Sign in to follow this  
Hive

Treasure Loot Island

After having saved them both for a special occation, I finally decided to open and build 6241 Loot Island (yes, I kept it unopened for this long) and 70411 Treasure Island this weekend. I like them both, but felt that both had features the other lacked. So I thought: why not make an amalgamation and combine the best features (in my opinion) from both? So that's what I did:

IMAG0064.jpg

My creation has retained the overall look of a LEGO set (at least that was the intention) and keeps the setup with 3 minifigs that both sets share, with me picking my favourites from both (and switching heads on the soldiers, just for the hell of it). Also, I added a monkey. Because that's the #1 thing both sets lacked! :monkey:

What do you think? Did I succeed with my "best of both worlds" or did I ruin them both? :pir_laugh2:

IMAG0066.jpg

Edited by Hive

You ruined them both! :pir-laugh::grin:

No, I think it looks great. :pir-wub: You have maintained recognizable aspects from both sets and it looks much more impressive in the end. Lego should take notice.

Great combo in your MOD. :thumbup:

I have both sets, and only treasure island is (semi)complete because I don't need its pieces (yet).

Also, I added a monkey. Because that's the #1 thing both sets lacked! :monkey:

Captain Braunsfeld would be proud. :pir-wub:

A nice idea to combine the 2 sets but the result is even better. What about adding 70409? You've been avoiding temptation during some 5 years!!! Not in vain. I've got the 1st set. Which is the oldest set in your pirates collection, I wonder?

A nice idea to combine the 2 sets but the result is even better.

Thanks!

What about adding 70409?

I haven't opened that one yet. pir_laugh2.gif

You've been avoiding temptation during some 5 years!!! Not in vain. I've got the 1st set. Which is the oldest set in your pirates collection, I wonder?

Yes, 5 years sounds about right. I got it in the aftermarket a few years after it was discontinued, for a very good price (a bit lower than retail price back when it was purchaseable). I managed to get most of the 2009 Pirates sets that way, though 6253 Shipwreck Hideout sadly eluded me.

In my current collection, I have no older Pirates sets than the 2009 ones. In my childhood collection, I have some of the small to medium original sets - with Lagoon Lockup being the crown jewel - but sadly, the condition of my childhood collection is... unimpressive, due to bitemarks and scratches.