Sign in to follow this  
Scouty

Mr. bo5132's Pirate ship

Where has Mr. Bo5132 been lately? He hasn't given us update on Port Royal yet.

Anyway, as for this MOC...

Its a very boney looking vessel and I wonder how the sail catches any wind as its made entirely from bones!

I'm guessing that the sail in fact catches the souls of men lost at sea, and that's what pushes it along. Or they row.

Nice. A ship with skeletons intergrated into the design, pretty clever and original.

We now have two new pirates with us named Bo who were found by their brickself mocs, an it's really confusing. :-)

Bo Dyrstadt (Santa Maria) and Bo5132 (Port Royal and skeletal ship) are differant people, right?

Bo Dyrstadt (Santa Maria) and Bo5132 (Port Royal and skeletal ship) are differant people, right?

Yes, they are.

Ahhhhh! I didn't realise Mr Dyrstadt 's first name was "Bo"! Is there any chance we could get Bo5132 in to answer our questions?

Anyway Boneparte, what do you think of this MOC?

Ahhhhh! I didn't realise Mr Dyrstadt 's first name was "Bo"! Is there any chance we could get Bo5132 in to answer our questions?

Anyway Boneparte, what do you think of this MOC?

From an artistic point of view this is a nice ship. It's original and funny.

But I like more realistic ship designs and with a real crew.

For the same reason I don't like POTC.

This is a very original ship indeed, The sails are stunning but I find that the rest of the ship should have been more realistic, less bones more "Ship"

Nice to make the acquaintance of the other Bo ... well I guess technically I'm the other Bo...? The others are right ... surprisingly, it is confusing. I noticed your ship earlier on brickshelf. I like it. It's interesting. I wouldn't have built it myself, but I appreciate the idea.

You're a member of Byggepladen I think?

What a brilliant idea. It's a very funny design. I like it.

Anyone who has counted the numbers skeletons?? Guess there pretty many.

There's more than a hundred I can say, i counted 60 on part of the boat so there's more then. I bet Mr Bo paid a pretty penny for these!

Very creative! If this was in a competition, and I would be a jury member, I would sure give you a 10 for creativity!

Its a very boney looking vessel and I wonder how the sail catches any wind as its made entirely from bones!

Ghost vessels don't need wind...I guess....like in POTC....

How fragile would those sails be though? Surely skeletons stacked in a ten pin bowling formation must be very flimsy and a hard enough bump would cause them to break appart.

One thing I have noticed though is the figurehead is a female min-figure. Does anyone know why Bo used this instead of a skeleton?

How fragile would those sails be though? Surely skeletons stacked in a ten pin bowling formation must be very flimsy and a hard enough bump would cause them to break appart.

One thing I have noticed though is the figurehead is a female min-figure. Does anyone know why Bo used this instead of a skeleton?

This figurehead looks a bit strange. It doesn't go well with the rest of the ship. You have an eye for detail Mr. Phes!

It should have been something more dramatic and with other colors.

Now that we are talking about figureheads, was their purpose only decorative of did it have a special meaning?

Which nation started using figureheads and where lies their origin?

My guess is that they are a symbolic protector of the ship.

You've got a good point Bonaparte, this mini-figure looks completely out of place with the ship's decore. The ship probably doesn't need a splash of colour since its comprised of mainly brown and white but I don't think a figurehead like this is the way to do that.

As for figureheads... Here's what our dear friend Wikipedia had to say:

As with the stern ornamentation, the purpose of the figurehead was often to indicate the name of the ship in a non-literate society (albeit in a sometimes very convoluted manner); and always, in the case of naval ships, to demonstrate the wealth and might of the owner. At the height of the Baroque period, some ships of the line boasted gigantic figureheads, weighing several tons and sometimes twinned on both sides of the bowsprit.

Rest of the article here

You've got a good point Bonaparte, this mini-figure looks completely out of place with the ship's decore. The ship probably doesn't need a splash of colour since its comprised of mainly brown and white but I don't think a figurehead like this is the way to do that.

As for figureheads... Here's what our dear friend Wikipedia had to say:

As with the stern ornamentation, the purpose of the figurehead was often to indicate the name of the ship in a non-literate society (albeit in a sometimes very convoluted manner); and always, in the case of naval ships, to demonstrate the wealth and might of the owner. At the height of the Baroque period, some ships of the line boasted gigantic figureheads, weighing several tons and sometimes twinned on both sides of the bowsprit.

Rest of the article here

The reason I'm thinking about a figurehead is because it have to come up with one for the frigate that I'm building.

This means I need to do some research in google/wiki to look for some good examples.

Not an easy job because I want something simple, beautiful and powerful. And the colors have to go with the rest of the ship :-).

Is there already a seperate thread on ships figureheads? Maybe I need to make one!

Yes, there's a thread for figureheads somewhere in this forum, I can't remember exactly what its called so you'll have to go searching it. I suppose if you just do a search for "figurehead" (or some variation) you'll come across it.

Yes, there's a thread for figureheads somewhere in this forum, I can't remember exactly what its called so you'll have to go searching it. I suppose if you just do a search for "figurehead" (or some variation) you'll come across it.

Is this the thread you are talking about Mr. Phes?