The City of Skavenport was one of the strangest cities in Nocturnus, where indeed many a strange town existed. Maybe it was even one of the most peculiar cities in all of Historica. But at the first glance a visitor could find no difference to any other bustling town. There were half timbered houses, large and small, built without any sign of logic; older houses with crooked roofs and sagged walls, newer houses attached to the others whereever a free corner could be found. Houses lined to long winding alleys. Some of the larger streets were paved, or once had been at least, but most were muddy and rough.

Everywhere the reisdents were busy, hushing through the streets, children were playing, and barkers could be heared. All in all it was a loud place full of life and hustle.

But this most special town was inhabited by rats. Not only rats, but rats and men together, side by side. Because this was the city of Osric Isentooth, the Rat Lord. Long ago, when the rats, were driven out of their realm far in the northern Rakath Mountains, Osric led them all through Nocturnus to the eastern shore. But the rats had been weakened and were disheartened. So Osric called for people all over Historica to follow him and join his cause. So the men of Skavenport had come. They were neither lords nor noble knights, not even brave farmers or diligent craftsmen. These men had been thieves and robbers, smugglers and all sort of sinister fellows. That kind of people decent citizen would call rats. And said:"You may live like vermin under your kind, or you live free and proud under us rats."

So vagabonds turned into most respectable citizens. They became farmers and craftsmen and merchants. Thieves, who had never known other than loneliness, became the fathers of families.

And the rats on the other hand adapted much of the manners of their new neighbours. Where they once had lived in caverns and dug tunnels they now inhabited tall houses and walked other broad streets. They learned to esteem precious fabric and to trade with all kinds of goods (a new and very strong domain of the rat people). They learned how to grow crops and even how to tame the sea. Some travelled far away aboard black sailed ships and returned with spices from isles as far in the south as any mariner ever dared to sail.

And the rats and the men lived henceforth in union, and nothing ever would divide them.

22105711672_9445a6ccbd_b.jpg

21497153813_9d443da29f_b.jpg

21930179840_c60f30073e_b.jpg

21930249120_3f9ce2f7a7_b.jpg

21497149763_49880f0ca1_b.jpg

So, finally I can present you the first build of my city! Enjoy Skavenport!

Finally this is finished and it was well worth the wait. You really brought this to life with the angled walls, small alleys and bustling citizens.

Crazy cool medieval town! The numerous houses, with helter skelter layout all look amazing :thumbup: Lots of details to appreciate in the streets too.

And I like the border design you used too :classic:

Well that's gorgeous. :cry_happy: I love the precarious little tower thing sprouting off the side of the close building.

Looks like a lively city!

Love the tiny house cramped in between the 2 other ones in the back.

The little tower is very nice as well

Hey Jacob,

Awesome MOC. I just featured this on the front page of Classic Castle.

http://classic-castle.com/

I wanted to add, though, how wonderful your description is. It sounds like the first page of a well-written book, and I want to read the rest.

BTW, I don't have any TMNT sets, so I had no clue where the rat head element came from in this and a bunch of your MOCs. I figured it was something from Chima (another theme I don't have any of), and I was scrolling through the figs on BrickLink trying to figure out what it was. Then I thought maybe it was some EU fig from Star Wars. Then finally I realized it was Splinter.

Bruce

Great work, one of your best yet! Good job on the texturing, and lots of nice details to look at!

Wonderful build, Jacob!

This has a perfectly medieval look to it, especially with the unaligned buildings and the stonework and roof slats! Amazing little details and story!

Wow, what an amazing depiction of a medieval town, Jacob. The rats seem to have settled well after their exodus from their mountain realm.

The architecture looks really realistic, and the lightning combined with the colour scheme gives it a great atmosphere. :thumbup: Further, I think you have struck a nice balance with your greebling, as I it can be overdone.

However, rats and "black sailed ships"? This reminds me of the plague storyline of the Avalonian civil war - should one be suspicious? :tongue:

www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96677

Awesome build JN! I love how crooked and cluttered it is, it really feels like a bustling town. However , like I said on Flickr, I'm suprised they allow cats in a city run by rats ;)