Sign in to follow this  
VBBN

MT-201 Ultra-Drill Walker Review

indexed.gif

Okay guys, I have built the set! So let's review!

Set Name: 7649 MT-201 Ultra Drill Walker

Price: $69.99

Pieces: 759

Bought from: Tor R Us in Michigan, US.

The Box:

First we have the front. It shows the Set, it's functuns, and the Limited edition sign. The box is huge, about the size of the Dino Attack chopper set or the Mars Mission Base.

dscn0472.jpg

Nowadays, most set that are $50.00 or more have a flap displaying the sets functions. Opening theflap on this box Reveals a GIGANTIC picture of the set.

dscn0485.jpg

And the back.

dscn0486.jpg

The bags, numbered:

dscn0487.jpg

Next, the manuals. They have piece call outs, page numbers, etc. There are 2 manuals with this set.

dscn0488.jpg

Sticker Sheets:

dscn0489.jpg

They actually aren't all that bad.

Random Manual image:

dscn0490.jpg

Build:

First, we open bag 1. This will build the Alien Craft and the minifigures.

dscn0491.jpg

Now here we have some interesting parts. A green spine from Exo-force, and a black rim for the set Container Stacker.

dscn0495.jpg

Next we start the build on the alien craft. It is pretty sturbdy, but has no cockpit for the alien.

dscn0496.jpg

The alien stickers are really cool. They are rainbow-ish, and has a silver back.

dscn0497.jpg

Next come the build on the wings:

dscn0498.jpg

dscn0499.jpg

And the finished craft. It is pretty good, and has a nice sleek design. However, I think I will use the large ship for the commander out this year to fight the driller instead.

dscn0500.jpg

dscn0501.jpg

Next is bag 2, which builds the rover and Astro Ship.

dscn0502.jpg

First is the Ship. It starts off with Doctor Inferno's colors. It builds up very nice, and the detail is absolutley amazing.

dscn0503.jpg

Next the roof is built. It has some speed racer slopes.

dscn0504.jpg

The hinge piee now has a hole through it. Sorry for the blurry pic:

dscn0505.jpg

More is added:

dscn0508.jpg

Then comes the bottom piece. The detail is very nice, and the hinge piece has a use later on.

dscn0509.jpg

Then you build the crates. Each one holds two crystals.

dscn0510.jpg

Added to the ship, also a pic of the finished ship.

dscn0511.jpg

Here we start the rover. It sports anice detail- The orange studs get coveded by the grill to look more like an engine. The detail in this thing is pretty good. It has a gun and shovel.

dscn0512.jpg

dscn0513.jpg

dscn0514.jpg

Here is how it fits into the ship:

dscn0515.jpg

It slides in...

dscn0516.jpg

And is secured thanks to the hinge.

dscn0517.jpg

Okay, so next we open the number 3 bag, which builds the body.

dscn0518.jpg

Here are some interesting pieces:

dscn0519.jpg

dscn0520.jpg

Then we start the build. It begins nice and study:

dscn0521.jpg

I just love these stickers with the bulldogs on them:

dscn0521.jpg

More of the build, with the stickers added:

dscn0524.jpg

Next we add in the front part. The detail is again, outstanding.

dscn0525.jpg

With the turntable added. It can move down as well.

dscn0526.jpg

dscn0527.jpg

The next step is to build the water tank. It utilizes the bionicle boosters(big white things)

dscn0529.jpg

And added to the walker:

dscn0531.jpg

Then we build that drill. It uses a lot of rims and such.

dscn0532.jpg

With the gears added:

dscn0533.jpg

The front part uses a lot of those new droideka 3-prong things. And bionicle eyes. The drill can spin thanks to the gears.

dscn0534.jpg

And added to the vehical:

dscn0535.jpg

Next is the cockpit. It has a nice space for the Astro's bckpack.

dscn0536.jpg

Added:

dscn0537.jpg

The final stage is the legs. Thank god they aren't like Striking venoms. They are all the same, however. See those two rubber parts? Those keep it in place when on surfaces like glass.

dscn0538.jpg

dscn0539.jpg

Next come the large part of the legs. These are similar to the Assault Tiger's legs.

dscn0540.jpg

The final result is very sturdy, thanks too...

dscn0543.jpg

Notice the amazing classic space sticker?

