GRogall

LEGO 10226 Sopwith Camel

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Just got some news on.....

Lego 10226 Sopwith Camel

Price $99.99 €89.99

Lego S@H Walmart

The biplane that took on the Red Baron Manfred von Richthofen and his flying circus has been turned into an authentic model with moving parts that captures the Sopwith Camel’s classic looks.

Just like the real aeroplane, the joystick in the cockpit can move the ailerons and elevators using string rather than gears or levers.

“The string goes up over the wings and can operate the ailerons on both wings at the same time. It was a real challenge to work on,” says Jamie.

The powerful rotary engine that gave the Sopwith Camel its distinct look has also been recreated and features a rotating propeller and rotating engine cylinders.

The model has 883 bricks and includes rare dark green, dark tan and metallic silver elements. It measures over 15” (40cm) long and has a wingspan of over 19” (50 cm).

The scale was carefully chosen to take account of the size of the large, powerful engine that drove the plane and so that the string could function properly with ailerons.

“That allowed us to make a bigger wingspan more true to the original aircraft and a wider body that makes it easy to hold as you fly it around.”

The 10226 Sopwith Camel is on sale from June 1, 2012 via http://shop.lego.com/ or LEGO Brand Retail Stores.

“Getting to design it was a real treat,” says Jamie Berard, Lead Designer for LEGO Exclusives. “We made a Sopwith Camel in 2001, but that was more of a visual model, beautiful to look at but without any functionality.”

The legendary Sopwith Camel, the aircraft flown by WWI aces and one of the most recognisable British aircraft to take to the skies, has been recreated as a LEGO® Exclusive model in 2012.

Relive a classic era of aviation history with the Sopwith Camel biplane. This set lets you recreate a detailed replica of one of

the most recognizable British single-seat biplanes ever to have graced the skies. Features include a realistic rotating propeller

and engine cylinders, a hinged tail rudder, realistic tension wires, functioning wing ailerons and tail flaps that can be controlled from the cockpit.

LEGO Creator Sopwith Camel

• Detailed replica

• Rotating propeller and engine cylinders

• Hinged tail rudder

• Functioning wing ailerons

• Tail flaps can be controlled from cockpit

Brickshelf

HR Pictures Added! all pictures link to 2400 pxl. version

a_10226_box_front_800.jpg

b_10226_box_side_800.jpg

Warning this picture links to +5000.pxl. version

c_10226_detail_1_800.jpg

d_10226_detail_2_800.jpg

e_10226_detail_3_800.jpg

f_10226_detail_4_800.jpg

g_10226_detail_5_800.jpg

h_10226_detail_6_800.jpg

i_10226_detail_7_800.jpg

j_10226_detail_8_800.jpg

Instructions for the set!

Book 1

instructions.gif

Book 2

instructions.gif

HD Lego Designer Video with "Jamie Berard"

Filmed January 24th 2012!

And the Mini Version with "Belgian Buns" which will be given away with a $75 purchase from June 1st. to 30th.

m_10226_mini_version_800.jpg

It's definetly A better version then the old one!

3451-1.jpg?0

A must get!

Edited by GRogall
Indexed

:wub_drool:

I wonder if it's a reissue of the last one (shameless plug of my own review :blush: ) or whether they've redesigned it?

The original was a treasure trove of rare parts, not to mention being a beautiful set. :drool: However, it was (IIRC) about £40 in 2001, and I imagine this one would be £85 now given the US & Euro prices - too much for inflation alone methinks.

Plus ...

• Functioning wing ailerons

• Tail flaps can be controlled from cockpit

... these features weren't in the 2001 version. :excited:

What's the piece count?

According to BL its 883 pieces.

That emerald green is a sure winner for me and will be picking up this one for sure. I also see a new 6x6 tile piece in the green colour too!

Edited by kermit

:wub_drool: This looks amazing! I see they've solved the STickers-Across-Multiple-Pieces problem of the old one. :thumbup:

Thanks again, GRogall! :wub:

Grogall, a big thanks for the pics. Any news on a release date?

I wonder if the RAF symbols are stickers or printed. With how close they are to the edges of the tiles they're on they'd be difficult to stick correctly (for those of us that are not the most coordinated with sticker placement).

Grogall, a big thanks for the pics. Any news on a release date?

I wonder if the RAF symbols are stickers or printed. With how close they are to the edges of the tiles they're on they'd be difficult to stick correctly (for those of us that are not the most coordinated with sticker placement).

Not Official on the release date. But June is what I heard.

Also the motor cowling uses a new colour, Dark Silver!

Gawd! She is a beauty! :wub_drool: I am loving the redesign and the colour choice.

This is the Emerald Night of the aviation world.

That's just beautiful. I'll definitely be getting one, or two!

this is EPIC. love this set even though I've only known about it for about three minutes. :wub_drool:

Thanks for the new pictures ' GRogall ', might be worth buying. :grin:

Looks fantastic, much better than the last Camel. :wink:

Lovely version and a big improvement on the old model 3451. But I am getting a bit of remake / reboot feeling I already have with movies these days. Why not a new model of for example a Spitfire or another bi-plane.

Do we also get a new version of the 10024 (Red Baron)?

Chocks Away chaps! Flying Goggles on!

I desired the original, I will have this and build it wearing my flying hat and goggles.

Tally Ho!

Wow, what a neat set! I never bought the original, didn't interest me, but THIS, is just..amazing!

Thanks, grogall!

-Sci

I haven't heard about this set before and the news was a bit of surprise. I found the old set online a few months back, and was excited about it. Now, this one is even more detailed and the green colour is a fine touch. I'm not an expert on planes, but this one looks realistic and beatiful enough for me.

Well this is just a must-buy! :grin: Love the functions on it, now let's hope they release a new Fokker aswell! :laugh:

Cheers,

Gaetano

Very nice. But I'm not sure it's that much better then the old one to be honest, which I always found to be really good. Anyway, it's a very nice model that goes on the shopping list (along with all the rest :tongue:). BTW, do you know who designed it?

It's going to be interesting to see if they also will re-release also the old anthagoinst Fokker dr 1. If not, I'd more prefer an old WWII bird, like the Mustang or Spitfire. Or maybe the Messerschmitt ME, but maybe those would be concidered to much "war toys"?