pirates-indexed.gif 168A

Hi, I’d like to present my latest MOC – HMS Hispaniola – based on the ship from Robert Louis Stevenson’s greatest book „ Treasure Island” of course. The ship itself is a improved version of my previous ship – HMS Enterprize. I change colour scheme, stern and rigging - but still it is the weakest part of the ship. I also change the sails - they are the same but I taped it by rope, so they are rigid, look very good and doesn't shred. I also change a bit the masts and spars. I based the appearance of the ship from the "Treasure Island" movie with Charlton Heston as a Long John Silver and Christian Bale as Jim Hawkings (from 1990) but my ship isn't a true copy of the ship from the movie ( in the movie it was used the replica of HMS Bounty built in 1960 specially to the “Mutiny on the Bounty” movie from 1962 with Marlon Brando). Btw. I think this movie is a best screening of Robert Louis Stevenson's book and one of the best movies about pirates with great soundtrack also. So let’s sing that old pirate song: "Fifteen men on the dead man's chest—Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!" and see the pictures :pir-classic:

01b.jpg_thumb.jpg obraz_027.jpg_thumb.jpg obraz_043.jpg_thumb.jpg obraz_053.jpg_thumb.jpg

The main characters ( I purposely use from Long John Silver Redbeard's head and hat, because I don't know how to build minifigure similar to Long John Silver from movie)

crew1.jpg_thumb.jpgcrew2.jpg_thumb.jpgcrew3.jpg_thumb.jpg

short story:

story1.jpg_thumb.jpgstory2.jpg_thumb.jpg

and few screenshots of " Hispaniola" from the movie " Treasure Island"

130.jpg_thumb.jpg

folder with all pics - http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=548938 - avilable when public

What an outstanding ship you built! I love in from stern to stem. The blue is quite striking as is the cleanness of your rigging. The fact that she lacks gunports really sets her apart from most. Brick on!

I can only agree with Mr. Townsend, truely outstanding vessel! And your crew is very well done as well!

Will you add more Treasure Island MOCs?

Keep it up!

It's a very well built ship. One thing though is that the ship in the book was a two masted topsail schooner and not a 3 masted full rigged ship. But other than that you have built a nice moc.

Awesome! Treasure Island is my favorite book of all time. And the 1990 version is my favorite movie of all time! Very well done! pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by jodawill

Here-here! Bumpers boys and no heel taps for Hispaniola! A lovely bark and a fine recreation of her cinematic inspiration. A wonderful addition to our index she'll surly make. Success, fair winds and following seas may they be her constant companions.

This truly is a great build. Certainly there are areas where further refinement wouldn't go amiss, but no where I'd suggest it'd be necessary. In profile she is the spitting image of Bounty/Hispaniola. Her lack of gun ports is indeed rare in these parts and a refreshing take. Though the understated gallery astern may seem simplistic I find it compliments the build perfectly. I might suggest that some more photos of her finer points and detail could only further her acclaim. Thank you for sharing her with us! 

P.S. I'm a fan of "Treasure Island" myself, but have yet to see this rendition. Clearly I must remedy this as soon as possible. Have you seen the recent adaptation available on Netflix starring Eddie Izzard as Silver? It's really quite entertaining and Izzard's portrayal of that infamous pirate is fascinating.

Very beautiful - well done!

Fantastic job on the rigging. And a monkey is included! pirate_satisfied.gif

The diligent work also covers the crew. The guys look great (well, maybe John Silver looks a bit too friendly, which is probably ok according to the first half of the book).

Don't worry that it's a Schooner. It is still a very fine ship.

Will you add more Treasure Island MOCs?

I'dont know, time will tell :pir-classic:

Have you seen the recent adaptation available on Netflix starring Eddie Izzard as Silver?

Unfortunately, I have seen and in my opinion it is a very weak movie, completely different from the book

One thing though is that the ship in the book was a two masted topsail schooner

I know that but I based my model on the ship from " Treasure Island" movie and there was a Bounty replica as Hispaniola :pir_laugh2:

Thanks for all comments :pir-classic:

Excellent work on a classic ship!!![bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Oh, I'm very proud that my MOC is on the home page of classic pirates, thanks! :pir-classic:

She's a beauty, I like the gentle curve on the stern, good work on the rigging as well, I like the addition of staysails.

Great job on this one!

Wow the rigging is really well done - and over all, this is one of the most impressive ship models that I've seen so far. Very beautiful pirate_satisfied.gif