Isn't it about time for something fun and wacko :classic:

What about a world first LDD community build? Could that be something? But I think we should do it with a brand new twist. Instread of a normal community build with everyone building a small, pre-defined chunk, I propose a relay community build. The idea is that one person starts out laying out 50 bricks (or so). Then the LXF is sent to the next person in line, who adds another 50 bricks. Then you go on like that, and eventually we'll see what it becomes (a miniature city, a CC house, a car, a piece of art?). I don't know if you need to decide before hand what it shall become, or if you just add what you feel like and it kind of evolves organically :wacko:

What do you guys think, does it sound like an idea?

I think this is a great idea! It could possibly spawn one of the greatest creations ever!

Though I think there should be two versions, one that has a set object to build and the other, a more art form group build where stuff just gets added and we see the evolution. This is because these are two completely different builds, but they are also two awesome sides to the same great idea of an LDD community build.

I'd say the "art" build can start really quickly, and you can have voting on what the set model should be.

Also, it would be kind of cool to have second takes, where the first person comes back say, 10 people down the line and adds something once again.

Couple of things to think of:

taking pictures of every person (step) to see the progress, sort of like a time lapse to see the evolution.

piece limit for each round. (doesn't have to be small, but this changes the build a lot)

people limit? So that it doesn't become a giant monster of pieces, though I'm unsure of how this would work, or if its even a good idea.

round limit? so say, there is a 3000 piece cap, each person gets 100 pieces, that's 30 rounds, people sign up for a round they want to be.

is editing allowed? or are previous parts "glued in"

color limit?

universe mode or not?

As for a designated model, I think these would be cool categories to start with:

space station

castle + grounds + environment

city

cc house

modular space ship (hard, but its been done)

robot/mecha

monster/creature

battle scenes (any era/style)

x-large vignette (great for a comedy based build)

Sorry for going on so much, but I just love this idea!

I also think both should be done. I think the freeform might get bossed around too much by each builder, but that could also be lots of fun

"heh heh I'm gonna make this a treehouse, suckers :devil: "

"heh heh heh your treehouse is now a monkey :devil: "

" :angry: Aw you low-down rotten son of a.."

"haha take that :tongue: "

" :hmpf: yeah guys, your monkey treehouse is a convertible now, so... :grin: "

" :cry_sad: "

" :cry_sad: "

In any case, count me in to participate :thumbup:

Sure, but we must agree to add stuff ONLY, no removal of other people's MOC's. Also keep things clean, no odd stuff.

That is a great idea. But this does leave a lot of room for augments so maybe put a post cap limit for who can participate.

Count me in whatever happens.

Well, let's give it a try. Is there a voluntary that could be moderator for this experiment? I guess basically it's a matter of setting up the topic, and establish some simple rules (which I personally think should be minimial). Having said that, let's leave it in the hands of the "moderator" :tongue:

BTW, what shall we call this thing anyway? "Relay Community Build (RCB)?

And to everybody: Make sure to sign up when the community build topic starts. This could very well be the first ever RCB in history. :sweet:

I would love to do this. My only concern is that internet n00bz will ruin it (hopefully not. And I'm not saying you guys :wink: ). :thumbup:

Edited by The Soup Nazi

I would love to do this. My only concern is that internet n00bz will ruin it (hopefully not. And I'm not saying you guys :wink: ). :thumbup:

I don't think there will be any problem with noobs. If there is, we'll handle it. But good point nevertheless.

Fantastic idea, Superkalle! I'm definitely game! :thumbup:

I don't mind taking charge if nobody else wants to. :classic:

Edited by ADHO15

I guess there are some possible ways:

1. Moderator controlled relay

The topic moderator creates a list of builders

The topic moderator PM's out the LXF-file to the first person in line. When that person is done, he mails it back to the moderator, who mails it to next etc.

2. Semi-structured

The topic moderator creates a list of builders

First person post an LXF in the topic. The next person in the list downloads, builds, and then uploads in the topic. BAsically same as 1) above, but without PM/Mail involved.

3. Crazy-time

No list of builders is created. First person posts an LXF. Then whoever sees it grabs it by posting "Checked out by NN". After he's done, the next person can "check it out" and so on.

Are there more ways?

I think the first one is the best in terms of structure. If the mod mails it out and it doesn't get sent back in time, it goes to the next on the list.

I think the first one is the best in terms of structure. If the mod mails it out and it doesn't get sent back in time, it goes to the next on the list.

I concur. It'll also reduce the risk of the two versions getting mixed up or lost and it'll just mean more structure in every way.

Maybe the PM-system would be just as fine. Then everyone don't have to send their mail adresses?

Maybe the PM-system would be just as fine. Then everyone don't have to send their mail adresses?

That's what I meant by mail :blush:

Sure. There are ways of using the PM system without resorting to email for anything.

Another simple way could be that:

As soon as a user concludes his work, he posts in this thread sharing the file.

The first user that posts after him can take the file.

Obviously there should be some rule, or the file risks to be taken ever from the same users.

Another idea could be a sort of "booking queue".

The only issue about this method is that an user can't try to have the file when he has "the inspiration", but he will have it simply when his turn will arrive.

Edited by Calabar

Another simple way could be that:

As soon as a user concludes his work, he posts in this thread sharing the file.

The first user that posts after him can take the file.

Is that not just the same as Superkalle's third option?

Is that not just the same as Superkalle's third option?

It's absolutely possible... I didn't read the whole topic! :tongue:

I think it is better and simpler than using private message, however.

Yes! :classic: I'd love this! I would love to participate! I haven't been able to do anything else due to restrictions with my camera and bricks but with LDD there are no issues. Please do have one or several, it'd be wonderful. Count me in. :wink: