Jump to content


Dutch VOC ship the Prins Willim, minifig scale!


  • Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic  – Started by Commander Red Hat , Jun 19 2008 11:30 AM

#51 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!


    Posts: 5757
    Joined: 17-September 08
    Member: 3951
    Country: Belgium

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Sep 25 2008, 09:09 AM, said:

I believe there is a tutorial for this somewhere. Not on EB or C-P, but I think a web search might be useful.

I found one, stupid from me I didnt think of that before, MR. Zuloo...
http://www.classic-c...9696f968e1b8132

Thanks AGAIN for helping me out that fast!

#52 Voodoo Hand

Voodoo Hand

    Posts: 218
    Joined: 06-September 07
    Member: 1948
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

View PostCaptain green hair, on Jun 19 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

Measuring a stunning 68 meters length overall she was the largest ship ever build by the VOC.

Euhm... 1 problem... the Batavia is a little longer making the Prins Willem not the longest :p
Wiki (sorry, in Dutch)

View PostHairy Ruben, on Jun 19 2008, 02:48 PM, said:

NO!

First the European Championship, now this. Why is it we live next to one another? :pir-tongue:  Ah the pain, the pain of it all (and the horrible flashy orange) - make it stop, go away! :pir-grin:

Nice ship you have there, the curve is especially wel done.

Euhm... you know that the Dutch had the best navy in that time I hope. The only reason why the Dutch were not more powerfull is the land problem, not enough land not enough peopel living in it. That was the only setback of the Dutch Golden Age. If the Netherlands were as big as the UK or France, there would really be a different outcome for pretty much all battles. Since the Dutch are a powerfull tribe on the waters and master a lot of aspects even way better then any other nation you could say it is even possible to be unbeatable.

View PostMister Phes, on Jun 20 2008, 01:49 AM, said:

Oh the Dutch!  They come up silly names like Tasmania, Van Diemen's Land, etc.  Who would  want to live in a place named by the Dutch...  Really...   :pir-grin:

New York -> Nieuw Amsterdam (renamed in 1665)
Noten Eylant -> Governors Island
Breede weg -> Broadway
Breuckelen -> Brooklyn
Konynen Eylant -> Coney Island
Vlissingen -> Flushing (Queen)
Krom Messie -> Gramercy
Haarlem -> Harlem
Hellegat -> Hell Gate
Heemstede -> Hempstead
Kinderhoek -> Kinderhook
New Utrecht -> New Utrecht Avenue
Oester Baai -> Oyster Bay
Staaten Eylant -> Staten Island
Wal straat - Wall street (amed after the Walloons and then later after the wall that was erected to protect the city against the threat of an English invasion in 1654 during the first Anglo-Dutch war)

Some nice links to visit:
Nieuw Nederland (America)

Even better.. and I just read it:

Wikipedia said:

In addition, many New York citizens are directly descended from the Dutch citizens of New Netherland. For instance, the Roosevelt family, which produced two Presidents, are descended from Claes van Roosevelt, who emigrated from Haarlem in about 1650. The Van Buren family of President Martin Van Buren also originated in New Netherland.

This is just a quick thingy, there are a lot more cities that are still here today wearing a new name but were orriginally Dutch colonies and had a Dutch name.
The Dutch have left their mark for life ^_^

And for the final touch, god created the Dutch!
"If Germany starts bombing, The Brittish run.
If the Brittish start to bomb, the germans run.
If the Americans start to bomb.... Everyone runs!"
~Winston Churchill~

Posted Image
Belgica Foederata
My Brickshelf
My MOC Pages

#53 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!


    Posts: 3547
    Joined: 14-July 06
    Member: 851
    Country: Canada

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

View PostVoodoo Hand, on Sep 25 2008, 09:19 PM, said:

Euhm... 1 problem... the Batavia is a little longer making the Prins Willem not the longest :p
Wiki (sorry, in Dutch)

I'm sorry but you most have read that wrong:

Quote

Wiki:
Lengte over alles: 56,60 m

:wink:

#54 Voodoo Hand

Voodoo Hand

    Posts: 218
    Joined: 06-September 07
    Member: 1948
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

View PostMr Tiber, on Sep 25 2008, 09:32 PM, said:

I'm sorry but you most have read that wrong:



:wink:


lol, oops. yeah you're right. sorry for that, might be because i'm tired and have a lot of problems on my mind at the moment :pir-skull:
"If Germany starts bombing, The Brittish run.
If the Brittish start to bomb, the germans run.
If the Americans start to bomb.... Everyone runs!"
~Winston Churchill~

Posted Image
Belgica Foederata
My Brickshelf
My MOC Pages

#55 CPT. Jr

CPT. Jr

    Posts: 138
    Joined: 28-September 08
    Member: 4027
    Country: USA

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

View PostMr Tiber, on Jun 19 2008, 06:27 AM, said:

HUzzah!!!! Dutch Pride on!!!

