blakeatron

Does every lego piece have a lego stamp on it?

As title just wondering if every lego piece has a lego mark on it?

I have just bought a large job lot of technic and i have found some megablock bricks in there, however also have a few unmarked bricks which look identical to lego but dont quite feel right!

I don't think so. I've found some unusual bricks that I'm sure are LEGO but on which I can't find a LEGO stamp. One that comes to mind was a 1x1x5 brick with a hollow stud... if it had LEGO stamped on it somewhere I couldn't find it. Yet I had identical parts in a LEGO set that I opened myself so I'm sure these were the same.

For normal bricks, LEGO should be stamped on the stud. For strange pieces, usually LEGO is on it, but as I mention above I'm not sure that it always is.

Unfortunately, no, not every piece will have the LEGO logo imprinted on it. This is pretty commonly absent in smaller pieces. This can make it pretty difficult to determine whether or not something is LEGO. Typically, these fall into 2 categories:

1) A piece you're not familiar with. This can be difficult, because you've never seen the piece in question before. Typically, the first step is in finding out if it's in the BrickLink database or not. If so, chances are good that it's LEGO. If you can't find it, you should probably post to a LEGO forum where other LEGO hobbyists can let you know if it's a valid LEGO piece. If nobody knows what it is, and you can't find it in the BL database, and it doesn't say LEGO? Chances are VERY good that it's a clone.

2) A piece you ARE familiar with, but aren't sure if it's actual LEGO or not. For instance, we found a 1x1 tile in *clear*. We couldn't find that color in the BL database or Peeron Database, and (unfortunately), 1x1 tiles don't say "LEGO" on them. Was it a special run of clear 1x1 tiles? Maybe-- the lot came from someone that once worked for LEGO. But it also had some other odd things in it that WEREN'T LEGO. So.... ?

This can be REALLY tough. Sometimes, LEGO will have *other* markings on their elements, like the Design ID or mold cavity number. Hence, if you find OTHER elements that match the same Design ID/cavity number, you probably have a LEGO part. And if there's nothing, and similar LEGO parts have nothing, there's no really good way to know. But at that point, if you've done your due diligence, and STILL can't tell, and no other AFOL can tell either-- you might as well just call it LEGO.

DaveE

I have a few pieces from my mums Lego from the 1960's that don't have.lego written on them

Id say about 60% of the types of brick have LEGO stamped on (I don't mean every brick of every type)

A lot of my parts dont have lego on, some have no markings at all but are lego.

Edited by SNIPE