Sign in to follow this  
billli

Using lpub to (potentially) generate older instructions

Hello,

I am currently in the process of bricklinking the first three modular buildings. I bite the bullet and purchased all the parts. However I just can't justify dropping 600+ dollars for the instructions.

I know LEGO have these instructions online, however, they are terrible to read, and it would take forever to decipher every single step.

I am wondering:

- Is it feasible to render the instructions with lpub from the LDD models that are built by other users on this forum?

- The possible chance that someone already did the above? OR scanned the original instruction with a proper scanner?

Cheers

First of all, I've looked at Lego's instructions for the Market Street or the Cafe Corner and they don't look that bad to me (at least not as bad as the Technic instruction pdfs were at around 2010, those were horrible). What's exactly the problem?

But, regarding recreating the instructions in LPub, in theory it's possible. BUT, it would take quite a lot of work.

You can't just drop an LDraw file into LPub (LPub uses LDraw files not LDD files) and get some magical instructions out of it. You need to manually add all steps, submodels, layout etc.

It does actually sound like a fun challenge to me (I'd like to make instructions for MOCs in LPub every now and then), but on the other hand, it might be better to spend time on creating instructions for models (mocs) that don't have instructions at all :grin:

My main problem is just the colors, dark green/brown looks like black. It would be a challenge to create the instructions to the standards with what the printed booklet may have, but it would be nice if I can use a combination of 3D rendered models + lpub to get started

I built the first three modulars from the digital instructions that TLG provides on their site and I really can't remember I ran into difficulties with the colours. I wouldn't pay for them on bricklink and recreating them using Lpub is a monumental task. It just isn't worth the effort IMHO. Go with the digital ones.

Yeah, that's another idea, have the 3D model in LDD and then refer the color when in doubt.