Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Train 12 Volts

MOC: LEGO BR23

traintech1.jpg

Hi everyone,

I always loved BR23 steam locomotive of my father’s marklin collection.

br23-002.jpg

br23-001.jpg

Since I’m a great LEGO fan I’ve realized my version of the same locomotive with tender, caboose and two passengers wagons.

br23-003.jpg

I’ve utilized XL size wheels for the main body, medium size wheels (like that present in the 7750 set) for the rear gear and a normal size wheels for the front (all loco and tender wheels are maden by www.Big Ben Brick.com).

The rear and front gear are free to move up and down as well as to the left and to the right

br23-032.jpg

My BR 23 locomotive have two led lights on the front, and the wires pass through the the chassis make complex and more real the bottom details.

br23-008.jpg

The steam boiler use two sectors built in up-side way to improve the realisticy of the dome.

The tender shape is very simple and have in view the red spoked wheels for a sense of ancient times.

The traction is guarantee from the caboose (a RC 9 Volts locomotive in wagon’s clothing); inside there are two LEGO weight (from the 12 Volts system) to improve the grip.

At last but not least there are two passengers wagons in old syle to complete the train.

br23-022.jpg

See my link

Brickshelf Gallery

Great build.

It does look like he engine Reinhard "Ben" Beneke built a few years ago.

Nevertheless a really good looking engine.

This is a very nice creation, but was it built from instructions of Reinhard Ben Beneke's BR23 shared through Rail Bricks?

I'm not sure, maybe he used some ideas (for example maybe some boiler details) but I see some difference. The frontlights are different, the wheels as well and I think this is a six-wide loc (in general, there are some parts wider).

I'm not sure, maybe he used some ideas (for example maybe some boiler details) but I see some difference. The frontlights are different, the wheels as well and I think this is a six-wide loc (in general, there are some parts wider).

It's true!

Ben Beneke's BR23 inspired me but the building instructions for this locomotive are a my creation: the locomotive is 6 studs wide and also the tender and the wagons. The rear-gear mount a medium size wheel an the three main wheels have extra-large size. The PF led-lights are a news and the rear and front gear have different shape and a new joint system to the main body. The boiler is similar but the BR23 has the same shape for everyone :laugh:

This is a really nice adaptation of Ben Beneke his design. I like the XL wheels under this machine.

I am wondering how well the driving rods function, as they seem to hit each other at every rotation.

Does this add to friction or noise?

All in all a very nice adaptation of Ben his design with the BBB XL wheels.

Kind regards,

Teddy

This is a really nice adaptation of Ben Beneke his design. I like the XL wheels under this machine.

I am wondering how well the driving rods function, as they seem to hit each other at every rotation.

Does this add to friction or noise?

All in all a very nice adaptation of Ben his design with the BBB XL wheels.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hi Teddy,

nice to meet you! The sound of the locomotive running on the rail-truck is a mechanical noise (I love it ! :classic: ) the driving rods are very closed to the friction point and this is the reason why I have decided to use two "technic connectors toggle joint smoot" (part n. 44) in opposite side, instead of two standard "technic connectors" (Part n. 3651).

Best regards

Hi everyone,

I always loved BR23 steam locomotive of my father’s marklin collection.

br23-002.jpg

Ha that is near my home town (about 30 km or so). Nice looking train you build there! bit like the 7750 but also an emerald like touch. Tender is also quite nice!

Ha that is near my home town (about 30 km or so). Nice looking train you build there! bit like the 7750 but also an emerald like touch. Tender is also quite nice!

You're right! One of my best steam lego set is the old 7750, and since the production of the Emerald Night (and BBB's Wheels) I've tried to build a new black & red loco with working pistons ...but if you want to see the ultimate BR Loco look Teddy's latest creation: BR 01-1075!

Thanks for your comment

That's a very distinguished locomotive. It seems that the Emerald Night has a wee bit of competition. :wink: