Bob De Quatre

Home Sweet Home - Sci-Fi contest

13545608804_febef99a69_c.jpg

"It doesn’t matter where you are in the depth of space and time, there is one thing you’ll always need: a home to come back to."

The goal of this contest is to build a home for your favorite Sci-fi theme, official or not. You could build a Blacktron base, a Steampunk lab, an Alien nest, or anything that is covered in the Sci-fi range (I insist, this is not a space base contest :wink:).

There are two categories in this contest, each having a limitation in size:

- Category A: up to 48x48 studs

- Category B: up to 16x16 studs

Your entries must feature the exterior of the home, but you can add an interior if you want. Full buildings or cutaways are accepted.

Prizes:

1st place of category A will receive set 70816 - Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP

2nd place of category A will receive set 70812 - Creative Ambush

1st place of category B will receive set 21103 - The DeLorean Time machine

Rules:

• Entries should be dioramas or vignettes measuring no larger than 16x16 for Category B or 48x48 for Category A, with an overhang of no more than 3 studs.
  • The contest will run from 1st April to 30st April, 2014. As long as it's still April 30st somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Sci-Fi staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
  • One entry per member and per category. You can enter both categories with different entries, but you'll be eligible to receive only one prize.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the episode. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts, no digital entries.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Sci-Fi forum, the title prefixed by, "[HSH] Cat X - ". (For example, "[HSH] Cat B - Space Pirates hideout".)
  • Post pictures no larger than 800x640, but you may link to bigger pictures.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • Entries will be scored by EB members' vote.

The deadline of April the 31st is to far away and makes competing to easy.. Shorten it by a day and seperate the real builders from the amateurs!

The deadline of April the 31st is to far away and makes competing to easy.. Shorten it by a day and seperate the real builders from the amateurs!

woops :look:

Oh, there is no way I'm winning this. I'd love a Benny's Spaceship x3, though...

This better be a joke, there's still a house building contest going on :P

-Sci

Does one entry per member mean we can enter either category A or category B? Or are we allowed to enter in both? Thanks. Never mind, after rereading this I think I got it.

Edited by Ridge Montante

Hope I get time to enter, spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP!

EDIT: also in the title pic the big grey things look a lot like these: ?

Edited by Legofin2012

Awesome. I can't wait to see the entries. I really want to do a 48x48 Alien Conquest scene, but I'm afraid I might have too many of my gray pieces tied up in my Legoredo MOC. I'll see what I can do.

Great! Looking forward to making a Blacktron MOC! So we are allowed to Photoshop a background, right?

Hmm... I have my suspicions. Maybe no one should start building until tomorrow... :wink:

So would a facade of the front be considered enough for the outside, if we wanted to focus on the interior? I may or may not do that, but I feel it'd be easier due to lack of pieces.

I think I might try to participate... but damn only 1 month to build... tough one! (yes for me 1 month to build a 48x48 moc is really short.)

BTw, the entry can be 48x48 but can it also be smaller ? I guess yes but I prefer to ask :D

Been a while since I have built anything Space.

And I do want a Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP.

But I dont know if I will have the time to build anything (or the inspiration to come up with a potentially-winning idea given the caliber of Space builders on this site)

SPACEBASE! SPACEBASE! SPACEBASE!

Hope I get time to enter, spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP!

EDIT: also in the title pic the big grey things look a lot like these: https://www.flickr.c...64/in/contacts/ ?

Are you implying that someone hall-arsed the cover image and just stick Benny on the top of an old spaceship boilerplate in front of two giant awesome ROOKs? and hoped no one would notice?

So, assuming this competition isn't an April Fools joke :) a question that I don't think has an answer lurking elsewhere. 48x48 is the width and depth right? Is it also the height, or, can it be taller?

It's quite possibly an April Fools' Day prank. You guys remember last year, with "AmeriBricks", and how many people actually believed it?

No it's not an April Fools Day prank! If it was I would have offered Friends prizes :grin:

Great! Looking forward to making a Blacktron MOC! So we are allowed to Photoshop a background, right?

You are allowed to use Photoshop on one picture... But your entry should be judged on what you did with the bricks and not with Photoshop :wink:

So would a facade of the front be considered enough for the outside, if we wanted to focus on the interior? I may or may not do that, but I feel it'd be easier due to lack of pieces.

The rules say that the exterior is mandatory and the interior is optionnal... So you can focus on the interior, but don't neglect the exterior too much.

I think I might try to participate... but damn only 1 month to build... tough one! (yes for me 1 month to build a 48x48 moc is really short.)

BTw, the entry can be 48x48 but can it also be smaller ? I guess yes but I prefer to ask :D

I'll see if we could extend the deadline by a few weeks.

48x48 is the maximum depth and width... but you can build smaller. Category A is between 16x16 and 48x48 studs :wink:

I have a question. Does your moc have to be from the "good guys" or can it be from the aliens side? Thanks. :classic:

"Good guys" is only a point of view... As long as your "guys" belongs to the Sci-Fi theme, that's fine :wink:

So, assuming this competition isn't an April Fools joke :) a question that I don't think has an answer lurking elsewhere. 48x48 is the width and depth right? Is it also the height, or, can it be taller?

There is no height limitations.

I'll see if we could extend the deadline by a few weeks.

I wasn't asking for more time, I'm going to take this time limit as a challenge!

Btw , it's not written in the rules, but I suppose microscale is ok ?

I wasn't asking for more time, I'm going to take this time limit as a challenge!

Btw , it's not written in the rules, but I suppose microscale is ok ?

Microscale is ok of course :wink:

This has so many possibilites! Glad there is no height limit... :) Looking forward to the challenge!