Hi all,

just tried the MOD "improved steering unit for 8466 Offroader" of Designer Han for the set 8466 Offroader - it can be found here (scroll down): http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/original%20modifications.htm

It includes

- a better attachment point for the front suspension - with the original attachment point the front suspension often doesn't come up after deflecting - this simple mod improves this ...

- a front stabilizer which ensures that these huge wheels stay 'parallel' when this model is pushed forward

Both improves the model a lot...i strongly recommend each builder of 8466 to give it a try... overall this MOD just needs ~ 10 parts - probably all of them are already somewhere in your household :wink:

best regards

The 8466 is my all time favourite of lego set, and indeed, it is a nice touch for this beauty :grin:

I have 2 of them, one for mods and one for display.

Greets,

Tibivi

The 8466 is my all time favourite of lego set, and indeed, it is a nice touch for this beauty :grin:

The 8466 polarizies, either you hate it or you love it ;-) For me it is a good "supercar" with a party very interesting building technique...and the nifty door mechanism is indeed very ingenious, especially the locking/opening-linkage...

I have 2 of them, one for mods and one for display.

me too.. one for display (and playing for my son), one for the Ninja Supercar of N.Kuipers which is assembled by the two sets 8466+8458

Totally agree with the recommended modifications, they improve the model's performance a lot. I suggest the new springs 95292c01 to hold the chassis up properly. I also like the ingenious door mechanism the best.

And in my opinion what really completes this set is the 5218 Pneumatic Pack. Unfortunately it is really expensive nowdays. I managed to find a MISB one not long ago, I had to purchase it as a collector and it gave compelling new functions to 8466.

Totally agree with the recommended modifications, they improve the model's performance a lot. I suggest the new springs 95292c01 to hold the chassis up properly.

yep, agreed - just tried it out with the extra hard springs of the Unimog 8110 - works perfectly - together with the better attachment point of the front suspension (see linked MOD of Designer Han in my first posting) now the suspension works nearly perfectly - IMHO with this simple MODs the suspension of the 8466 is the best of all supercars, not to stiff, not to soft - even better than the 8865 suspension, my previous reference suspension...

And in my opinion what really completes this set is the 5218 Pneumatic Pack. Unfortunately it is really expensive nowdays. I managed to find a MISB one not long ago, I had to purchase it as a collector and it gave compelling new functions to 8466.

OK, I know I'm 200 miles from my 8466at the mo, but despite my very vivid imagination, I'm stumped as to what you'd use the pneumatics pack for with this off-roader.

I also found that nice little modification once I realized how bad the steering was, after adding it on I was actually able to push it around :classic:

@Chilly You can use it for creating a nice service truck from 8466. It gives life to the back of this monster. :)

hmm, i know this sevice attachment from the instructions but have never built it because for me it does not match well the intention of an off-roader... but probably this is just my personal opinion...

First I thought the same but then I put it on the 8466 and changed my mind. I always thought that something is missing from the back (too empty) now I find it perfect but probably that is only my taste. More complicate and more packed - the more I like it.

First I thought the same but then I put it on the 8466 and changed my mind. I always thought that something is missing from the back (too empty) now I find it perfect but probably that is only my taste. More complicate and more packed - the more I like it.

in the meanwhile i'm convinced too - but i built it from my spare parts repository and competely in black (with a few gray parts) and not with these somehow odd blue-gray-black-purple-yellow colorscheme of the 5218 pack (e.g. purple parts, uhhh)... looks cool and works good - you were right, i adds really value to the 8466...i can recommend it too... here a picture:

img_0391_1.jpg

Edited by Kumbbl

OK, I know I'm 200 miles from my 8466at the mo, but despite my very vivid imagination, I'm stumped as to what you'd use the pneumatics pack for with this off-roader.

The 8466 was the first supercar modeled after an SUV .... Sport Utility Vehicle. I think in Europe those are called 4x4. Nonetheless, the pneumatics are to make it a 'Utilitarian' vehicle ...

Edited by DrJB

+1 on this, I own the 8466 and its cool. If I had the time (and the parts) I have an idea to build a super-car scaled UTE (Pickup Truck for those who aren't Australian) using the metallic green panels from this set (there was a cool color a while back on a certain General Motors car here in Australia called Hothouse Green and the metallic panels from the 8466 are somewhat similar in color)

I just scored this model from ebay! Can't wait to build it. Will deff do the mods to suspension. :D

But do not forget the steering stabilizer i mentioned in the first posting: it is essential!

But do not forget the steering stabilizer i mentioned in the first posting: it is essential!

I agree. I scored one a couple of weeks ago and it is vastly improved with these MODs.

I am doing a complete overhaul on my 8466 and I am refitting it with the newer parts like portal hubs and unimog ball joints along with Powerfunction servo and XL-motors. I have change the suspension from independent to solid axle. I Love this challenge because the 8466 is built evenly and those new parts are odd if you know what I mean. This is a picture of a gear that broke on me while climbing up a wall and forced me to resigned the whole axle. Now the model is combination between the 8466 and the 9398.

fracture.jpg

Edit:

01-wip.jpg

Edited by Boxerlego

This set is amazing. I wish I could find a good bargain on one of them :sceptic:

Edited by Rishab N

This set is amazing. I wish I could find a good bargain on one of them :sceptic:

Same here, it seems like a great set, how could it not be great with 4 power puller wheels? But the prices are ridiculous.

- a better attachment point for the front suspension - with the original attachment point the front suspension often doesn't come up after deflecting - this simple mod improves this ...

- a front stabilizer which ensures that these huge wheels stay 'parallel' when this model is pushed forward

When I was making my first solid axle design using the original steering parts from the 8466, I needed a front stabilizer. However, with this new steering design I have based around the 9398 has eliminated the need for the front stabilizer. I feel this issue has something to to with the steering rack design.

Edited by Boxerlego

This set combines the best of both worlds - studded and studless building. It looks a little bit awkward, but building the SUV is great fun, and I really like the features.