REVIEW: 7637 Farm

78 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (90 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Lego didn't hit the broad side of a barn (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

2. 2 - Bad year for the crops (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 3 - Average Acre (18 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. 4 - Forget Disneyland, I'm going to Green Acres (36 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

5. 5 - Farm-fastic! (29 votes [32.22%])

Percentage of vote: 32.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for that fine and interesting review, TheBrickster!  :thumbup:
A great new theme and a very neat and playable set indeed, simply lovely!
I really hope that we´ll see a sweet little farm house with a nice wheatfield
in another wave of sets...  :wub:

#52 MatthewUSA

MatthewUSA

Member: 1446

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:28 AM

Thank you Brickster for the previews.  I would say this set looks very COOL!!  I look forward to the rest of your review as well.  I did cringe when I saw the price.  I am confused why the prices are so much more this year for less parts.  I figured TLC would find other ways to cut back costs instead of raising prices to compensate.  Thank you again for the pics.  They look great.

Model On!!

#53 Spidubic

Spidubic

Member: 3312

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

View Postsvelte_corps, on Feb 5 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

Sorry Erds - it's up now and its $USD89.99.

Soon as I saw that I headed to S&H and sure enough there they were. So I just had to grab one of each! :)

#54 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:46 AM

All: You're very welcome.  I really enjoyed sharing the review.  It's also great to read your thoughts and opinions of this set.  I think if you don't consider the price, you'll have more appreciation for the set.  

View PostZorbas, on Feb 5 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

I got the official greek Lego catalogue a week ago and I have noticed something. In the pages where the Farm theme is displayed, there is -as usual- a display of all the sets combined together. I was  :cry_happy: when i saw two minifigs with the classic era face pattern.
Has anybody seen this in their country's catalogues? (Sorry if this was off-topic but I was in a nostalgic mood. :blush: )
That reminds me (I'm glad you mentioned this):  I almost forgot to share this great little scene pictured in the large instruction booklet.  I love when Lego takes time to build/display scenes like this.  They remind me of the old classic Lego catalogues:

Posted Image

#55 Erdbeereis

Erdbeereis

• Not short in real life

Member: 2630

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:24 AM

View Postsvelte_corps, on Feb 5 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

Sorry Erds - it's up now and its $USD89.99.
I'll survive. :grin:

I'm looking forward to picking up this set along with all of the other farm ones. It looks like they work beautifully together.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#56 M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun

Member: 379

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Funny, i was driving in downtown Spokane and I saw a tractor with dual rear whels and a front end loader (used to remove snow, I'm guessing). Made me smile and think of this set.  While most of you have voiced desires for a farmhouse, my wish is for more farm accessories for the tractor. A hay baler , a disc, and a plow would be nice in addition to the aforementioned manure spreader. :) The last link shows some good clear pics of a 3 point hitch, and the PTO shaft. If you scroll down, there's a tractor with 3 wheels mounted on each side.  That said, I'd love an 8 wheeled  heavy duty farm tractor with split middle steering, similar to the front end loader set, but with attachments for farm equipment, maybe in green (a nice wink to John Deere). http://www.harvestsa...ere_Tractor.JPG

http://jddealer.deer...undBaler449.jpg
http://infinitymfg.c...isc_harrows.jpg

http://images.google...t...en&safe=off

http://images.google...htt...=off&sa=G
http://images.google...t...en&safe=off

Edited by M'Kyuun, 06 February 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#57 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

View PostM'Kyuun, on Feb 6 2009, 01:02 AM, said:

While most of you have voiced desires for a farmhouse, my wish is for more farm accessories for the tractor. A hay baler , a disc, and a plow would be nice in addition to the aforementioned manure spreader. :)
Yes:  While I like the idea of a farm house, I had mentioned a plow above.  Some additional accessoriess, llike the ones you mentioned), would be an interesting addition.  I suppose we need to get busy and create some MOCs for the tractor to pull.

On a side note, that would make a fun contest (Create Something a Tractor Could Pull Contest) - it could just about be anything, and one wouldn't even need a tractor.

#58 Spidubic

Spidubic

Member: 3312

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

View PostM'Kyuun, on Feb 6 2009, 05:02 AM, said:

That said, I'd love an 8 wheeled  heavy duty farm tractor with split middle steering

I just finished building that exact same thing. Needed something to do while I wait for the farm sets to be released. Still has some tweaking to do, more lights, cab rework. Other than that it is all set to mesh in with the new farm sets.

#59 Zorbas

Zorbas

• Tough on stains!

Member: 4609

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on Feb 6 2009, 05:46 AM, said:

That reminds me (I'm glad you mentioned this):  I almost forgot to share this great little scene pictured in the large instruction booklet.  
Posted Image

That's the picture I was talking about! The minifigs I was refering to, are the one in the barn in front of the window/opening above the tractor and the other one sitting on a bench under the umbrella on the left upper side of the picture. Thanks for sharing TheBrickster!