Posted Image

At long last it's here! Finally the Dutch will be represented by a big ship (and considering the builder it's  gonna be one mighty fine ship!!)
The beginning looks very very good. That curve looks particularly professional!

I really can't wait to see that beauty on an event. :wub:

I will check this thread for updates everyday!


Hoera!


I'm also glad to see dutch pride, no one realizes that they once invaded england and did a good job of it too.  It is such an excellent representation of it thus far, bally good show!
"he who would pun, would pick a pocket"

"in the navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevles"

#56 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat


    Posts: 4501
    Joined: 27-September 08
    Member: 4015
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

I truely love it! Even when it isn't finished yet :pir_laugh2:
I live in the Netherlands myself and I'm really fond of the VOC, the ship you choose to model is awesome too!
It's cool you visit even museums for inspiration :pir-sweet:
I can't wait when it is finished!
Really, a great job already!

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!




Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials


Avalonia Trading Company


#57 Fluyt

Fluyt

    Posts: 561
    Joined: 06-April 08
    Member: 2980

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

At least something good comes out of the bad weather last week, you won't be able to ride your motorcycle, so you're forced to work on this beautifull ship  :pir-laugh: .

View PostVoodoo Hand, on Sep 25 2008, 09:19 PM, said:

New York -> Nieuw Amsterdam (renamed in 1665)
Noten Eylant -> Governors Island
Breede weg -> Broadway
Breuckelen -> Brooklyn
Konynen Eylant -> Coney Island
Vlissingen -> Flushing (Queen)
Krom Messie -> Gramercy
Haarlem -> Harlem
Hellegat -> Hell Gate
Heemstede -> Hempstead
Kinderhoek -> Kinderhook
New Utrecht -> New Utrecht Avenue
Oester Baai -> Oyster Bay
Staaten Eylant -> Staten Island
Wal straat - Wall street (amed after the Walloons and then later after the wall that was erected to protect the city against the threat of an English invasion in 1654 during the first Anglo-Dutch war)

Staten Landt -> Nova Zeelandia (after Zeeland, a Dutch province) -> New Zealand
Some of the many Dutch named of towns/cities and places in South-Africa: Bloemfontein, Johannesburg, Windhoek, Hoedspruit, Klerksdorp, Pietermaritzburg, Mossel Baai (Mossel Bay). (not 100% sure on some of these)
Zuid-Afrikaansche Republijk -> South African Republic (+the South-African language (Afrikaans), was based on Dutch)

And there's probably a fair amount more (I think there was also an Asian country that was named by the Dutch (Japan?) but I'm not sure)

View PostVoodoo Hand, on Sep 25 2008, 09:19 PM, said:

Euhm... you know that the Dutch had the best navy in that time I hope. The only reason why the Dutch were not more powerfull is the land problem, not enough land not enough peopel living in it. That was the only setback of the Dutch Golden Age. If the Netherlands were as big as the UK or France, there would really be a different outcome for pretty much all battles. Since the Dutch are a powerfull tribe on the waters and master a lot of aspects even way better then any other nation you could say it is even possible to be unbeatable.

Ahh, what could have been...  :pir-wub:
We did pretty well for such a small country.

Edited by Fluyt, 02 October 2008 - 08:32 PM.


#58 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!


    Posts: 5446
    Joined: 26-August 07
    Member: 1914
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

View PostFluyt, on Oct 2 2008, 09:23 PM, said:

At least something good comes out of the bad weather last week, you won't be able to ride your motorcycle, so you're forced to work on this beautifull ship :pir-laugh: .
\

I managed to do both, but now i need to clean my bike again... :pir-blush:

But i can tell you version 53 of the stern is almost as it should be... :pir-wink:
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#59 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!


    Posts: 5446
    Joined: 26-August 07
    Member: 1914
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

Ok progress has been slow, but let me get you up to speed:

Posted Image
As you can see the hull is done, it's still a bit shoddy because the skeleton inside isn't finished yet.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Me and Indy did a little size comparisation, you can imagine how uncomfortable i felt :pir-hmpf_bad:

Posted Image
A shot from the bow.

Posted Image
And one from the stern....

And now for today's final surprise:
Posted Image
The figurehead, wich i myself am exceptionally pleased with. :pir-blush:
Also a big thanks to Matija for sponsoring me the dark red tiles!