So we finally come down to this:

dscn0544.jpg

dscn0545.jpg

dscn0546.jpg

The final result is amazing. It is sturdy, and has great detail. It is very realistic. And, when the ship is removed, the drill goes down, and the turret is aimed up...

dscn0547.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the review!

I can't wait. The set looks really good, I don't know why but I think it looks a bit like the Star wars AT-TE.

Edited by Skipper 24

I can't wait, that thing looks amazing. Also, the new LEGO Idol episode I told you about a few weeks ago is up.

Edited by Cyclone Titan

Thanks guys! The review wonb't be until tommorow, but to hold you guys in suspense...

dscn0472.jpg

Can't wait, ~VBBN~. I probably won't buy it, but it'll be nice to see a review.

Well, the awesome Mars Mission set was matched with an awesome review! Good job :thumbup: !

Edited by Adam

I don't know why but I think it looks a bit like the Star wars AT-TE.

Could it be that it's really big (mini-fig scaled) and walks on 4 legs? :grin:

Anyway, I don't normally like it when people make a topic to say they'll review a set soon, but I'll let you off since this is one of the few Mars Mission sets I really like, and I'm glad to know somebody has the set and will be reviewing it. :laugh:

~Peace

Wow! This is a great MM set! And I wouldn't say that, but wow! This looks awesome. It's not the theme I really want, but if I get this set by accident ( :tongue: ) I won't mind! Hope to see your review soon.

Anyway, I don't normally like it when people make a topic to say they'll review a set soon, but I'll let you off since this is one of the few Mars Mission sets I really like, and I'm glad to know somebody has the set and will be reviewing it. :laugh:

~Peace

This practice annoys me as well - especially since I built this set last night and considered making it my first review until I saw this thread. I don't want to step on any toes, so I'll let the original poster go ahead with the full review. In short, to tide everyone over, this set is fantastic. I really like the alien ship, and the main drilling unit/break away ship is an awesome unit with tons of play value. Highly recommended!

Edited by ClubNinja

Anyone know the US release date?

I live in the US. Basicly that means, It's released, as far as I know..

Anyway THE REVIEW IS UP!! SEE THE FIRST POST! Thanks!

As for me, I'm off to buil the agent's mobile command center.

Edited by ~VBBN~

Wonderful review. I'd die if I had to upload that many pictures... :wacko:

Man, this is it: the pinacle of Mars Mission's second and final year. Man, this baby is flawless. There are so many indications that the designers took care in designing this kit - like the space for the pilot's backpack, the compartment for the mini flier, the sturdy leg design - etc etc etc. :sweet:

Kudos to TLC for making Mars Mission go out with a bang. I have high hopes that whereever the space theme goes next year, TLC will make it worth the wait. :thumbup:

Edited by Grevious

Is it seriously? This set was a must-buy for me in the first place, but now that I see it in so much detail, it's just perfect... even the alien ship is better than usual. I love the scooter that flies out of the escape pod, the backpacks, bulldog stickers, and water tank. :D

I'll be getting this one! SPACE FANS UNITE!

Nice review! I really want this set, but I love most Mars Mission sets so it shouldn't be a surprise! :tongue: It's great to see a good driller at last.

~Peace

I feel the same way... we have been considering closing topics like this. In ~VBBN~'s defense, he was fast. :sweet:

OK, minus ten for the placeholder, but plus about ten million for the review. :sweet:

This set is just amazing. It's really earned it's colors, and I'm sure no Classic Space fan can complain, even Snefroe :wink:. I didn't know it had the tilting function for the drill- S@H is so pathetic with its pictures, and they really missed this amazing function. :wub: The detachable ship is so cute, it's almost Classic Space in it's design.

Major thumbs up to TLC. :wub: Hell, make it a hug, even. :wub:

This review should be put on the front page!

I agree. I told him that if nothing more exciting turned up I would... and thus I have. :grin:

Excellent review, it's a great set, I really love the look of the little ship. Would it be possible to get some walking pictures of the walker?

Wooha!

I thought I never would see a nice Mars Mission set, but this Walker ist the best proof I was wrong.

