Shadows

Fabuland Builders Guild - Discussion Thread

builders_guild_banner.gif

Welcome to the home of the Fabuland Builders Guild, henceforth referred to as the FBG (by me).

Here, we will discuss Fabuland creations, provide helpful tips and hints, present works in progress, and even take your questions and comments about the theme and the parts that it includes. If you're a fan, or would like to become one, this is the place to be.

To see the Index of the Fabuland Builders Guild, which contains MOCs, comics, decals, set reviews and other useful links, please visit The Index Thread.

builders_guild.gif

Inspiration, Information, Innovation

I have a question about Fabuland. Why is it so different from the regular Lego lines? Looking on Brickset i noticed it was around for 10 years and yet the theme was so different from all of the others. From the way the mini figs looked to their construction and the over all "feel" of the set was unique. So can any one enlighten me about this long lost Lego series?

Thanks so much for setting this index up. Really, really helpful.

Also, as part of the inspiration for the movement/revolution, I've taken the initiative to create a Flickr group, so we can have all the pictures in one spot. I just made it, so I'll be adding an avatar, or something. :wink:

What would be nice, though, is a small, square logo. (Aside from the tags, of course.) Maybe I can whip something up later?

Here is Flickr group for the photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/711902@N20/

Looks great Imperialshadows! :classic: I'll get you a bigger logo soon, although I doubt you would know what to do with it...

Any chance we'll get thumbnails for those MOC links? :sweet:

I realise that the Tugboat is more a city MOC that fits a walrus, but does my Shouse count?

2153712923_2f558d9515_m.jpg2153714505_c5a4a9d781_m.jpg2154506978_1c8f89692c_m.jpg

I realise that the Tugboat is more a city MOC that fits a walrus, but does my Shouse count?

2153712923_2f558d9515_m.jpg2153714505_c5a4a9d781_m.jpg2154506978_1c8f89692c_m.jpg

well, duh. It captures the Fabuland spirit, doesn't it? :tongue:

Special request for existing members who post new designs!

Please post your creations with the term Fabuland Builders Guild somewhere in the title or description for faster inclusion in the index, and just because it looks better.

Special note for non-members who post new designs!

As stated previously, MOCs, scenes, and vignettes that include Fabuland figures are not necessarily Fabuland creations. While it is nice to include some Fabuland characters in your work, especially some of the more well known personalities, that's more of a guest appearance and not really Fabuland itself.

The idea is to builld something that specifically reflects the Fabuland spirit and style or expands on the concept in a new and unexpected way, like the Fabuland Edge. Please see the index for excellent examples of what we're looking for.

Also, bear in mind that not every creation will qualify for inclusion in the index.

This isn't a competition, a popularity contest, or a quick ticket to a new tag. It's about love. Love of the Fabuland.

Share the love, enjoy the love, spread the love. Don't spoil the love.

Looks great Imperialshadows! :classic: I'll get you a bigger logo soon, although I doubt you would know what to do with it...

Go ask Alice. :tongue: (alternately, I was going to say that I know exactly where to put it and how, but that seemed to open too many new possibilities for the whole conversation to go wrong).

Any chance we'll get thumbnails for those MOC links? :sweet:

Why, yes, there is a chance!

Over in the business thread for this whole operation, the one where we were supposed to discuss, you know, the business type stuff, as opposed to the building type stuff, I mentioned that they are planned for a future installment, thusly:

I actually intend to thumbnail them as well, but that's all down the road. For now, I'll be working on the actual indexing.

I would have posted this there, but someone locked it, so I guess that was that. :wink:

I'm not sure about archiving entire creations over to brickshelf. Some of you *cough*Hinck*cough* go overboard on the pictures sometimes and I have a slow connection.

Well, I'm not sure that I'm the sole discretionary body when it comes to what qualifies, but it certainly does. :thumbup:

As I work my way back through the threads, I'll keep an eye out for it. If I remember the tugboat correctly, and it was the one that included you putting the moves on a lamb, it might qualify for honourable mention. :wink:

You and Alice have fun with that. :blush: Apologies to Alice as it's probably getting too crass...

Would you like a tag, madam secretary?

