Sign in to follow this  
PsyKater

Steering wheel wrong direction?

I think I have seen it now a couple of times and I am really curious what phenomenon lies behind this.

When there is a model with "funtional steering wheel", I have seen it now severeal times that the steering wheel turns in the wrong direction. Let me give you an example:

mtrkustoms's Fiat 131 Abarth which was presented to Eurobricks this week.

Pay attention to 0:07 following, 0:12 in particular.

Either I have a big thinking mistake right now, or the wheels are turning in the other direction than the steering wheel does.

I have noticed this in other models as well and I wonder, what the matter is for this. Is there not enough space to build it in Technic properly? Or is it even optical illusion? Or is my mind mushy...? :wacko:

Edited by PsyKater

The answer is that the person who build the model(s) with a steering wheel like seen in you embedded video, is either a noob or doesn't know anything about vehicles.

If one wants the steering wheel to be going in the correct direction, one needs to attach the steering wheel directly to the steering mechanism (in most cases) or one needs to use an odd number of gears. Everytime you use a gear it changes direction. So ig you havew 2 gears, it goes from clockwise to anti clockwise, but if you have 3 gears it goes from clockwise to anti clockwise and back to clockwise.

So, conclusion; you're perfectly fine :tongue:

I hope this is a bit clear, as explaining is not my best part :grin:

Okay, so more or less it is an error in building construction. But perhaps it was not enough space to get a construction with an odd number of gears. (I like to think rather this was than thinking anyone else is "stupid").

I just wondered as I have seen it in several models now and nobody ever mentioned it. So I was unsure, if it was somethink, keen builders are aware of :grin:

Thanks for your explanations!

I know this phenomenon very good because few models of mine contains it too. Mostly it is caused by lack of gears or space...

Sometimes we build MOCs and make changes and modifications and forget to correct the change, it is normal. Also happens a lot with differentials.

You are right, the steering wheel goes in the wrong direction.

This is mostly depending on the mechanism that is used. With spur gears, the direction will always change. But if you use bevel gears to translate force "around the corner" it depends on the side where the follower gear is placed.

It seems the mechanism for turning the wheel is directly connected to the steering. Most likely he used 2 spur gears to position the steering wheel more on the side whereas he should have either used 3 gears or no additional spur gear. Either this, or some similar reason.

This seems to be the result of a someone building the functions around the model rather than buidling the model around the functions and then just being content with the results...

If you want to keep it simple with one gear and true to realism, you place the gear rack behind the hubs towards the center of the vehicle... If you place the gear rack on the other side closest to the front end, then you're going to have to add an extra gear to get the proper turning motion...

The person who made the vehicle in the video you posted seems to have skills enough to have remedied that problem, but probably for limitation purposes(and perhaps didn't want to tear apart what they have already created) chose not too..

To be honest, I think this is the only MOC that I think I've ever seen that did this... I am sure there are others, but I've never seen one....

This is an interesting design and more than likely could have been fixed easily...

Edited by Paul Boratko

The answer is that the person who build the model(s) with a steering wheel like seen in you embedded video, is either a noob or doesn't know anything about vehicles.

"thanks" for define me as noob or not knowledge person, but i think its better to do not say this type of things of people you do not know.

i know that it works in a wrong direction, and the way to solution is very simple just ad a gear to change the wheel direction, but i prefer to do not change to the correct direction, is only a sample to come back to technic.

I took the 8265 loader and built it into a log skidder. Problem has I reversed the direction of it,and built a whole new cab face the other end, but didnt do anything with the stearing. So now its backwards, I knew it was gonna be going into it, and didnt worry about it. I supose I could have reworked it a little and got it going right, but theres not much room there.

Dan

"thanks" for define me as noob or not knowledge person, but i think its better to do not say this type of things of people you do not know.

i know that it works in a wrong direction, and the way to solution is very simple just ad a gear to change the wheel direction, but i prefer to do not change to the correct direction, is only a sample to come back to technic.

I know the solution is very simple, but you chose not to do it for some insanely weird reason. It wouldn't take 5 minutes to add a gear and rearrange a few axles. There's a lot of space in that model.

I never said it was a bad looking model or anything, but when you put all that effort into building a cool car, then why not make the steering wheel work correctly while you're at it?

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

I think that in many cases it it just an overlooked mistake. Working steering wheel is expected by default, so nobody pays too much attention to it and focuses on the other features of the model.

And then is the time for the people who like to spot mistakes in the movies and spot such mistakes also in videos presenting models.

Like many have said in the past, don't post up something on the internet if you don't want it critiqued.

Criticism is well received, I will fix it with a little more visual and finishing improvements and upload a new video before dismantle it to build more models, all criticism is necessary, but the "key" is (maybe im wrong) people can say things by a good way or a not so good way, put tags on one person that dont know like "noob" "weird and insanely" etc.. i think is not very correct and polite.

Criticism is well received, I will fix it with a little more visual and finishing improvements and upload a new video before dismantle it to build more models, all criticism is necessary, but the "key" is (maybe im wrong) people can say things by a good way or a not so good way, put tags on one person that dont know like "noob" "weird and insanely" etc.. i think is not very correct and polite.

agreed, there's something called constructive criticism and theres another thing called insulting. calling someone a noob or with no knowledge doesn't help them become better...I think it's small mistake on a very good car :wink:

agreed, there's something called constructive criticism and theres another thing called insulting. calling someone a noob or with no knowledge doesn't help them become better...I think it's small mistake on a very good car :wink:

Totally agree. 3 years ago I had no idea about anything and even now I often make that fault, of course nobody ever referred to me that way though my questions and faults were obvious. I always prefer the constructive criticism because they make you be better, in the early Sheepo found many faults in all my MOCs, I appreciate it now and before.

I also prefer people, who are fair and write their true opinion while also being constructive. Writting just "this is bad" or "this is silly" is useless. I personally appreciate, when I get even a small advice. For me it means, that author of the advice is really interested in my work and thinks about it with me. Steering wheel in a wrong direction is really a small mistake - I did not even noticed it - just like those small mistakes in the movies I never notice unless somebody tells me.

He who makes no mistakes, makes nothing.

So keep up good work, even with small mistakes.

Edited by hrontos

Agreed. I hope you don't feel offended, that I picked up your model as an example. I found some of the reactions quite rude as well.

Agreed. I hope you don't feel offended, that I picked up your model as an example. I found some of the reactions quite rude as well.

Some? Weren't I the only one?

I agree what everyone is saying, I don't like only negative comments on my models either, but since this post was about the mechanics of a simple steering wheel I just generalized anyone who does this. Either do it right, or don't do it all.

I didn't want to insult the creator of the model (which I obviously did) but it's a bit late to say I'm sorry right?

Oh, wait this has been a great assist, I need to use it:

It's never to late to say "I'm sorry"!

:grin:

I think, communication between non-native-speakers leads to misunderstandings and misinterpretations as well. I often fear that I sound too rude to other's ears with my words, but cannot think of better words...

But let's move back on topic now, despite I don't know if there is something left to discuss. The "wrong steering wheel direction"-issue seems not to be a general technical problem but is rather associated with the builder's priorities or amount of parts.

:classic:peace :pir-wub:

Edited by PsyKater