Bob De Quatre

[CONTEST] An a-Maze-ing contest!

26138238914_8b169a251d_b.jpg

Categories

A: Game board - Build a game board, usable with the #21305 Maze set's tilt system.

B: Maze tilt system - Build a maze tilt system compatible with the #21305 Maze set's games boards. The basic functions must remain the same, but you can decorate it as you wish, or add functionalities.

Rules

• First rule: have fun!
  • The contest will run from 1st May to 5th June 2016. As long as it's still June 5thsomewhere in the world, you can still enter.
  • Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the EB staff, who can enter but are not eligible to win prizes.
  • One entry per member and per category. You can enter all categories with different entries, but you'll be eligible to receive only one prize.
  • All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the contest. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.
  • Original instructions for the #21305 Maze set are available on Lego website, and the LXF file is available here.
  • All entries must be built from real LEGO. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts.
  • Digital entries are accepted , as long as they are entirely buildable with real bricks!
  • Non-Lego light sources are allowed as long as you mention it in your entry description.
  • You can use official stickers or custom stickers.
  • All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Special Themes forum, the title prefixed by, "[Maze] Cat X - ". (For example, "[Maze] Cat A - Disney Princess board".)
  • Post pictures no larger than 800x640, but you may link to bigger pictures.
  • You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.
  • All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.
  • Winners will be determined by public voting.

Prizes

Category A first place: #21305 Maze

Category A second place: #31036 Toy and Grocery Shop

Category B first place: #21305 Maze

Category B second place: #31050 Corner Deli Price

Great contest! Are there any hight/size restrictions for category A? (Aside from the obvious). And, do the game boards need to be strong enough for TLG to have included them in the maze set, or can they be really fragile?

Game boards need to be playable, so they should not be too fragile. There is no height restriction, but if you put a tall structure only help by one stud, it's obvious it won't resist the tilts!

Game boards need to be playable, so they should not be too fragile. There is no height restriction, but if you put a tall structure only help by one stud, it's obvious it won't resist the tilts!

Good point. Anyway, I just put the maze on order at S&H! :wink:

Are power function parts allowed, guessing mindstorm parts falls under this same category ?

Sounds like a great contest !

If i make in digital, can i use parts color that LEGO not produce? and i don't know much about contest, should i make those A & B category or just make on one category?

If i make in digital, can i use parts color that LEGO not produce?
Digital entries are accepted , as long as they are entirely buildable with real bricks!

------------------------------------------

• You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.

Can we use photos of a model, say, built in Mecabricks and transferred into Blender, just so long as we make sure that the lighting stays natural?

Also, I saw nothing in the rules about any restrictions regarding themes? Can we make boards based on non-LEGO-owned themes?

Are power function parts allowed, guessing mindstorm parts falls under this same category ?

Sounds like a great contest !

Every parts produced by Lego are allowed, including power functions and mindstorm.

If i make in digital, can i use parts color that LEGO not produce? and i don't know much about contest, should i make those A & B category or just make on one category?

Digital entries are allowed. You can enter both categories.

Can we use photos of a model, say, built in Mecabricks and transferred into Blender, just so long as we make sure that the lighting stays natural?

Also, I saw nothing in the rules about any restrictions regarding themes? Can we make boards based on non-LEGO-owned themes?

Renders of models are allowed.

There is no restriction regarding the themes, you can do what you want. Just remember that there will be a public voting, so if your theme is completely obscure, that may cause the voters to underestimate your entry.

Do we have to photograph it with the original set?

No. For category A, pictures of only the game board is enough, but we'll look at them closely to be sure they fit on the tilt system of the original set.

Interesting! I don't have the Maze set, but I might make my own game board, it sounds like a really fun thing to do! :thumbup::classic: I'm terrible at MOCing, but I think I'll have a go purely for fun!

Good luck everyone!

Wowww, it's almost as if what we were discussing was already being planned! :tongue:

Awesome, can't wait to try and make something!

No. For category A, pictures of only the game board is enough, but we'll look at them closely to be sure they fit on the tilt system of the original set.

If we have a (digital) model of the tilt system, we're still allowed to use it in our pictures though, right?

Cat. A question: x45 Sports Soccer Ball Plain is the official part used for the "ball" part of #21305 Maze. Unfortunately, it only exists in orange. However, the all-but-identical part 54821 Bionicle Zamor Sphere exists in a plethora of colors.

Could people depicting game-board set-ups choose to use Zamor Spheres instead of x45s, if it suited their models? It's about the same thing as using a 4085 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 2 (thin U clip) instead of a #T=C"]4085c Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 3 (thick U clip).

If we have a (digital) model of the tilt system, we're still allowed to use it in our pictures though, right?

Yes. You don't have to build a tilt system for your game board to enter category A. But you have to post at least one picture of the game board alone.

Cat. A question: x45 Sports Soccer Ball Plain is the official part used for the "ball" part of #21305 Maze. Unfortunately, it only exists in orange. However, the all-but-identical part 54821 Bionicle Zamor Sphere exists in a plethora of colors.

Could people depicting game-board set-ups choose to use Zamor Spheres instead of x45s, if it suited their models? It's about the same thing as using a 4085 Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 2 (thin U clip) instead of a 4085c Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 3 (thick U clip).

Any kind of Lego ball can be used.

Awesome! This sounds super fun!

For those of us who don't yet own the set, what are the dimensions and everything for the two categories?

Now I really wish I'd bought this set already...

Awesome! This sounds super fun!

For those of us who don't yet own the set, what are the dimensions and everything for the two categories?

Now I really wish I'd bought this set already...

The frame is 32x32 and the actual maze is 24x24.

The frame is 32x32 and the actual maze is 24x24.

Thank you. So the frame goes in all the way to the maze? The frame is 8 studs on each side?

This will be a lot easier to build for than the Exo-Suit contest was, because I won't have to wait for the Maze to turn up before I can build my entry/s. Which is just as well, because S@H takes 3 weeks to deliver to me and I only ordered the set yesterday.

Never mind!

I was going to say no anyway...

I really encourage participant to at least download and take a look at the instructions, especially for Category B.

Can it be a GBC module?

I'm not really sure what your idea is. I'm guessing you're talking about the Category B, the tilt system ?