Sign in to follow this  
ms09

[MINI] Pneumatic Wheel Log Grab Excavator

Hello Everyone,

Here is my entry for the very interesting mini build contest: a pneumatic wheel log grab excavator. It is the first time that I have chance enjoying the building of mini MOC instead of all PF/RC MOCs with 94.8 x 44 R tyres. :laugh:

By estimation the number of parts in the MOC shouldn't have exceeded 200, but I will take it apart later on for sure to get precise data, and see whether I still have room for some decoration or must cut something off.

Function for this mini MOC is quite reliable:

1. All wheel steering in the chassis, and steering is done in a HoG way, just like any technic official set;
  2. Pneumatic controlled lift arms, air valve is put in the driving carbin to make it look more realistic;
  3. Wood grab (if it is also one function).

Release Ver. 1.0

1402342419m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402342413m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402342409m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402342405m_DISPLAY.jpg

Release Ver. 2.0

Modifications:

1. Chassis totally re-designed;
  2. Lift arm modified;
  3. Seat colour changed.

1402774706m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402774695m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402774702m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402774709m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402774713m_DISPLAY.jpg

Release Ver. 2.2

Modifications: further efforts on parts and size reduction in engine bay. The number of parts should be under 200 now. :laugh:

1402835344m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402835490m_DISPLAY.jpg

1402835498m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by ms09

Interesting entry, I like how you compactly & tidily included pneumatics.

Thanks for your comment!

I think it is the advantage of pneumatic system itself, look forward seeing more pneumatic MOCs in the contest. :grin:

Very interesting model. Looks good, but I would find it hard to believe if it was under 200 parts.

Perhaps it would work even better with large cylinders for a bigger range of motion...?

it's a nice model, and a good thing you managed so many functions in only 200 parts. Also, indeed, the pneumatics are really well done. However, my first impression when I saw the model is that it is quite large and (especially) empty. Would it be possible to do the same thing, but smaller? I think there's more room to add details if you take a step back in size.

So many thanks for all your comments and feedbacks!

I have some ideas for further modification to reduce size (height) and colour of seat. :laugh:

Of course I shall then count the parts later on when the model is finally done.

If you want TLG to consider this for an official set, you've got to change the seat color. TLG would never accept an orange seat. :laugh:

Anyway, this strongly reminds my of the 8851 excavator from 1984. Which btw. just counts 347 pieces.

If you want TLG to consider this for an official set, you've got to change the seat color. TLG would never accept an orange seat. :laugh:

Anyway, this strongly reminds my of the 8851 excavator from 1984. Which btw. just counts 347 pieces.

Ok, I promise that the colour of the seat will be modified. :grin:

BTW, excavator is really a very very traditional topic for official technic set.

Release Ver 3.1 with part list is available: the upper structure is totally re-designed to fullfil the parts limit, currently 200 parts in total, turntable also as 2 parts and 7 tubes are counted as 7 parts.

1403381553m_DISPLAY.jpg

1403381569m_DISPLAY.jpg

1403381549m_DISPLAY.jpg

1403381559m_DISPLAY.jpg

1403381566m_DISPLAY.jpg

1403381571m_DISPLAY.jpg

1403381576m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by ms09

Don't forget that each length of pneumatic hose counts as one part - your picture has one large length of hose, but the model has several small lengths.

Don't forget that each length of pneumatic hose counts as one part - your picture has one large length of hose, but the model has several small lengths.

Thanks for your comment!

The hose was cut into 7 pieces, and if every piece of hose dose count, the total number of parts would be exactly 200.

However, I thought the definition of lego part refered to BL, which means a 30cm pneumatic hose is a single part but has nothing to do with how you cut it.