It really looks good and I love the bricks used to make the shape. The airtank is cool and for once I have to say even the stickers are looking good.

Man, did I really say that? :wacko: Normally I hate stickers. :look:

Nice review (some pictures would have gotten better with macro ON, but as it seems to be time to forgive I won´t point on that any longer)

Thank you very much VBBN! :thumbup:

Holy Brick!

I just love the water tank and those legs are soooo cool!

I dont think I have enough cash to buy after the star wars release...yikes...! :grin:

Thanks VBBN,for a super review! :wink:

Wonderful review. I'd die if I had to upload that many pictures... :wacko:

Man, this is it: the pinacle of Mars Mission's second and final year. Man, this baby is flawless. There are so many indications that the designers took care in designing this kit - like the space for the pilot's backpack, the compartment for the mini flier, the sturdy leg design - etc etc etc. :sweet:

Kudos to TLC for making Mars Mission go out with a bang. I have high hopes that whereever the space theme goes next year, TLC will make it worth the wait. :thumbup:

Thanks! And yes, it took me half an hour just to resize them, and an hour to upload them to brickshelf.

Is it seriously? This set was a must-buy for me in the first place, but now that I see it in so much detail, it's just perfect... even the alien ship is better than usual. I love the scooter that flies out of the escape pod, the backpacks, bulldog stickers, and water tank. :D

I'll be getting this one! SPACE FANS UNITE!

Ah, very good! And the detail is truley a part in this set. The water tank is actualy pretty nice.

Nice review! I really want this set, but I love most Mars Mission sets so it shouldn't be a surprise! :tongue: It's great to see a good driller at last.

I feel the same way... we have been considering closing topics like this. In ~VBBN~'s defense, he was fast. :sweet:

Thanks!

OK, minus ten for the placeholder, but plus about ten million for the review. :sweet:

This set is just amazing. It's really earned it's colors, and I'm sure no Classic Space fan can complain, even Snefroe :wink:. I didn't know it had the tilting function for the drill- S@H is so pathetic with its pictures, and they really missed this amazing function. :wub: The detachable ship is so cute, it's almost Classic Space in it's design.

Major thumbs up to TLC. :wub: Hell, make it a hug, even. :wub:

Lol, thanks. I just wanted to claim my place for the review. However from the looks of it, only me and another member have this set.

I agree. I told him that if nothing more exciting turned up I would... and thus I have. :grin:

Thanks!

Excellent review, it's a great set, I really love the look of the little ship. Would it be possible to get some walking pictures of the walker?

Thanks! And sure. I shall have them up tonight.

Wooha!

I thought I never would see a nice Mars Mission set, but this Walker ist the best proof I was wrong.

It really looks good and I love the bricks used to make the shape. The airtank is cool and for once I have to say even the stickers are looking good.

Man, did I really say that? :wacko: Normally I hate stickers. :look:

Nice review (some pictures would have gotten better with macro ON, but as it seems to be time to forgive I won´t point on that any longer)

Thank you very much VBBN! :thumbup:

Thanks! And I keep forgetting to put on Macro... I really need to.

Holy Brick!

I just love the water tank and those legs are soooo cool!

I dont think I have enough cash to buy after the star wars release...yikes...! :grin:

Thanks VBBN,for a super review! :wink:

Welcome!

Few things:

Build Time: 3.0 Hours

And my favorite stickers of the set...

dscn0523.jpg

I don't like Mars Mission sets but this one is just SPECTACULAR! :classic: It is beautiful! :cry_happy: I must have this set, even if it means selling my kidney! :tongue: I only have one Mars Mission set, the ETX Alien Mothership Assault, which is okay. But this set blows my mind! Two thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:

Looks like a great set, i may consider making this the first mars mission set i buy. Nice review also.

But

Lol, thanks. I just wanted to claim my place for the review.

Personally i don't think you had a place to claim. Somebody else could have also gotten this set and had a proper review ready before yours but felt it was wrong to post because you had posted a placeholder ( ClubNinja in this case). I think placeholders should be banned and if you are not ready to post a full review you should not post anything. Simple really. Either that or what is the policy on here regarding more than one review of a set being posted - then you could have both posted reviews and it wont really matter i guess.

Just my 2 cents worth :sceptic:

Thanks for the review though.