Sign in to follow this  
jamie75

MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle

Today, I present the MTV-7 Mini-Rig from the Kenner Star Wars line from the 80's.

The MTV-7 Multi-Terrain Vehicle[1] was a wheeled scouting car utilized by the Imperial Army during the prime years of the Galactic Civil War. In addition to the vehicle's basic upright position, the MTV-7's large double wheels,[2] each featuring grooved surface treading,[3] extended outward from the main body to adopt a low, ground-hugging configuration.[2] Such versatility made the MTV-7 adaptable to many environments, and the vehicle was easier to deploy than the Empire's All Terrain Scout Transport walker.[3] Armed with a single rotating laser cannon, the MTV-7 held room for a single pilot in an open-air cockpit—unlike speeder bikes, the MTV-7 did not require a pilot possessed of suicidal tendencies.[3] A forward-facing, grilled headlight was positioned at the front of the vehicle.[2]

10_-_eu_-_mini-rig_-_mtv-7_-_multi-terrain_vehicle.jpg

This is my largest Mini-Rig. The original model had room for one Snowtrooper. I took the idea of it and made in more of a troop carrier for rough terrain.

10_-_eu_-_mini-rig_-_mtv-7_-_multi-terrain_vehicle_1.jpg

There is room for a driver, 3 troops, and 1 gunner. To get the angles on the wheels, I used click-hinges.

But, I did make a smaller version of this model, one that is more in line with original. I wish there were smaller slopes, the sides of the smaller model are so flat.

10_-_eu_-_mini-rig_-_mtv-7_-_multi-terrain_vehicle_9.jpg

I like them both, even thou, the larger isn't really true to the source material.

The larger has 355 pieces in it. The smaller has 130. The lxf is attached and includes both model in it.

Jamie

10 - EU - Mini-Rig - MTV-7 - Multi-Terrain Vehicle.lxf

Edited by jamie75

I had this toy back in the days. This is a great Lego incarnation of it. Even though the 1-person version is more accurate, I like the large one carrying four troopers better.

It'd be cool if you built all your Lego re-creations of the old Kenner toys with real bricks and did a group photograph with all of them assembled.

I've for to agree with the above... although the smaller might be the more scale accurate to the Minirig the transporter version is a much better model.

Maybe when I've got all these custom figures and everything else out of the way I can put a big BrickLink order in and make some of these!

Yeah, I do plan on building them all!! As I said before, just need to wait for work to slow down and get some downtime!

I think I am going to play with the smaller model and see if I can come up with a better way to get the shape right.

I am also working on a Rebrickable to file for a massive Bricklink order.

I will be posting the last Mini-Rig later today, PDT-8.

I will also work on a "family photo" too.

Thanks, Jamie

Interesting but very nice vehicle and very nice MOC! Keep 'em coming!

Today, I present the MTV-7 Mini-Rig from the Kenner Star Wars line from the 80's.

I like them both, even thou, the larger isn't really true to the source material.

The larger has 355 pieces in it. The smaller has 130. The lxf is attached and includes both model in it.

Jamie

Thanks for your inspiration, I like more the small version and so I tried to build it.

It still seems to be quite high (almost you can't see the figure), so I modified some things and I'm still trying to work out the sides.

Have a look:

https://www.dropbox.....JPG~2.jpg?dl=0

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by el_jugador