Well that's all folks, loads more can be found in the BS, when moderated ofcourse.
C&C are very wanted and welcome!
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#60 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo
  • god for 10


    Posts: 4330
    Joined: 19-July 07
    Member: 1816
    Country: Australia

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Well, CGH! I had no idea you were such a talented MOCer. I glanced over this thread earlier, but I didn't actually look at it properly. You could well be one of the LEGOLAND modelers. Just one thing though:
Is that figure head a bit small? When you compare it to the rest of the ship and then to other ships that have figure heads almost dominating the bow. I just find it a little small. But the ship is huge. How far do you think you'll get before Christmas?

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au


#61 Guss

Guss
  • One armed pirate


    Posts: 2649
    Joined: 05-September 08
    Member: 3895
    Country: Switzerland

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

nicceeeee ! I love the figurehead, it's really superb !
Posted Image

#62 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!


    Posts: 5757
    Joined: 17-September 08
    Member: 3951
    Country: Belgium

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

View PostGuss, on Oct 19 2008, 02:54 PM, said:

nicceeeee ! I love the figurehead, it's really superb !
Yes, you really have outdone yourself this time  :thumbup:

Quote

Me and Indy did a little size comparisation, you can imagine how uncomfortable i felt
I thought you were in that kind of stuff?  :pir_laugh2:

#63 Lasse D

Lasse D
  • Pink Poodle


    Posts: 933
    Joined: 24-December 06
    Member: 1144
    Country: Denmark

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

... and I finally got to see the final figurehead. The head is much better than the prototypes I came up with!

And it is nice to see the whole hull. The transitions, as you have discussed earlier, are obscured by the whole flow of the sides, so I think you made the right decision by going for strength.

Keep it up Cap.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#64 Richie

Richie

    Posts: 655
    Joined: 15-July 08
    Member: 3527
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Great job!

It's multifunctionomical.

Posted Image

Flickr


#65 oDDerFisken

oDDerFisken

    Posts: 291
    Joined: 21-October 06
    Member: 1042
    Country: Denmark

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

Nice progress. Have you gt any idea when this will be finished? It's seems to me, that there's still a long way to go.
But so far it's very nice! You figurehead is indeed good. You can be proud of youself, there's absolutely reason to be pleased with you're work so far.

#66 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14416
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

The ship looks mighty big and I love the shape of the hull.

But this little piece of art is a true masterpiece  :pir-wub:

View PostCaptain green hair, on Oct 19 2008, 12:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#67 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!


    Posts: 3547
    Joined: 14-July 06
    Member: 851
    Country: Canada

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

That's huge Cap'n. And that figurehead is just awesome. :pir-wub:

How many tiles do you reckon went into it?

#68 Ras 74

Ras 74
  • Prince of PM´s


    Posts: 3683
    Joined: 27-November 04
    Member: 114
    Country: Sweden

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

I first heared of this moc back in Billund.
You where talking lots about it, and I really didn´t understand how you wanted to build with those "jumperbricks".
How to get them together and make it hold together.
It can be ´cause you where drunk a few times telling me  :pir-tongue:

But now seen how far you got (I´ve been looking in but not responded before) and how it is coming along is really great.

You wan´t critics?
The only one I got for you is already mentioned.
Why the yellowed bricks buddy?
CM once told me I´m in top of the foodchain on this matter.
I was just wondering, ´cause it doesn´t seems to be that many that it would be a money issue.
Really would like an answer to this.

Otherwise there is not much more to add then what you alredy got.
Will really continue to follow your work, and it is really looking great. Really beautiful  :pir-wub:


-Ras-
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#69 Wouwie

Wouwie
  • Thank you for proven services to Classic-Pirates.com.


    Posts: 1082
    Joined: 16-August 07
    Member: 1890
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

I really love that figurehead! It looks just like the real one! And I can know it :tongue:
The real truth:
Posted Image

#70 Phred

Phred
  • Kinda back


    Posts: 3137
    Joined: 18-October 06
    Member: 1037
    Country: USA

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Great progress on this wonderful ship Cap'n :thumbup:
Very Impressive!

Looking forward for further progress. :pir-classic:

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image


#71 SirNadroj

SirNadroj
  • Rock Hard ABS


    Posts: 3049
    Joined: 02-October 06
    Member: 998
    Country: U.S.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

My God, that hull is gorgeous.

I've been meaning to ask you; how do you create the hull? Just special grid paper? I know some people use computer software to render the model.

#72 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!


