MOC: Old European train station.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Modulex Guy

Modulex Guy

• Ain't nobody takin' my wooden fire truck

Member: 6517

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

Posted Image

I've been asked a few times at shows, "I like your town, but where is the train station??"

So... I built one!

Built like old European buildings like in Germany, a train station:

Posted Image

Young couple waiting for the train:
Posted Image

The platform:
Posted Image

The station building:
Posted Image

The front of the station:
Posted Image

Bike racks:
Posted Image

The ticket office:
Posted Image

The bay window:
Posted Image

The second floor is empty right now until I finish building the offices.

Comments Welcome!
NILTC
Hi, My name is Chris... and I'm addicted to Modulex.
Posted Image
O_o
I Buy Modulex!
My Flickr page.

#2 Badsneaker

Badsneaker

Member: 3096

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:44 AM

LOVE the bike racks!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:58 AM

View PostBadsneaker, on Jul 29 2009, 08:44 PM, said:

LOVE the bike racks!

Seconded!  The bike racks are great!  I also really like the bow window.  Bonus points for the old style 1x2x2 red windows.   :thumbup: :thumbup:  The overall design is great and it certainly captures that old 'Euro' feel.  The simulated 'Tudor' style is also really wonderful.  Great work!

-Dave
ToT-LUG
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

============================================================

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

============================================================

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#4 Rick

Rick

• The barometer of our times

Member: 5261

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

Even the bikes in the racks are German (colors of the flag). It looks great overall. The only comment I have is that the diagonal line look kind of "blocky" compared to the overall smooth look of the station. You might try out some of the diagonal Tudor techniques that others - primarily in castle building - have used.

Edited by Rick, 30 July 2009 - 11:23 AM.

#5 Whittleberry

Whittleberry

Member: 4267

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

What a beautiful station! There's only two things that I'd improve. Firstly, as Rick said, the Fachwerk style diagonal lines on the building are distracting because of their blockiness. Here is an example of how people use slopes and tiles for fachwerk houses.
The other thing is, maybe you could give the station a name, and have the sign say "Bahnhof" rather than "Station", since the design is based on German architecture.
Posted Image      Posted ImagePosted Image     Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 BlueBard

BlueBard

Member: 2796

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

Wonderful job!  :thumbup: Love the main classic atmosphere of your MOC and all the great details like your famous tree with the birdhouse and the bike racks  :wink:

#7 missouri_bb63

missouri_bb63

Member: 6866

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

Really stunning.  :thumbup:  I recognized the old German "Fachwerk" style before I even got around to reading your description. The details are really nice. It would go well with my old BR50.  :wink: I am looking forward to seeing more of your work soon!

Edited by missouri_bb63, 03 August 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#8 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

I don't have much to add, you've got a great building here, and as others mentioned, your bike racks are inspired.  Unlike some of the others, I like the blocky diagonals. I realize it isn't "correct" but I like it anyway.   ALso, the nice wide platform leaves alot of room for minifig action and scene setting.  Well done.
Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

#9 Modulex Guy

Modulex Guy

• Ain't nobody takin' my wooden fire truck

Member: 6517

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

View PostRick, on Jul 30 2009, 01:15 AM, said:

Even the bikes in the racks are German (colors of the flag). It looks great overall. The only comment I have is that the diagonal line look kind of "blocky" compared to the overall smooth look of the station. You might try out some of the diagonal Tudor techniques that others - primarily in castle building - have used.

Yes, I know they are a bit blocky, I was thinking of using a headlight brick and a 1x6 tile to get the right effect.

View PostWhittleberry, on Jul 30 2009, 04:02 AM, said:

What a beautiful station! There's only two things that I'd improve. Firstly, as Rick said, the Fachwerk style diagonal lines on the building are distracting because of their blockiness. Here is an example of how people use slopes and tiles for fachwerk houses.
The other thing is, maybe you could give the station a name, and have the sign say "Bahnhof" rather than "Station", since the design is based on German architecture.

About that sign, I originally was not going to have that and am going to make my own better sign, it is just this one, I found in a bin of mixed LEGO I bought at the same time I was building the station.
I was like: "oh look, it says 'station' i'll just plop this in front of the station I'm making"  :laugh:

I'm re-doing the bike rack because I think I can make it more realistic, and will re-do the diagonals to make them more... not blocky.
NILTC
Hi, My name is Chris... and I'm addicted to Modulex.
Posted Image
O_o
I Buy Modulex!
My Flickr page.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users