Sign in to follow this  
Darth Yogi

Review: Jango, Arealight

gallery_101_23_281.gif

This was inspired by KielDaMan, but will not be nearly as good because of his electronic expertise.

So I recently bought the Arealight mando helm and jet pack and added them to jango.

Here is a comparison shot

aren_2.png

Here are some pictures of the Arealight items which are made out of quality plastic.

The helmet

dsc01246.jpg

The jetpack, sorry about the second blurry picture.

aren_3.png

The jet pack is extremely detailed and is hollow on the inside.

dsc01251.jpg

The jetpack sticks out a little to much in my opinion, but the flame attachment makes up for it.

So now you decide which you like better. How do you make a poll?

I chose Arealight. It was a tough decision, but the flames and more accurate helmet shape, which is movable did it for me.

And maybe just the fact that it is new.

Edited by KimT

Thanks for sharing this darth yogi! I intentionally didn't get the Mando helmet because I know there will be someone else who'll be able to review them. It's nice to see this metal silver-colored helmet in the Jango minifig. The shape is much more accuate to the real thing (like the new Lego Mando molds), but the usual drawback is obviously the lack of print in the helmet.

How do you make a poll?

I chose Arealight. It was a tough decision, but the flames and more accurate helmet shape, which is movable did it for me.

Unfortunately I think only Knights and up can create polls for their topics, unless you ask a mod to make it for you. :classic:

Unfortunately I think only Knights and up can create polls for their topics, unless you ask a mod to make it for you. :classic:

Thank you,

Well in that case would a mod pleas :cry_happy: make a poll for me with Lego versus Arealight.

Thank you.

This was inspired by KielDaMan, but will not be nearly as good because of his electronic expertise.

BTW, I laughed hard when I read this. Electronic expertise? What am I, a robot? (Joke!) :tongue:

But seriously, it's really tiring and time-consuming to set-up those photo layouting stuff. (It took me 8 hours just to do those editing/photoshopping :sceptic:). But if you or anyone else need tips to improve their presentation, I'd be more than willing to share my "electronic expertise". :grin:

BTW, I laughed hard when I read this. Electronic expertise? What am I, a robot? (Joke!) :tongue:

If you mean a robot that posts awesome MOCs on a constant basis, then yes, you are a robot.

arealight has some nice customs. But i have to say Lego is my choice. thanks for the review. p.s whens the utapau coming? :laugh:

It will be here soon :wink:

I have to go with the LEGO one on this one. The Arealight set has the detachable helmet and flame connection, but the LEGO just looks more... LEGO-ish. The Arealight one also doesn't look quite right in all-silver, and looks too CW-ish to me.

KDM- How does it take you 8 hours to crop and join those pics? :laugh: I remove background, insert white, sharpen, remove noise, adjust brightness and contrast, adjust color, and insert my logo at around 5 minutes per pic! :wink: Nah, your pics look good still.

I like the official helmet, but the jetpack from Arealight is too cool! :thumbup:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Exactly what I was thinking.

second that and also if you also had painted the helmet it would have been cooler

Not a fan of the flame attachment, unless his jet pack is now a duel flamethrower. The visible flames in the movies were minimal at best.

I have to go with the LEGO one on this one. The Arealight set has the detachable helmet and flame connection, but the LEGO just looks more... LEGO-ish. The Arealight one also doesn't look quite right in all-silver, and looks too CW-ish to me.

So does that mean you don't like even the new TLG Mando helmet mold (Boba's and those of the upcoming Death Watch BP Mandos) and still prefer the old one?

KDM- How does it take you 8 hours to crop and join those pics? default_laugh_new.gif I remove background, insert white, sharpen, remove noise, adjust brightness and contrast, adjust color, and insert my logo at around 5 minutes per pic! default_blink.gif Nah, your pics look good still.

That might've been an exaggeration, but let's just say I have a weird and time-consuming way of post-editing pics. default_laugh2.gif I still do the usual cropping, adjusting of brightness/contrast, adding borders, signature, and text, and some occasional photoshopping, add into acount my slow computer. Anyway, I think all the extra effort pays off once you see the final product. default_classic.gif

So does that mean you don't like even the new TLG Mando helmet mold (Boba's and those of the upcoming Death Watch BP Mandos) and still prefer the old one?

That might've been an exaggeration, but let's just say I have a weird and time-consuming way of post-editing pics. default_laugh2.gif I still do the usual cropping, adjusting of brightness/contrast, adding borders, signature, and text, and some occasional photoshopping, add into acount my slow computer. Anyway, I think all the extra effort pays off once you see the final product. default_classic.gif

Correct. The new Boba and Mando helmets look overly CW-ified and not at all LEGO-ish. The old ones are actually closer in shape to the 'real' ones, IMHO.

I'm just kidding. Eight hours is quite long, but I understand the slow computer.