Sign in to follow this  
MstrOfPppts

[SoNE Ep. V] Inspection of the progress

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Being promoted to the Imperial Department of Military Research, my mission was to lead the construction of the shield generator on Endor. After finishing the landing pad and clearing the area for the generator, Lord Vader paid us a visit. I presented him our plans that were outlined by my new colleague Karin. He was satisfied with the progress, since for once we were on schedule. But he found some of our troopers showing to much compassion to the natives disturbing. I promised him to take care of that matter ...

SoNEepV_1.jpg

SoNEepV_2.jpg

SoNEepV_3.jpg

SoNEepV_4.jpg

Okay, creating studless foliage really is mission impossible ...

Beautiful build. The underside greebling and panels on the side of the landing pad are great as usual. The top is a little boring and I'm not crazy about the overall shape of the support column. I just don't think I've seen columns with that kind of varying diameters in real life or the movies. The epaulette, and maybe the cape, are also interesting. Seems a bit grandios for the Empire (despite Vader's get up). The dense foliage around the base seems perfect though. And I'm glad Vader is as concerned as I am about Ewok sympathizers.

Wow , so thats what you do when you don't intend to participate :wink: , the details above and below the platform are absolutely great! and look at you with your new and fancy outfit, I told you would rank up quickly, I think you are the first one to actually reach that rank, congratulations, and thank you for coming by this god forsaken planet and helping us seal the faith of the galaxy with its new and nearly operational death star (yeah sure).

And what exactly could you do about our merciful behaviour? you won't tell vader wud you?

Edited by Nom Carver

Yes, he really is the first player to reach 100 XP! Congratulations!

I like the uniform quite a lot, the cloak looks just fine to me. And that greebling on the pad support is really inspired.

Is this a smaller kind of landing pad? The only one I remember seeing in Episode VI had some gantries halfway between the ground and pad for boarding AT-AT's and the like, and were also much, much taller.

Glad to see that someone has been reading my reports on declining morale! :laugh:

Is that Black Widow up there with you?

Wow!

Really great MOC.

So many great details an the landingplattform part is stunning!

DOWN with the rebells :laugh:

markus

Wow, what a fantastic creation.

Your builds, especially your SoNE creations, are always great to look at and this one is no exception.

What I like about your MOCs is the amout of details you put in and of course your building technique to avoid showing some studs.

Another inspiring build, maybe I'll try to do a base similar like the ones you do in my next build.

Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

Wow, a silver tree! (Just realized there's no ewok smiley!)

Anyway, I love this, especially the greebles, and that speeder bike! As for the sympathetic troops, I'd whole heartedly agree with you. With your permission, I'd like to pursue this matter (in a freebuild :laugh: )

Nice looking moc! Sets the mood and scene real good, esp for everyone's (almost) preferred methods of dealing with the local population.

Love the greebles and the snot of black and yellow cheese slopes for the landing platform.

and gratz on the 100xp!

Edited by Pointblank

Thanks everyone, glad you all like it.

... The top is a little boring and I'm not crazy about the overall shape of the support column. I just don't think I've seen columns with that kind of varying diameters in real life or the movies. The epaulette, and maybe the cape, are also interesting. Seems a bit grandios for the Empire (despite Vader's get up) ...

I agree on the column part, though making a plain round one might make that part boring too. I really didn't know how to make the top flat part of the landing pad more interesting, so I icluded some more figs. I tried to avoid the more common aproach of using crates that would really look out of place there. As for the uniform, I've seen plenty of higher ranked imperials wear epaulette, admiral Thrawn being one of them ...

Wow , so thats what you do when you don't intend to participate

I never said I won't participate, just that I hope I'll find some time to, and I did.

Is this a smaller kind of landing pad? The only one I remember seeing in Episode VI had some gantries halfway between the ground and pad for boarding AT-AT's and the like, and were also much, much taller

Is that Black Widow up there with you?

Uhm well yes of course, it's a smaller pad that was not in the movies. They built it for Vader to be able to land and inspect the builds of the generator and the bigger landing pad ...

No, no Black Widow parts used in Karin, it's the newest Imperial crew outfit, with Arwen's head and Narcissa Malfoy's hair ...

And what exactly could you do about our merciful behaviour? you won't tell vader wud you?

Looks like things will get taken care of by more loyal troops:

With your permission, I'd like to pursue this matter (in a freebuild :laugh:)

Well I'm glad to hear that, please go ahead!

That's a pretty elegant platform. Like that clean look with the Snot-work. The combination of clean and greebled parts is well done. And I especially like the figures we could see in this pictures. Everytime cool to see Vader in a build and you new figure outfit fits perfectly into this.

I agree that the column doesn't seem practical, but it still look amazing all the same. Great job with the greebling and the story. Even when you are putting less effort into a build you still put us all to shame.