View PostTheBrickster, on Feb 6 2009, 05:46 AM, said:

I love when Lego takes time to build/display scenes like this.  They remind me of the old classic Lego catalogues.

:thumbup:  :cry_happy:  :blush:
Posted Image
"Bricks and stones, timber and tiles - are of no use when dumped at random..."
Xenophon - "Memoirs of Socrates"
Brickshelf

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

by Jebediahs

Posted Image

#60 Alywin

Alywin

• Responsible & Resourceful

Member: 3548

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the review, which is very great!  :thumbup:

If you decide to take this farm, probably you could forget about 7634.  

The other thing is, I really wish TLG had thrown in this:

Posted Image

Can you imagine the farmers doing some real farming without this???

Edited by Alywin, 06 February 2009 - 06:46 PM.

Alywin - a Hong Kong AFOL
Our Hong Kong forum: http://www.minifigs.net/forum/

#61 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:50 AM

View PostAlywin, on Feb 6 2009, 10:44 AM, said:

The other thing is, I really wish TLG had thrown in this:
Posted Image
Can you imagine the farmers doing some real farming without this???
Definately a missing part in this set.  Does the new Medieval Market have one?  I need to look.  Perhaps we'll see it resurface in a future Farm set.

#62 Skipper 24

Skipper 24

• I live in Engalnd

Member: 1851

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the great review. I always wished when I was younger that LEGO would make a farm theme. Now I may have to get this set. I probably like the little yellow vehicle and the stable the best.
Posted Image <-- Thanks Hound Knight
Flickr Brickshelf

#63 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

• god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

For me, this is the most dissapointing set this year. I mean, the slope bricks below the roof, they would once have been 10 pieces instead of 1 big piece. I find there are far too many large, non-reusable pieces in this set for its price. So this is a LEGO set that I will NOT be purchasing. Although those cows and I may have a bricklink date...

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#64 Col. Brik

Col. Brik

Member: 4374

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Excellent review.

This is on my list of "must buys" this year. Other mentioned some good ideas that should have gone into the set but the playability the set does bring will justify the price. At least for me.

Great job getting the detail picutres in there. The tractor and lawn mower look very well designed.

A few more figs, maybe a child or two, would have been nice but I guess we can't have everything  :classic:

#65 Derek

Derek

• Sith no more

Member: 2075

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Nice review. But can anyone tell me what those pieces used at the end of the roof pieces/gutters are? They look like the common 1-wide with the "T" end, but longer.  :sceptic:

View PostIgnited_Impulse, on 20 September 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D
My Flickr Account

#66 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

View PostSkipper 24, on Feb 8 2009, 05:15 AM, said:

I always wished when I was younger that LEGO would make a farm theme.
I probably like the little yellow vehicle and the stable the best.
Farm would have made a great classic theme, but it's never to late to enjoy the theme.  
In regard to the lawn mower, it's just OK for me.  But I love the stables.  

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Feb 8 2009, 05:40 AM, said:

For me, this is the most dissapointing set this year.
Ouch!  I'm pretty critical myself, being a classic town fan, but I think this set is a great set - otherwise, I wouldn't have spend $90 (USD) on it.  I actually like it a lot and think it's well done, even with a few large pieces.  The large red roof pieces will serve as good parts for future MOCs.  The only really large piece(s), aside from these, are the round silo pieces (and I like the new color), and the tan silo/crane pieces.  These have been used for crane pieces for a long time.

View PostCol. Brik, on Feb 8 2009, 08:23 AM, said:

A few more figs, maybe a child or two, would have been nice but I guess we can't have everything  :classic:
Children are missing.  I agree with you here.  

View Postdarthperson, on Feb 8 2009, 09:08 AM, said:

But can anyone tell me what those pieces used at the end of the roof pieces/gutters are? They look like the common 1-wide with the "T" end, but longer.  :sceptic:
Not exactly.  I think they are intended to serve as gutters, but these particular pieces are longer.  Also pictured are the bottom tips for the silo (that Brickmaster had asked to show):

Posted Image

#67 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Well, I'm late, but better that than never I guess. Thanks for the wonderful reivew, Brickster.  :thumbup:

Well, considering that this is lego's first farm ever, I think they did a great job.  :classic:  The stable is nice, the figures and animals are superb, the tractor and lawnmower are very well designed, and there's tons of great pieces. The only thing I'm disapointed about is the barn, but fortunately I've been planning from day one to heavily modify it when I get my hands on the kit.  :wink:

The problem is that now I think I'll have to wait until Christmas, as I never expected the price to be this high!  :oh3:  I was thinking it would be around 60 or 70 dollars, depending on whether you got it online or at the usually overpriced TRU. But NINTY DOLLARS? Man, that is way too high for me right now. :wacko:

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get my hands on this kit eventually....  :tongue:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#68 Patriot720

Patriot720

Member: 3758

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

Awesome review! It seems the new farm sets are very promising. :classic:

#69 sens1992

sens1992

• No wheels!

