PenPlays

Nintendo Discussion

I think (as well a some of you probably) would agree that it is high time for a full on discussion thread solely devoted to anything Nintendo.

Discussions can include (but aren't limited to) new software and console news, personal experiences and suggestions for games, etc.

Sharing 3DS friend codes is also a wonderful idea.

NOTE: Plenty of discussion on Super Smash Bros. has already gone underway here. Feel free to leave more intense Super Smash Bros. discussing there.

Edited by Penkid11

Personally I kind of hate the new 3DS...

First off, worst name ever. Is the packaging really going to say "new" Nintendo 3DS? And what if they make another 3DS? it will be old but still stuck with the "new" title because that's the name of the system.

Second, I really don't like the idea of the Game Card (are they still called that?) at the bottom. That will pop out way too easy. The stylus too.

Third, I don't want to buy a new handheld! :angry:

There are some things I like. The new little Circle Pad is cool, and I'm kinda digging the colored buttons. But overall, not impressed.

Nintendo sucks at names these days. Horrible name.

The second analogue I'm HAPPY with. The placement of it... what? I can't say if it'll work or not but it's in a really freakin' odd area. I wish it was down below the face buttons (and left).

The Z buttons I am also HAPPY with. The placement again though... sucks... Side by side trigger buttons are terrible. Why not over each other? Well probably because the 3DS is quite slim...

As for Smash Bros... YES! OH GOD, I WANT IT NOW! WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT NOW!? WHY!?!?!?!?

Xenoblade... Mild interest.

Bravely Second... I kind of liked the first but I moved to the UK while I was in the middle of it and just kind of stopped playing because I was too busy.

Final Fantasy Explores... Idunno. Haven't really liked a FF game since FFIX. Haven't loved one since like VII (though my favorite is IV).

Here's some bits of news.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS will be available for download on the eShop at midnight on October 3rd. Whether game stores will be having midnight events depends on the area you are in, and the game store's decision on the matter

Nearly all Amiibo are in the top 20 electronic devices on Amazon. Despite this, Wii-Fit Trainer, Marth, and Villager are all unavailable for pre-order currently. I've already pre-ordered Kirby, Mario and Yoshi (originally my brother and I had decided on Villager, but that fell through for the time being).

Check out this very nice collection of Games of Past, Present, and Future Wii U Games:

As a massive Dragon Quest fan, I've been feeling rather kicked to the curb by Nintendo as of late... First we miss out on DQ Monsters 3DS 'Terrys Wonderland' localisation, and now it's almost a guarantee that we're going to get shafted and miss out on localisation of DQ 7.

And with the shutting down of the DS wi-fi servers in May, there's no more chance at fully re-playing DQ IX due to the loss of a bunch of download only exclusives

*sigh*

Currently I'm replaying DQ V and I've started my initial run-through of DQ VI!

Still, as good as the Zenithian trilogy has been thus far, my all time favourite Dragon Quest game is DQ III! (though IX is a very close second due to all the extra content and the addition of the Legacy Bosses!)

Nintendo needs to stop releasing incremental updates to low end systems and just put some real money into R&D. They are falling way behind the others now and are on the verge of following in the footsteps of Sega.

Nintendo has no chance of following Sega. They have enough $$$ to last like 50 years at their current rate, literally. They've got over 10 BILLION in the bank. They're not a company that uses the "spend money to make money" strategy and just bank a lot. This probably limits their money making abilities a bit but they've done it so well they're basically bankrupt proof for decades. They can just keep trying until something works.

Another difference is though they aren't profitable right now they're usually very profitable on average (hence their billions :P). They've been more successful making money at video games than both Sony and Microsoft. Heck, even their BAD consoles have almost universally made them more money (I think just the Virtual Boy was a financial failure while other failures like the Game Boy Micro still made a bit). They do this by selling their consoles for a profit and stuff. Their 1st party games still sell like crazy. Basically except for the kind of rare bad year they make tons of $$$ (the bad year being caused by the Wii U which will probably clear up as Smash Bros and stuff come out).

There is absolute zero chance of them dying or going multi-platform. They're not even close to being in actual trouble.

As for Dragon Quest, why be mad at Nintendo for that? Nintendo doesn't own Dragon Quest. Level-5 probably didn't care to localize them due to poor sales in the US of the franchise.

I think Nintendo's doing fine right now. They pulled their pistols out a little late but the new Mario Kart has definitely increased their sales. Don't get me wrong, there's still a large dip but Nintendo kicks megablocks in the portable device world. I think they're finally playing it smart with the new Mario Kart DLC and releasing Smash Bros on the 3DS. They conquered the 2014 E3, revealing more footage for games like Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and revealing sneak peeks for Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, and of course, the new Zelda game.

I can't say how I'm excited I am for the new Legend of Zelda game. The teaser looked amazing! As far as the new character reveal for Smash Bros, I couldn't care less. I've never played the Xenoblade games so I don't know anything about Shulk but to each his own. I would love to see Knuckles the Echidna join the battle but with the leaked photos we've gotten, if they're real, it looks like he won't be in this one. :(

Apparently Shigeru Miyamoto's prototypes and Splatoon are part of a new development center consisting of young Nintendo developers. They're somewhat of an idea group led by Miyamoto himself.

