Sign in to follow this  
Bugbot2008

MOC: The prancing pony

Hi Everyone

​I finally got round to photographing one of my favorite MOCs, this is the Inn The prancing pony from the Lord of the Rings the Felowship of the Ring!

Like all my other models I aimed for the style of an official set, please enjoy these pictures or check out my MOC page for some more details: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/410849

14291292951_DISPLAY.jpg

14291364844_DISPLAY.jpg

14293428092_DISPLAY.jpg

14293425982_DISPLAY.jpg

14291337793_DISPLAY.jpg

14291343551_SPLASH.jpg

Using robot arms as hinges and a small turn-table the stairs folds into the available space so that the building can close in half.

14293429092_SPLASH.jpg

14291358056_DISPLAY.jpg

The eye of Sauron appears by turning a small knob pocking out the side of the building.

14291356306_DISPLAY.jpg

14291372293_DISPLAY.jpg

14291346431_DISPLAY.jpg

The hobbits can escape by pulling out one of the beds revealing a chute which drops them down to the front door.

14293430745_DISPLAY.jpg

14293430042_DISPLAY.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

You are right Bugbot2008 the amount of bricks and the look of the moc really makes it an "official like" moc. Beautiful building there!

Edited by Gunman

Amazing work! :wub:

I really love how you made the Prancing Pony. You did a great job recreating that scene in the style of an official set. The play features are very nice and I love the interior.

Edited by Balbo

If I didn't know differently I'd think this was an official set. The design is excellent and the colors are very good as well. The play features are similar to what you'd expect in an official set too. I couldn't care less about LOTR but I'd definitely buy this if it was available in stores!

It looks as if it could be a real set with one major exception; the staircase. Lego would either not include a staircase or make it a permanent fit, the folding mechanic is too fiddly just to allow the building to close.

One could ask: does it even need to close? The width and open back are reminiscent of "An Unexpected Gathering" and the fun in that set is recreating the scenes in Bag-End, to achieve that it doesn't need to fold or close and indeed doing so would reduce it's play value.

Edited by The_Cook

It looks as if it could be a real set with one major exception; the staircase. Lego would either not include a staircase or make it a permanent fit, the folding mechanic is too fiddly just to allow the building to close.

One could ask: does it even need to close? The width and open back are reminiscent of "An Unexpected Gathering" and the fun in that set is recreating the scenes in Bag-End, to achieve that it doesn't need to fold or close and indeed doing so would reduce it's play value.

Well I had the buildings from the medieval market village set in mind, it was very challenging however to get the split in the roof in the right location, but it's all part of the fun I think

The staircase was an afterthought tbh, I had all the parts I needed already so decided to see what I could come up with, I kept it in the end because I like how it folds away so neatly :)

Edited by Bugbot2008

I agree with what the rest have commented. It does give a strong feel that is suitable for an official set. I am specially fond of the playing mechanisms like the weapons under the bed. The gate with the watchman is a nice touch too.

This is a wonderful MOC and with such as strong set like feel, I would recommend an IDEAS project. I certainly would Support it.

I second that. I think there is a real art to designing an 'official-style' set, in restraining yourself while creating as much detail and features with as few elements as possible. It looks really amazing.