Member: 4995

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

[quote name='Captain Zuloo' date='Feb 8 2009, 08:40 AM' post='443069']
For me, this is the most dissapointing set this year. I mean, the slope bricks below the roof, they would once have been 10 pieces instead of 1 big piece. I find there are far too many large, non-reusable pieces in this set for its price.

I have to agree with the fact that the big parts bother me.  I just bought the farm saturday and think it is great overall...  But there are too many huge parts that could be a bulk of smaller parts...  This is the CITY line not DUPLO.  I understand that LEGO is for kids but the large parts are kind of boring since it is hard to use them for other MOC's...  This is the first set I buy this year to have so many large parts.  

I am still happy of my purchase since it is a nice addition to the CITY line, something very different from Police, Fire and other Rescue sets.!

#70 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

Great review!  :sweet: I'm no more or less convinced than before though.

View PostTheBrickster, on Feb 8 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

Does the new Medieval Market have one?
No! :cry_sad: TLG know it's wanted, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar part soon.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#71 Svelte

Svelte

• We miss you Schmelt!

Member: 1768

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on Feb 6 2009, 03:46 PM, said:

That reminds me (I'm glad you mentioned this):  I almost forgot to share this great little scene pictured in the large instruction booklet.  I love when Lego takes time to build/display scenes like this.  They remind me of the old classic Lego catalogues:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Intriguingly, in the Aus/ NZ catalogue, the yellow antennas have been deliberately Photoshopped out of this charming bucolic scene. How bizarre! They don't normally Photoshop out brick-built scenery (eg the Construction diorama backdrop is intact) so I can only conclude there is something about yellow antenna pieces TLG would rather us not know....  :look:

I don't think it's immediately obvious from the pics, but this set is a great parts pack. There's lots of nice pieces in rare colours - lots of the white wheel spoke pieces, the red-brown fences and ladder, the tan fedora, the new window in yellow, the new windscreens, the old inverse windscreens in red, the dark red curved panels... even a blue bucket for Sinner! :grin:

I can see why people aren't keen on the red roof tiles but in terms of playability they work wonderfully to allow access to the buildings. The yellow and blue trailer is also a far better build and far stronger and more playable than the Dump Truck version - all using clip hinges and not Technic pieces!

One thing I would have liked to have seen would be the replacement of the 2x3 yellow bricks. Even a similar shape made from 1x2 yellow log bricks would have been a bit more naturalistic. Also, the cat looks a bit weird without the usual Belville print job. The Cat With No Eyes... it will haunt my dreams tonight.

#72 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

View Postsvelte_corps, on Feb 11 2009, 01:43 PM, said:

Intriguingly, in the Aus/ NZ catalogue, the yellow antennas have been deliberately Photoshopped out of this charming bucolic scene. How bizarre!
Indeed!  :look: That's really odd!

View Postsvelte_corps, on Feb 11 2009, 01:43 PM, said:

I don't think it's immediately obvious from the pics, but this set is a great parts pack. There's lots of nice pieces in rare colours - lots of the white wheel spoke pieces, the red-brown fences and ladder, the tan fedora, the new window in yellow, the new windscreens, the old inverse windscreens in red, the dark red curved panels... even a blue bucket for Sinner! :grin:
:tongue: One bucket is enough for me! I love this set plenty... but I'm concerned about the price.

(I forgot to say I gave this set a 4...)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#73 Brickmaster

Brickmaster

• Repentent Purple Pie

Member: 172

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for the pictures, they confirmed my suspicions. Very odd to see this piece turning up in opaque - I know the combine has some in green.

I like that piece, for whatever reason, anyway.  :tongue:
Posted Image

I dare you to find someone with an earlier joining date! Jipay! -SIEG

#74 phoinix

phoinix

• Eurovision !!

Member: 689

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

i got the Greek catalog yesterday and the sceen with the farm is missing a whole set!
the combine harvester isnt even in the picture.
so it will NOT be available in Greece  :hmpf_bad:

#75 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

A very good Review, excellent photography and enlightening commentary  :thumbup:
The cows are really great, I hope we get some new farm animals like Pigs and goats
However I did like the duck/roaster done in the Castle Civilian Set
Also refreshing is TLG deciding to do some civilian sets instead of police/fire  :laugh:
Finally, nice use of Indy's Fedora in other themes!!

I love that scene  :wub:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users