You can read more about Nintendo Garage here.

Most of those ideas won't have wide appeal. Miyamoto has made some of the best stuff out there and his games are my favorite but I'm doubting his style will work for modern audiences. His recent comments about leaving passive gamers and going back to hardcore gamers are not reflected in his current game design philosophy as they're all very casual.

Most of those ideas won't have wide appeal. Miyamoto has made some of the best stuff out there and his games are my favorite but I'm doubting his style will work for modern audiences. His recent comments about leaving passive gamers and going back to hardcore gamers are not reflected in his current game design philosophy as they're all very casual.

I think he meant that concept for future games. I agree that we haven't seen it yet but we'll see it in the new Zelda game and of course, Smash Bros. DLC is also popular with hardcore gamers and that is being incorporated into Mario Kart and eventually Smash Bros.

Just to say. Smash Bros does not have any confirmed DLC. Amiibo is currently all that we have that can be regarded as "extra content."

There was a

yesterday.

I'm loving how buying Bayonetta 2 off the eShop costs only a penny less... That's some sale, if I do say so myself. :sarcasm_smug:

Edited by Penkid11

For the first time in my life I've actually won a contest! :laugh:

I opened my email yesterday and I got an email saying I had won the entire Season 1 of Meat or Die for free! Yay! :thumbup:

I'm not saying some Nintendo games don't have hardcore appeal. Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario Kart, etc are well loved. It's just the likes of those new games like Splatooon or whatever won't get that core audience at all. It'll just get fans that already like Nintendo.

bxbqf1timaaa0ep.jpg

There isn't a specific time given at the moment.

There will also be a Japanese Super Smash Bros. for 3DS stream on Niconico that day as well.

Edited by Penkid11

Well, there's a demo for Club Nintendo Platinum members. I'm bummed I didn't get the code, despite being one. :sad:

Well, there's a demo for Club Nintendo Platinum members. I'm bummed I didn't get the code, despite being one. :sad:

I managed to get one! :D But it seems that it's exactly the same as the one coming next week, just with infinite plays as opposed to 30.

This Club Nintendo thing is annoying. I really want that Demo but feel cheated. I've been a Platinum d00d forever except this latest year (which started in like July?) due to me moving countries. XP

The Smash Bros roster on the other hand is okay. Really like the Duck Hunt d00d. I wish there were a few more like everything though.

Edited by BrickG

Even then, the demo seems to be pretty exclusive at this point.

My younger brother just so happened to grab a code that was randomly given out by some guy. He's been playing it ever since. I'm a little jealous, but I'm not going to complain (it comes out on the 19th for everyone else. I can be patient :tongue: ).

There also have been signs that, even now, Nintendo is still sending e-mails. Maybe there's still a chance for me. :grin:

Even then, the demo seems to be pretty exclusive at this point.

My younger brother just so happened to grab a code that was randomly given out by some guy. He's been playing it ever since. I'm a little jealous, but I'm not going to complain (it comes out on the 19th for everyone else. I can be patient :tongue: ).

There also have been signs that, even now, Nintendo is still sending e-mails. Maybe there's still a chance for me. :grin:

If you check the #smashbros on twitter, and keep an eye on subreddits like /r/3DS and /r/SmashBros I'm sure you could find a code, people are giving loads away.

Well, I did get the email at like 6:27 PM yesterday. Been playing it A LOT the passed two days. :grin:

Good stuff. I miss the c-stick, but I'll get used to it. My main in the demo is Link. :classic:

Here's a round up of some news that may be of interest:

-The Super Smash Bros. 3DS demo will be live for all 3DS owners on Friday

-Hyrule Warriors will be receiving an excellent amount of DLC in the next five months alone! Some basic info can be found here*

-Some of developer Next Level Games' concept work for several scrapped Nintendo games have surfaced, including a 3DS Metroid title**, and a three-quel/new entry to the Mario Striker's Series that focuses around Volleyball, fittingly called "Mario Spikers"

-Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U) has been bumped up to November 11th, and will now release alongside it's 3DS counterpart, Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

*The US will be getting a "Season Pass" much like Mario Kart 8.

**Despite the article saying the scrapped game was a rumor, it was later confirmed to have been in development with an official comment. You can view it here.

Someone should start a thread based around the two Ninjago games, listing and picturing all characters/devices that don't appear in the TV show...

Also, pictures of the rendered pictures of the builds in-game would be wonderful. The only one out there is of the mine build...

Someone should start a thread based around the two Ninjago games, listing and picturing all characters/devices that don't appear in the TV show...

All you had to do was search for it. "Nindroids" is discussed here. The Ninjago Battles thread is nearly four years old. Posting in a topic that old now is usually frowned upon.

Also, pictures of the rendered pictures of the builds in-game would be wonderful. The only one out there is of the mine build...

Someone would need to be very dedicated to do that. They would require capture cards as well, as both the DS & 3DS aren't screenshot->internet friendly. Also, very few of us here play those games in general, and usually those of us who do, play during off times. None of us have the resources for every single build, so the likelihood of getting all of those renders is very minimal.

I suppose that's a better request on a forum that focuses on info like that, or maybe you could do it yourself! :thumbup:

Edited by Penkid11