Sign in to follow this  
xxlrocka

HF parts you want in Pick-A-Brick

Because this thread really needed this, I decided to do it! If you want a piece to be in Pick-A-Brick, you might as well share it! So come on, do it for the sake of MOCing!

Rules:

Okay, there are only 2 rules, and only one of them actually qualifies as a real rule. But you're more likely to see the other rule anyway. So might as well!

1. Only post parts which you can't already find in Pick-A-Brick. It would be pointless wanting parts that are already there.

2. Have fun posting! Where's the logic in Sharing=No Fun?

So come on, post! I know I'm gonna be suggesting.

New horses.

Well, they've put all the old horses in there ;)

Edit: whups, didn't see the HF. Oh well!

Edited by helloearthling

This is just nitpicking now, after I found out about the other option to buy this part, but purple scout drones.

I realized PaB isn't selling any exclusive pieces that came with the Super Heroes Ultrabuilds. I got all the six sets except Batman and Green Lantern, but I could always use more of the gold pieces from Iron Man (actually, they'd be really useful for a MOC I'm working on).

So, those definitely those. I hope they'll include the LoC large figures pieces, too.

Perhaps some parts that would only be available through PaB. Some recolors like a grey or gunmetal Hulk chestplate (hint hint) or perhaps black Breakout Blaster top and bottom parts.

I doubt they'd produce PaB exclusive recolours, but it looks like unprinted PaB exclusives are very much possible.

Surge's tr. neon green visor is exclusive to him, but it's printed so I hope they add an unprinted version next year. The LoC sets are including some cool recolours that are "ruined" by the printing details.

I doubt they'd produce PaB exclusive recolours, but it looks like unprinted PaB exclusives are very much possible.

Surge's tr. neon green visor is exclusive to him, but it's printed so I hope they add an unprinted version next year. The LoC sets are including some cool recolours that are "ruined" by the printing details.

Well, printing on LEGO pieces is typically not too difficult to remove. With that said, it is nice to be able to have an unprinted version of a piece without "defacing" it and taking away the ability to ever use it again with its original printing. On that note, as far as I can tell, the only printed parts in the Chima constraction sets seem to be the heads and chests, and none of the printed chest pieces are in colors exclusive to those sets (in fact, the only one not to already exist without printing is Eris's blue chest piece, since it only previously existed with a different print in the Batman set from the LEGO Super Heroes theme).

Pick-A-Brick exclusive recolors would really only be practical if TLG had some way of assuring that the piece got bought through Pick-A-Brick in quantities significant enough to justify its production (versus using the same molding machines, materials, and production facility floor space for parts that are actually going to be in sets). And I honestly don't think that's likely. It's more realistic to hope that recolors you want are created for release in sets and happen to show up on Pick-A-Brick as well.

BZPower ran a news story on the Pick-A-Brick updates, and some of the earliest comments were asking if there were any BIONICLE parts. That would be about the same issue: if the parts aren't already in production, there has to be a very strong incentive to put them into production, and frankly I doubt offering them in a service geared towards supplementing people's existing LEGO collections would guarantee the kind of sales needed to offset production costs.

Well, printing on LEGO pieces is typically not too difficult to remove. With that said, it is nice to be able to have an unprinted version of a piece without "defacing" it and taking away the ability to ever use it again with its original printing. On that note, as far as I can tell, the only printed parts in the Chima constraction sets seem to be the heads and chests, and none of the printed chest pieces are in colors exclusive to those sets (in fact, the only one not to already exist without printing is Eris's blue chest piece, since it only previously existed with a different print in the Batman set from the LEGO Super Heroes theme).

Pick-A-Brick exclusive recolors would really only be practical if TLG had some way of assuring that the piece got bought through Pick-A-Brick in quantities significant enough to justify its production (versus using the same molding machines, materials, and production facility floor space for parts that are actually going to be in sets). And I honestly don't think that's likely. It's more realistic to hope that recolors you want are created for release in sets and happen to show up on Pick-A-Brick as well.

BZPower ran a news story on the Pick-A-Brick updates, and some of the earliest comments were asking if there were any BIONICLE parts. That would be about the same issue: if the parts aren't already in production, there has to be a very strong incentive to put them into production, and frankly I doubt offering them in a service geared towards supplementing people's existing LEGO collections would guarantee the kind of sales needed to offset production costs.

I don't know if there are other methods, but taking away the printing ruins the piece to me. I want a smooth, clean surface.

Whoops, I thought Eris's and Razar's chest were tr. blue and dark lilac respectively, but now I see they're in pre-existing colours...oh well, no problem then. I hope Gorzan uses stickers however.

Indeed, PaB is supposed to be a support service so it works as you said.

They're selling unprinted Breakout torsos only in certain colours (gold, lime, blue and titanium metallic are still missing) - is the reason for this in any way related to what you explained?

I don't know if there are other methods, but taking away the printing ruins the piece to me. I want a smooth, clean surface.

Whoops, I thought Eris's and Razar's chest were tr. blue and dark lilac respectively, but now I see they're in pre-existing colours...oh well, no problem then. I hope Gorzan uses stickers however.

Indeed, PaB is supposed to be a support service so it works as you said.

They're selling unprinted Breakout torsos only in certain colours (gold, lime, blue and titanium metallic are still missing) - is the reason for this in any way related to what you explained?

I dunno; could just be what they have overstock in. Or, perhaps they wanted to keep their variety of parts lower for logistical reasons and for some reason decided white, bright yellow, and transparent blue would appeal to more people than the other colors. I don't have any uncanny knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes there, but I'm sure there's a reason.

:laugh: That's a good enough answer. It's just that you always seem to know a lot of stuff about inner workings people rarely know about.

I just want an unprinted titanium metallic Breakout torso (and a silver one, but that's another matter entirely). Hopefully we'll see it in the future- so that's one more part to add to my wishlist.

Well, printing on LEGO pieces is typically not too difficult to remove. With that said, it is nice to be able to have an unprinted version of a piece without "defacing" it and taking away the ability to ever use it again with its original printing.

Use Nail Varnish remover or White Spirits with Cotton Wool. It takes a while, and a lot of both resources are used, but it works a dream.

Hey, it gives you plain Trans-Green 5M shells, which are lovely.

6979165100_5db5ffd6ab_b.jpg

Edited by LewiMOC

I've noticed that LEGO parts where the prints have been removed always seem duller than their originals. Any idea if that's true?

I've noticed that LEGO parts where the prints have been removed always seem duller than their originals. Any idea if that's true?

Probably depends heavily on how they're removed. I think some of the more common ways of removing prints, such as the use of weak chemical solvents, should leave the color/surface finish of parts fairly unaffected. I've seen some people recommend removing prints using just a rubber eraser, but I imagine any type of removal that uses that kind of abrasion comes with a certain amount of risk. And of course stronger chemical solvents are a definite risk because it could affect the texture/surface finish of the plastic, and thus its appearance.

On the whole, though, it's not damaging the parts that I'm worried about; it just feels better to me to get a part that never had a print on it than to remove a print from a printed part, and thus essentially remove a printed part from circulation-- especially when the printed part is from one of my own sets that I might want to reassemble some time in the distant future.

Edited by Aanchir