kurigan

A Simple Fishing Sloop

[pid][/pid] 154C

Here is my latest complete MOC. This is my second fully complete ship MOC presented here. Having started over in the development of my method(s), this is the second in a three part series of experimental models. My intent is to test and prototype different elements of Lego ship modeling before applying them to current grand WIP.

IMG_1889.jpg

She may not look like much, particularly to the casual observer, but she represents a series of valuable lessons learned through her development. Her water line hull is very simple and similar to my last MOC, but her rigging was my focus. I wanted to build, on a small scale, a working rig on a Lego hull. Adder, before her, had all the necessary parts to operate as a sail driven vessel, but her paper lug sails couldn’t be furled or trimmed. This time around I was exploring gaff sails and wanted to use cloth so her sails could change state as to be included in other projects later on.

IMG_1916.jpg

I used tee shirt material for sail cloth and it presented some difficulties. The material was too elastic and yet delicate to hem over or stitch so I wound up “super” gluing the bolt rope around the edge. It stiffened the sails a bit, but they do still remain flexible enough to be furled.

IMG_1907.jpg

I also successfully ran proper shrouds using dead eyes. I did shrouds on ships before but they were inaccurate, anchoring incorrectly at the ends. With the 4624 dead eyes I was able to snug the shrouds up, taught and secure the sloop’s mast much like the real thing. I now have a model that will actually hold up in a wind and given it can break friction, could actually sail (at a later time I plan to make a video proving this theory.)

IMG_1906.jpg

Much of her cordage is held taught by pure friction. I pinched the lines between the bricks in the places where they would have been belayed, had the scale allowed for such detail.

IMG_1904.jpg

Portions of her rigging, like the bull’s eyes on the bow sprit and the spinnakers atop the mast, were too small to have been built from any official Lego piece and stay to scale. Instead, I constructed them from the same thread which her lines are made of by tying and binding them in to shape. They were then soaked in glue and allowed to dry stiff as to hold their shape. Other parts were made from wire ties, carefully clipped bent into shape.

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1911.jpgIMG_1936.jpg

The cutter was initially inspired be a contest I became aware of, all too late to enter. The challenge was to redesign the tiny ship that came as part of the imperial trading post #6277-1. I had most of the parts included in that original set handy, so I set to just for fun one night. When I hit some obstacles, gaps in my knowledge, I started looking for parts to experiment with. This hull was just sitting to the side of my ship yard, collecting dust, so I figured I’d make some use of her.

pirate_lego-0802xx-imtp_contest_voting-600x324.jpg

Her main sail lacks a boom, mostly because I just didn’t want to spare the parts for a side project, but also it just wouldn’t have worked well from what pieces I did have to offer. Though it's not a "traditional" rig for single masted vessels, you can see them commonly employed on the foremasts of schooners like Sultana, Pride and Amistad. Where space is limited, eliminating the boom opens the deck up and cuts down on head injuries, at least amongst the lubbers :pir-grin:.

IMG_1897.jpg

I also customized a mini-figure crew for her. Being such a small vessel, I didn’t see the need for any more, so I just made the two. At some point they’ll have to be re-done, as the colors on my printer were slightly off. I’m still quite happy with the results though. The hats are some of my paper/cardstock hats, like in my tutorial. The torso and face designs are printed on plane white paper with an inkjet printer and affixed with clear packing tape around the sides.

298ef3f8-4e57-4cde-a86f-f9779e980408.jpg?t=1376464873

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

I can see you have a good knowledge of how the rigging of such a ship should look like :thumbup:

The rigging looks very realistic, and I think it will look even better on a bigger ship.

Now it still looks a little bit 'overcrowded' with rope.

Perhaps you could also try different rope colours. It may be less realistic, but the ship could look more appealing.

The bolt ropes look great as well. And have you already tried folding the sails? If yes, do you have a picture? :pirate:

This IMTP contest is also a nice find. I didn't know of it's existence. Perhaps we could do more of those in the future..

Not really simple to me :)

I have to agree with Admiral Croissant for your rigging, but I still rather your work with bricks. As I said for Sebeus, the more difficult mocs are the smaller ones.. and you made a really good work!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have a vignette planned which will show case the furled sails, but no images yet. Once I had everything taught and set, it seemed a shame to undo it all. On future projects I'll be using brown thread for running rigging and black or the standing rigging as if it had been tarred against the weather. In this case, being a side project, I went all black as its cheapest and I had a great abundance of it. I also have a kind of "black and white" theme going on and thought it fit well. I do agree, though, the detail is hard to see in the images. as for that yellow and black boat; she's Adder, the previous stage in this series of experiments. Thanks for your interest, all.

As for the IMPT contest, its a great idea. i too would love to see more if its kind. With out the time to organize it my self, however, I'll have to hope on the ambitions of others.

Edited by kurigan