Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Master_48

[MOC] Claw Beast (LDD)

When building Bionicle MOCs, I'm the kind of person who often starts by seeing a particular piece or two and then decides to build the whole thing around that piece; this build is no different. I started by trying to make a generic Toa frame, but stumbled across the Av-Matoran leg in the parts section- you know, that piece so hated by so many G1 Bionicle fans? I decided that I should try to put it to good use!

claw_beast_render.png

Gallery when public: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=565293

Despite the generic name- sorry, I'm not too good at coming up with names on the fly- Claw Beast has a pretty interesting, albeit somewhat simple, build. In order to accommodate both the dual Av-Matoran legs and the gearbox, I had to make some extra space toward the back. Normally, a Technic beam would accomplish what I wanted, but I'm not that kind of person; I wanted something more unique than what I usually do! So I just stuck a Protector torso to the back and called it a day. The addition of this piece, along with the Av-Matoran legs, afforded some interesting possibilities: though I had intended the leg pieces to hold some sort of armor, with the leg joints of the larger torso being the actual legs of the creature, eventually, I reversed this decision as I was putting the torso armor on, realizing how impractical that would be, along with the fact that the weird shape of the Av-Matoran legs make such a connection possible simplistically. With both the frontal armor and the Av-Matoran legs in the way, the available joints of the Protector torso became the perfect spot to put another set of arms with wide enough spacing from the upper arms as to not impede motion significantly. However, due to all the added bulk, the sides of the gearbox had to be widened as to allow the arms some distance (they should be able to move as long as they're not completely vertical). I finished off the build with the feet and head, both which were intended to be somewhat avian in design to suggest that this creature might just be a mutated bird.

More pictures below.

claw_beast_01.png

The same as the first image, except not rendered.

claw_beast_02.png

View from the back in the same pose.

claw_beast_03.png

View from the front in a regular pose.

claw_beast_04.png

View from the side in the same pose.

claw_beast_06.png

View without armor or helmet. The head is somewhat improvised in place of a custom head, but I kind of like the creepy distended eyes.