Wow, this is a revolutionary MOC. Not only is it bigger at the top, but it has to be the first creation where my favorite part is the underside! I'll appreciate it from bottom to top.

It already begins with the base. It's irregular, but not with the usual technique. But of course, because that one has studs! I really like that base, and it was a great idea to work with multiple layers there to give even more irregularity. The color variation is a strong point as well. I think this is the best solution for a clean yet natural base. It's amazing how you always seem to come up with the ideal solutions for seemingly trivial problems (another example would be the door in your previous entry), and that illustrates how good you are at this, and how much time you spend getting everything right. The foliage is a bit more conventional, but great nonetheless. You used a good mix of parts, and it's great that you included some height difference with that shrubbery which serves as a hiding place for our little furry friends (or annoying natives, as some would say). These kinds of details are easily overlooked, but that's only because they belong there, and it's amazing that you always think of those things. My only (kind of) problem with the foliage is that it seems to have been growing there undisturbed for ages. There are no signs whatsoever that that platform has just been built there. So maybe there could be a bare patch immedeately surrounding the base of the column, and heaps of ground around it. Maybe even some tracks of caterpillardrives or footprints of AT-STs or other equipment. The foliage could be more pushed over, or the color could be less saturated... there are plenty of opportunities to make that piece a bit more dirtier, showing forming a bigger contrast with the crisp platform, and indicating more that it has been freshly built. But still, it's an excellent base, and that speeder bike is a great touch. Again, it's unbelievable that you even went through the trouble of designing your own version. And a beautiful version it is! This really makes that base a gem on its own already!

I agree that the shape of the column is a bit weird (very reminiscent of something dwarvish though...), but it's refreshing. Maybe you could get the best of both worlds though. You could combine the delicious geometric angles with the sleek appearance of a column. The thing to do would be to straighten the edges (and only the edges) of the column. then you would have a sleek outline, but a lot of texture in between. It would also make sense from an architectural point of view: you have the supporting structure, and the functions are embedded in it. this would be a better and faster method then designing specialized parts that combine both functions. But what you did is great already, and could be perfect as those detailed, functional parts. Because I just love the placement of all the slopes, round pieces and grill bricks. It's very tasteful, but maybe not very Star Wars (yet?). And then we get to the beautiful underside of the platform itself... amazing. I can't get enough of watching all those details. There's a lot of variety with basically not so much parts. But the combinations in which they occur is different every time... I think this is what makes good greebling: working with a set of basic components, and still succeeding in making it very varied, so that you think those parts are totally different. And you have mastered that completely. A great thing is that there is quite some verticalness in there, so that the transition between the vertical column and the horizontal platform is a bit more smoothed out. It conveys a sense of gravity as well, when you place those antennas and tubes facing downward. The overal cross-shape of the greebles is noteworthy as well. It makes things more interesting on a more general level, and gives you more surfaces to play with. I will definetly remember that kind of detailing, because the multi-layeredness of it is just genious. Yes, I really think you're the king (or rather, supreme officer?) of clean but o so interesting details!

We come to the top, and - o my god, Lord Vader! I'm still loyal, sir, very loyal. Just... had a breakdown... ? I'm all better now! Few, that was close. Let me continue to compliment the greatness of our leader!

I like those plates you added on the side, as it makes it more interesting, again! Maybe it sticks out too much, and then loads of headlight bricks and a lot of trouble would be the solution... Maybe it's better to make the gaps between the tiles smaller. The seems of the tiles give detail already. Still, you need to make sure that it still looks intentionaly, and not like rapid decay. Maybe adding in a grill tile would convince us more to believe it has some kind of technical function. At the very top, the regular cheese slope pattern and the white markings again make for smooth detail. I can understand why you refrained of using random crates there. But there are other ways to fill the space. There could be a grill in the floor. Or there could be signaling lights (an ideal place for one would be on that square in the corner, because now it seems a bit like a sloppy solution for the meeting cheese slopes. Or there could be a little transport (although I see that would be a little bit unnecessary on such a tiny platform, but maybe for luggage?). Still, it would be very hard not to make it crowded, so maybe it was the best decision to leave this area very clean. Good work on the minifigs by the way, and i see you find a good solutions to make the guards hold there ... things (staffs?) the right way. Once again a clever detail!

So what is there left to say? This is another beautiful and stunning creation of yours, with a lot of attention to detail and the usual cleanness. If I will get to deal with such a skilled person if I ever do something wrong again... maybe I'll change my mind :grin: . Because I will be destroyed by such great skill. I'm already on the edge of loosing my mind and drooling all over my screen of appreciation. But keep it up nonetheless. I don't want to miss a brick of this!

..It's very tasteful, but maybe not very Star Wars (yet?)...

That's a good point. Who knows what the new movies will bring in the way of architecture and design to the SW universe?