Blakstone

Suggestions Needed for Reinvigorating a LUG (LEGO User Group)

I have been a member of the OKCAFOL Facebook group for a while now. There were a few meetings back in 2012 that I did not go to. Since then, though group has been dormant. I would like to jump start the activity and would like your suggestions.

We had talked about a meet and greet for tepidly but at this point I thnk I just need to schedule it so people can see if it fits their schedules.

I have my eyes on a library closest to The LEGO Store. I figure that I could invite people to bring up some of their MOCs as a conversation starter and we might bring a cake and refreshments.

Also how does everyone promote their LUGs?

A good way to possibly get users back in the swing of LUG meetups would be possibly to meet up at a LEGO Store and go shopping together and/or do a group build together. For example, offer a cool new set or a couple and meet up, build those as a group, and talk about the LUG in the process. Generally what loses peoples interest is when they get nothing out of LUG meetups, so building would give people a reason to attend and would be enjoyable. I don't know what the LUG's past meetups consisted of however so I don't know what's worked and what hasn't for OKCAFOL before.

There are also some possibilities to make an enjoyable meetup that don't completely consist of LEGO. I've seen cookout kind of meetups that get people together, in which you can have food and build LEGO in the same day, or just simply meet up at a LEGO convention.

There's still an OKC LUG? I thought the whole thing was dead, I don't use facebook and found nothing but dead links using google search.

A real website, even just one page would be helpful.

Scheduled monthly meetings would be helpful, put these on the website and make it consistent. People might not show up much at first but it should grow once it's known.

Basically just getting the word out and making sure the information can be found through search engines is a huge deal. Having a consistent meeting place and time/day are important so people can begin to plan showing up. Once meetings are happening, start doing small events like moc contests and parts draws.

I just booked a room at the local library for February 21 and I will look into getting a regular webpage created to help promote it as well.

I joined the forum when I found this topic on google search. I can't believe a LUG is re-surfacing!! AWESOME!

I went to the website and saw a couple familiar faces from the Lego store!

I think I will have to check you guys out.

Very cool, BluesArchitect. I keep this thread up to date with the latest meetings. The website has all the info though.