Dr. Brick

WIP: Town

t15072009int017.jpg

Hi Everybody!

Today I shall show you what I do with my lego.

I am building a town. It is a WIP that I intend to finish in a years time. The pictures in this post were made today (15/07/2009). I will post more pictures when I get further.

It is built on 3 tables and consists of several parts or 'districts'.

Table 1

Here is a pic of the complete table:

t15072009int003.jpg

I will move from left to right.

The Farm

This is the most left part of the first table. The farm consist out of the Creator Beach House, the Vestas Wind Turbine (the Vestas set isn't real, I collected the parts myself) and the 1989 Derby Trotter. Two sets are still missing: the Creator Family Home (which needs to go in the top left corner) and of course the Farm (which needs to go in the bottom left corner).

t15072009int007.jpg

t15072009int008.jpg

The Centre

Next to the farm I am building the centre of the town. This will consist of the Modular Houses (at the moment I only have the Green Grocer). Behind the Houses is a building site.

t15072009int006.jpg

In the centre there is also a octan garage (part of Town Plan) and the City Police Station (I actually feel the Police Station is a bit ugly, I'm thinking of replacing it with something else! Any ideas?). Behind the garage I'm thinking of putting the bycicle shop from the new City Corner.

t15072009int004.jpg

Also have look at my work on the road down, which I'm pretty proud of! :tongue:

t15072009int005.jpg

And then there is a big open space. What goes there? The Grand Carousel of course! :classic:

t15072009int009.jpg

Table 2

Now let us move on to table two. At the moment it is... a dump! :hmpf_bad:

t15072009int010.jpg

t15072009int011.jpg

t15072009int012.jpg

The only thing that's in its correct place is the Ferris Wheel.

But it won't be like this forever. (I hope) I have made a rough design of the bridge that needs to connect the railway on both sides of the dump. It shoud go over roads (which are allready in place), a dike (the gray plate on the design), water and finally connecting with the station on the other side (more on that later). The train is just one of my earlier designs, I will not build it.

townbridgeint001.jpg

Table 3

t15072009int013.jpg

As you can see this table also needs some dusting, but it's better than the previous one.

Here we can find:

The Square

The square consists of two buildings from the Town Plan and the City Station. I also want it to include the pizza shop from the new City Corner.

t15072009int014.jpg

The Industrial Site

The Industrial Site includes an (intended :tongue: ) dump, a shunting yard (with 10027 Train Engine Shed) and theCity Harbour.

t15072009int015.jpg

t15072009int016.jpg

There, that was it. As you can see I still have a lot of work on it but I'll never say no to a challenge if it includes LEGO. :tongue:

Rember I am still building this and I would love to here all your ideas on how I could do it better. As mentioned before I will add photos now and then to keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks for reading! :sweet:

Dr. Brick

P.S.: Sorry for the (sometimes) blurry pics!

That is a very impressive layout. My town layout consists right now of Green Grocer on a shelf, and several building fronts that I have used in animations as a city, but that's it. I plan on expanding with the other city buildings available to make a city block. You are much more ambitious here. Good luck, and I am eager to see it finished. :sweet:

Indeed, that's getting pretty impressive. I like this layout, it's looking good. Those rocks are also done very well. Maybe you adjust the police station and make a MOC out of it? That's what I am going to do when I ever get the place for my own LEGO city. The bridge you've made with the computer looks also very good. I'm looking forward to the finished result!

This is really looking good! I love the use of the 'riser tables' to give the layout some depth in terms of the terrain. It really helps to bring the layout to life. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Impressive City Collection, and very well displayed :thumbup: The roadplate ramp is quite interesting :wink:

Great layout. You have done an excellent job of producing an eclectic mix of buildings, vehicles and scenes within the layout that provide for that diversity that you need to make a big display look real. As was said above I like the raisers as well. That is an idea I have been contemplating with the large display I have been working on. I think what people don't realize who haven't attempted a large design such as this is that the real hard part isn't the buildings and the vehicles it is in creating the space and setting in which they all occupy. I have spent a tremendous amount of time thinking about how I will attempt to address that issue as I progress. You have provided my with a lot of good reference material here.

That's getting a great Town layout, Dr. Brick! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

I really like how you build it up with three levels - great idea of which I personally never would have thought! :thumbup:

And I see some awesome sets being set up on your display, too, Town Plan, Vestas Wind Power Plant, the ancient Engine Shed and the "old" ambulance! :wub:

I even like the halfpipe - definitely an alternative for teens to computer, video games and TV! :thumbup: - It's really a shame that TLG doesn't release sets like this one today, too! :sadnew:

Do you still own some other sets which you haven't already included in your layout or are these all your City sets?

Will you fill the spare place with Lego plates or with (colored) carton and grit (like many people do at non-Lego train layouts)?

I can't wait to see your final layout!

Great work! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Awesome!!!

I'm loving the city thus far. The vestas looks gigantic! The half pipe is a nice touch. The elevation changes are a grand idea. I've thought of doing that as well, and maybe your city will serve as inspiration for the future of my city.

I also like the elevated train above the center of the road. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Good work! and i'm excited to see future developments. :classic:

Thanks everybody for all the comments! :sweet:

@ Klaus-Dieter: I will fill up every space with a baseplate. Plain wood is boring and unrealistic! :sadnew: I will make the water by turning a large wall of 1*8 blue bricks on its side, which is a technique I have never tried before but I always love. (don't know where I'm going to get all those blue bricks though...

Tomorrow (I hope, otherwise next week tuesday) I will recieve a parcel from LEGO with a few electric wires in it. I will then show you how I manage all the electric components of the town.

Please feel free to comment and if you would like to see more pics, just ask. :wink:

Dr. Brick

Very impressive indeed :thumbup: Just one suggestion, the dump shouldn't be that close to the train tracks.

I have one question where is this half pipe, I looked at all the pictures and couldn't find it :hmpf_bad:

You can just see it on the first, the second and the third picture. Look just left of the Green Grocer, in front of the Sky Scraper in progress.

Sorry for the delay on bringing you more pictures, the school year has started again and I'm very busy. i can tell you that the Market Street and the Grand Carousel have successfully been installed.

Dr. Brick

Edit: 300th post! :sweet:

Edited by Dr. Brick

Nice , specially playing with different elevations - that is quite hard to do with LEGO. I loved your valuable wide green road plates. Only thing that kind of was out of place for me was that Green Grocer - otherwise it would have had compact nice rural feeling. Do you have custom boards made for your town? Overall I like your town a lot and would like it to develop more in rural direction as you have a good start with green baseplates and some sets. I stay following your progress.

A very neat and well thought out display, which I am sure will look superb upon completion.

Where'd you get the sloped road piece?

I wondered the same thing when I first saw this in development, when I looked again tonite I realised that the Slope Road Plate is

30477px1.gif

from the 6600-2 Highway Constuction Set. This piece has been blended in with plates to meet the wider Standard Road Plates, an excellent idea.

I wondered the same thing when I first saw this in development, when I looked again tonite I realised that the Slope Road Plate is

30477px1.gif

from the 6600-2 Highway Constuction Set.

Correct! :wink:

Correct! :wink:

You manage to integrate that into the Standard Road Plate brilliantly, and create a very good solution to muti level roads.

You manage to integrate that into the Standard Road Plate brilliantly, and create a very good solution to muti level roads.

Thanks, but even though I'm proud of the technique it's not ideal, as it is unrealistically steep. But it is the easiest way of doing it, as I don't have enough pieces for building custom hills.

Dr. Brick