    Posts: 5446
    Joined: 26-August 07
    Member: 1914
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Oct 19 2008, 01:42 PM, said:

Well, CGH! I had no idea you were such a talented MOCer. I glanced over this thread earlier, but I didn't actually look at it properly. You could well be one of the LEGOLAND modelers. Just one thing though:
Is that figure head a bit small? When you compare it to the rest of the ship and then to other ships that have figure heads almost dominating the bow. I just find it a little small. But the ship is huge. How far do you think you'll get before Christmas?

Thanks captain!
The figurehead is in an exact 1:39 scale just like everything else :pir-wink:

View Postzorro3999, on Oct 19 2008, 02:21 PM, said:

Yes, you really have outdone yourself this time :thumbup:


I thought you were in that kind of stuff? :pir_laugh2:

No...but Indy is i'm afraid....

View PostLasse D, on Oct 19 2008, 08:14 PM, said:

... and I finally got to see the final figurehead. The head is much better than the prototypes I came up with!

And it is nice to see the whole hull. The transitions, as you have discussed earlier, are obscured by the whole flow of the sides, so I think you made the right decision by going for strength.

Keep it up Cap.

I think so too, thanks for thinking with me on it. :pir-wink:

View PostoDDerFisken, on Oct 19 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Nice progress. Have you gt any idea when this will be finished? It's seems to me, that there's still a long way to go.
But so far it's very nice! You figurehead is indeed good. You can be proud of youself, there's absolutely reason to be pleased with you're work so far.

Thanks!
The plan is to show her at LW Zwolle, somewhere about a year from now.
But i'm not in a hurry, don't want to make this a rush job.

View PostMr Tiber, on Oct 20 2008, 06:14 PM, said:

That's huge Cap'n. And that figurehead is just awesome. :pir-wub:

How many tiles do you reckon went into it?

Thanks buddy!
About 1.200 white ones to this point, also 2.000 jumperbricks and approx. 3.500 plates.
I roughly estimate 50.000 bricks will go in when finished.

View PostRas, on Oct 21 2008, 07:52 PM, said:

I first heared of this moc back in Billund.
You where talking lots about it, and I really didn´t understand how you wanted to build with those "jumperbricks".
How to get them together and make it hold together.
It can be ´cause you where drunk a few times telling me :pir-tongue:

But now seen how far you got (I´ve been looking in but not responded before) and how it is coming along is really great.

You wan´t critics?
The only one I got for you is already mentioned.
Why the yellowed bricks buddy?
CM once told me I´m in top of the foodchain on this matter.
I was just wondering, ´cause it doesn´t seems to be that many that it would be a money issue.
Really would like an answer to this.

Otherwise there is not much more to add then what you alredy got.
Will really continue to follow your work, and it is really looking great. Really beautiful :pir-wub:
-Ras-

Thanks buddy!
I just use what i have, ships hulls are never clean, so i don't really bother.
The worst have been left out though, i found some in my box...man...

View PostSirNadroj, on Oct 21 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

My God, that hull is gorgeous.

I've been meaning to ask you; how do you create the hull? Just special grid paper? I know some people use computer software to render the model.

Thanks!

I just measure the largest dimension, and a few points along the side. The rest goes by eye, just like the original Dutch ships were build. Software might be handy next time, i've rebuild the aft section about 50 times... :pir-hmpf_bad:

But the nice thing is that this really is a test for my patience, wich is improving, thankfully.
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#73 Teddy

Teddy
  • Soft Spot


    Posts: 1078
    Joined: 02-June 07
    Member: 1646
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

View PostCaptain green hair, on Oct 21 2008, 09:22 PM, said:

Thanks!

I just measure the largest dimension, and a few points along the side. The rest goes by eye, just like the original Dutch ships were build. Software might be handy next time, i've rebuild the aft section about 50 times... :pir-hmpf_bad:

But the nice thing is that this really is a test for my patience, wich is improving, thankfully.


Dear Captain green hair,

as I said to you before the hull is starting to look really good! and the two plate step is obscured by the other lines.
So thumbs up from me.  :thumbup:
Yeah the aft section.. 50 times, that is a good score... :thumbup: . I redid mine again as well two weeks ago.
Havent posted an updated picture yet. Maybe I should :pir-classic:
Kind regards,

Teddy

#74 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!


    Posts: 5757
    Joined: 17-September 08
    Member: 3951
    Country: Belgium

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

Any updates yet, dear Captain GreenHair?

#75 Phred

Phred
  • Kinda back


    Posts: 3137
    Joined: 18-October 06
    Member: 1037
    Country: USA

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

View Postzorro3999, on Dec 12 2008, 04:19 AM, said:

Any updates yet, dear Captain GreenHair?
Yeah, no kidding!
I can't have a ship of this size being complete before mine. :pir-tongue:
I must be sure that mine is going to be done before yours.  :pir-laugh:

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links