You and Alice have fun with that. :blush: Apologies to Alice as it's probably getting too crass...

Ah yes, that's more like it! :thumbup:

You know, she qualifies as a Saint for good reason. :devil:

Would you like a tag, madam secretary?

I would be honoured! Can it appear as my 4th, so it sits under the other three, allowing for it's immense size? :laugh:

Oh, and please ask Sinner to stop staring at my skirt. :blush:

Ah yes, that's more like it! :thumbup:

You know, she qualifies as a Saint for good reason. :devil:

I would be honoured! Can it appear as my 4th, so it sits under the other three, allowing for it's immense size? :laugh:

Oh, and please ask Sinner to stop staring at my skirt. :blush:

Er... I have to look into that. It may have to replace your space tag.

Er... I have to look into that. It may have to replace your space tag.

My first tag is empty, if they can be shifted (assuming that isn't some super secret special purpose tag location that you aren't even allowed to discuss, for fear of prosecution). I just thought it would look better having 3 across over 1 under.

My first tag is empty, if they can be shifted (assuming that isn't some super secret special purpose tag location that you aren't even allowed to discuss, for fear of prosecution). I just thought it would look better having 3 across over 1 under.

The first one is text only...

Great job so far, imperialshadows :thumbup: . Can't wait to see the thumbnails.

Maybe you should want to add this site (there's both in ITA and ENG versions) to the Fabuland Info Guide.

On a side note, I fear the Ancient Walrus - Sinner Special, being a mech, is not too suited for being part of this :look: ?

LuxorV

Sinner: Has the Shouse ever been given a proper thread of it's own? I can't find one, and that would be a shame.

On a similar subject: I'm 12 pages in and haven't found another qualifying Fabuland creation yet. I haven't even really found any non-qualifying ones, just unrelated things. Anyone who has created something that they think qualifies, please make a list and either pm me or post it here if you're scared of writing directly. :wink:

I am also going to take a cue from Copmike and LuxorV, who both suggested fine Fabuland information sites, and add an index of them as well. So, suggestions in that area are also welcome. None of those silly comic sites though, please. :hmpf::laugh:

Oh, just stop making that face, you know Brickzone.net will be included. :wink:

Oh, just stop making that face, you know Brickzone.net will be included. :wink:

*oh2* Oh my God. You can see me!... :look:

Is this index appropriate? :blush:

Since it tells a story in the Fabuland Spirit, absolutely!

The original line often featured stories, telling of the adventures and daily life of the residents of Fabuland, and this is sort of a modern equivalent of that, combined with a bit of real life.

The dividing line between Fabuland stories and simple stories will be tricky at times, but basically it needs to either be built as if it's occuring in Fabuland, or tell a story that strongly relates to the whole Fabuland experience.

This story was a poignant way of reminding us that we should learn to live in a world full of varied themes (yes, even Bionicle :wink:), colours (bley/grey) and races (fleshie/yellow).

To go further, your previous creation, while also a story in some ways, qualifies as a regular MOC because it depicts scenes that could easily be taking place in Fabuland, then combines that charming innocence with a head stuck on a mast. Fabuland Edge. :thumbup:

Complicated, isn't it? It'll become more obvious with time.

Either way, great job. :sweet:

I've never done any fabuland building. I may have to dig out my old parts and see what I can come up with... though I hardly have any. Mostly just figures.

Steve

I've never done any fabuland building. I may have to dig out my old parts and see what I can come up with... though I hardly have any. Mostly just figures.

Steve

You don't need many pieces, just the Fabuland spirit. :classic:

Oooh, can I be in the guild!...Wait I don't have any Fabuland elements.....and I don't build much....and guild's sound scary! Never mind then!

On a more serious note, I think this is a good index and ideal for seeing all the fabulous fabuland MOCS!

Some fabuland figures would help... And those snazzy roof and wall pieces.

Steve

Well said, Hinckley.

Take for instance my Crystal Skull Transport: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17038

The only Fabuland element is the blue seat, which can easily be replaced with this: http://peeron.com/inv/parts/30149

So you really only need a figure; no wall/roof elements required!

Also, my next Fabuland MOC will have more Clickit icons than actual Fabuland elements. :laugh: