all the crowds.

I went to the stores once on a vacation/ roadtrip through the US when it was the second Thanksgiving day, but as said there were such large crowds we got back in the car and left. In a smaller village down the road be could buy a large box of Swiss Chocolate for a discounted price...was kinda fun, but we don't celebrate it in Belgium (duh...)

Well aren't you guys lucky then :thumbup:

thanks

Yeah - the dollar is strong right now, housing is stable, and jobs plentiful.

*wakes from a dream...*

I have never really gone out on Black Friday, cause there really are some folks who get a little too pushy for me, but I think the OP may be on to something. Wal-Mart is especially famous for these sales...

Well, we don't have such a thing here in Ireland, but the Christmas shopping season seems to start earlier each year, before Halloween even (although 8th Dec is the traditional first shopping day - "Farmer's Day Out"). This year the signs of desperation are evident with how early retailers are even trying to sell decorations etc.

There are January sales though, and last year some retailers started them before shopping stopped for Christmas holidays. I'm hoping Smyth's Toys do so again, they had some decent sale prices on Lego City last year (picked up Harbour for €62.50 rather than €89.99).

Edited by brickzone

I never had a Thanksgiving , I don't even know what it's supposed to be ^^

but "christmas shopping" where I lived before ( Marseille ) , starts in the beginning of November, not before, here in Geneva, I don't really know, I m here for less than a year ^^

Huh, I never realized the black friday before, although i do remember seeing Vladek's castele before for like $50 Can't wait to take advantage of this =]

This year I think it will be King's Casle Siege or the SW MTT, both sets I really would like.

Oh please let it be the MTT!! :cry_happy: I was waiting forever for that one to go on sale so that I can build up my droid army! And with the new clone BP coming out in about three months, I will especially need it since all the clones I'll be getting will need some droids to fight! :devil:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I doubt it will be the Dwarve's mine. :cry_sad: They are usually a year or two old, and are above $80 regularly. Also, watch to see if Target stocks up on a particular set within the coming weeks, they usually stock up on the set that will be on sale...

I hope their are great deals on City and Bionicle. Mainly the coast guard theme and Phantoka. :thumbup:

Is it just me or do I remember someone getting a 2009 (2008 back then) set on Black Friday last year? :look:

When was the Dwarves Mine Exclusive out @ Target? I seem to remember that set being out around the end of the year last year...

Yes, the Dwarves' Mine was a Target exclusive last year before it was widely released this year.

I personally hope that the King's Castle Siege will go on sale, as I've always liked it but not enough to spend $100 on it.

My Target doesn't even have the MTT anymore.

Well I have one Castle seige, but for $50, with all those great peices, I could superify my current castle or make a new structure, it would be something fun to expirement, although unfortunately, being a TFOL who can't drive alone yet :( My mom sort of dictates what I buy, although I think I can talk her into it! I mean with the Castles beutiful peices, the way I could expand would be endless, not to mention the figs :)

I had some free time this afternoon, so I thought of checking Target stores in my area. What a surprise! Star Wars set 6211 - Imperial Star Destroyer, is back on the shelf. And what a comeback! I mean, on one Target store, there were half a dozen on the shelf and another 2-3 dozens piled neatly in three rows on top of the shelves. Another Target store I went to, has at least 20 of the same set. Only the 3rd Target store didn't have any.

First off - I thought this set was sold out and discontinued, so how come it's back on the shelves? Secondly, retail price is $99.99... If I am not mistaken, this is the same technique used by Target when they had the Millennium Falcon on sale 3-4 Black Fridays ago (sold for $49.98 / half price).

What do you guys think? Can Set 6211 be this year's Black Friday Lego item? Comments please...

:cry_happy: YES!! I was so mad when I missed out on this set the first time it came out, and now its back =] I would love this set to be the center piece of black friday this year, and for $50, what a catch! Thanks a lot AFOL SF! I was just at target on sunday, didn't see anything, of course they didn't even have the RFT available yet. So if this is true it would be sweet :classic:

I think its pretty likely, seeing as how it would relate to the falcon in that way, so hopefully we have a winner folks

Edited by Matteo Kenobi

I had some free time this afternoon, so I thought of checking Target stores in my area. What a surprise! Star Wars set 6211 - Imperial Star Destroyer, is back on the shelf. And what a comeback! I mean, on one Target store, there were half a dozen on the shelf and another 2-3 dozens piled neatly in three rows on top of the shelves. Another Target store I went to, has at least 20 of the same set. Only the 3rd Target store didn't have any.

First off - I thought this set was sold out and discontinued, so how come it's back on the shelves? Secondly, retail price is $99.99... If I am not mistaken, this is the same technique used by Target when they had the Millennium Falcon on sale 3-4 Black Fridays ago (sold for $49.98 / half price).

What do you guys think? Can Set 6211 be this year's Black Friday Lego item? Comments please...

Last time I checked there were no more ISD's at my Target, but I've not been there in a few days.

This would be good news though! :thumbup: