Sign in to follow this  
PMJ

REVIEW:8018 Armored Assault Tank (AAT)

To start this review, I shall begin with the figures

$49.99

Tricked you didn't I? Anyway, to begin, this set was rather expensive. It should be $30-$40 USD, but $50 is somewhat ridiculous! I was checking a Wall-Mart for 2009 sets (Like they would have any on January 2nd)

THE SET:

dsc09009.jpg

PART I: The figs(not the numbers)

dsc09010.jpg

These are the super battle droids with Rocket Launcher Arms you get. TLG tells you To put the arms on the right side, but in the TV series, they are on the left. There is not much playability to them believe it or not, but seriously, how can Yoda deflect a ROCKET!? A couple of regular battle droids with straight arms thrown in with the SBDs would be nice.

dsc09012.jpg

Other than that, just two standard "Droid Pilots"

dsc09013.jpg

Here Is the chimp-I mean Yoda. Why is he holding his lightsaber like this?

dsc09014.jpg

dsc09015.jpg

That's Why! Maybe if he had his cane that wouldn't be a problem!

The new metallic silver lightsabers are great for replacing the gray ones, but still nothing to get excited about.

dsc09017.jpg

Yoda actually has HAIR! :oh3:

dsc09018.jpg

My third clone trooper. I need four for my RGS.

dsc09019.jpg

PART II: THE SET

Everybody was wrong! There IS a back!

dsc09020.jpg

Or is there?

dsc09021.jpg

Out comes the speeder/gravsled. Kind of a neat idea in my opinion.

dsc09022.jpg

The gravsled is pretty neat, although it is unarmed, like the speeder in the MTT.

dsc09023.jpg

It can bend up and down, but that's about it. 4/10 for playability.

dsc09024.jpg

dsc09025.jpg

This is a random flap. Say hello to random flap people!

dsc09026.jpg

Front view:

dsc09027.jpg

I have no idea what the back is for. it can carry one or two figures.

dsc09028.jpg

The battle droid sits inside with his head down, when the hatch is open, he pops his head up and out. Just like in the old AAT.

dsc09029.jpg

Top view: (sorry about the poor quality)

dsc09030.jpg

Now this is the absolute WORST part. Is it poor construction? Ugly colors? Mars Mission Jellies? Hikaru in a dress? NO!

dsc09031.jpg

It is. . .

dsc09032.jpg

FLICK-FIRE MISSIES! That is the worst idea for a place to put them. TLC has gone flick-fire crazy!

dsc09033.jpg

These pieces prevent the top from rotating a full 360 degrees! It says it rotates 360 degrees in the catalog for some reason.

dsc09036.jpg

Open up this hatch and what do you get?

dsc09037.jpg

A battle droid piloting a gravsled-I mean working the controls.

dsc09038.jpg

The side turrets move up and down of course.

dsc09039.jpg

As low as the main cannon can go.

dsc09040.jpg

The main cannon can go 90 degrees up. Here it is at about 45.

dsc09041.jpg

I hate how these roof tiles stick out, but it keeps the tank balanced.

dsc09042.jpg

Various SNOT techniques:

dsc09043.jpg

Run Jedi Run!

dsc09047.jpg

Part III: FINAL THOUGHTS

This is a very nice set, though a little on the expensive side. Not very playable unless you have a republic something to go with it. Just yet another droid army machine, but one of the BEST.

Edited by PMJ

VEry nice set and review i am getting it. Why does it say on the lego SAH website that it has tons of playing inside. Could you take a few more pics of interior, thanks! :classic:

I don't understand the choice of color scheme; I never saw the Clone Wars movie, but were the AAT's in there dark blue? To me it seems a dark tan color scheme would have been better. :sceptic:

I love the color on this. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks.

I don't understand the choice of color scheme; I never saw the Clone Wars movie, but were the AAT's in there dark blue? To me it seems a dark tan color scheme would have been better. :sceptic:

In TCW the tanks are a sepratist blue (Like the starfighters)

It seems really awesome, I must buy at least two or three of them for my CIS army :vader:

Thank you for the review, it is now clearer about the speeder. It is cool it can form the back.

This is the clone wars colour AAT

SepAAT.jpg

41y%20uA4n27L._SS400_.jpg

A good match i think.

Great review! I would do one myself if I had a decent camara since I bought two of it for Christmas although I am hoping to get 4 more to go with the rumored corperate alliance tank.

Great review! It's a little overpriced, so I am getting two Droid Gunships, which are on sale, first..

Still a very nice set! I make sure to get it in a few months. Nice addition to my small Droid army..

(Hmm..not too small, 3 STAPs, 3 Droid Carriers, Spider Droid walker, Magnafighter, Hailfire Droid and Dwarf Spider Droid, General Grievous' starfighter, and a Vulture Droid. But I would like to have an AAT added to it!)

All Battle Droids I get without guns just get a megaphone blaster to hold.

Edited by General Magma

Its very show accurate - quite surprisingly so

I own 5 of the old AAT's and intend to replace them with the new ones (got my first 2 AAT's on the way from shop@home)

Old AAT was such a bizarre set - colours were all wrong (the back part was blue?!?)

I think the new set is great - okay the price is £10 more than it should be, but 7 MINIFIGS, thats incredible, way more than lego would usually hand out

Thanks for the review. This looks like a really cool set, but the speeder thing is just a crappy add-on that I would rather have without, and pay less. There's a great selection of figures here- a Jedi, a clone, 3 SBDs and 2 BDs iss more than I could ask for in a $50 set. :thumbup: I really hate it that the "pilot" droids have the regular arms- if they were pilots, they'd have blue torsos, like in the MTT. Either way, they should still have one regular and one twisted arm. Sorry if I seem ungrateful, but this is one major thing in recent SW sets that really bothers me. :hmpf_bad: I am glad, however, that the Clone comes with a rifle, and not a pistol. I like to have all of my troops and commanders have rifles, and the other units have pistols... Thenew SBD arms are great too.

As for the tank itself, it's very sleek, and came off better than I thought, especially since I was hoping for the Episode I tan style AAT. The playability seems okay, but that's not really something I look for in a set, anyways. Those curved, quarter-circle pieces seem to becoming more and more common among SW sets. I don't really have a problem with them, but I can't really imagine a good use for them in MOC.

Thanks for the review, and as I have the set I do believe your "random flap" is the tab you pull to get the speeder out. Also, I think your Yoda's head is bigger than mine! :tongue: It's funny, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how the gray circular thingy attached to the black circular thingy. At first I thought they had the same circumference, so I tried putting in and axle, but it looked to odd, so I dropped it and magically it attached! :tongue:

EDIT: Against the Republic Fighter tank, they would be an equal match if it weren't for those 6 hidden rockets! Also, I was suddenly saddened to discover the Hyena bomber was bigger than the AAT. Apparently, the Hyena is probably the only set worth it's price! Besides the RAS and BP's of course.

Edited by Darth Legolas

Thanks for the review, PMJ!

I'll think seriously about this one.

LuxorV

Thanks for reviewing this set for us.

For me to put this into the index, I need you to reshoot the blurry pics.

(Sorry about that, but so are the rules)

I am so getting this set.

I am considering getting me two of them, but I am not sure yet.

Cheers for the review PMJ.

I missed my opportunity to get the original all those years ago so have been anticipating the arrival of this set more than most of the others... and it looks like it doesn't disappoint! There are a couple of odd inclusions with this set: the flick-fire cannons [i [i]knew [/i]they were!], the combination rear door/speeder/pilot controls; but these are all mod-able so it's not a big issue.

This is a spot-on revision of the AAT in my opinion, can't wait to get my hands on it! :laugh:

This is a spot-on revision of the AAT in my opinion, can't wait to get my hands on it! :laugh:

Totally agree! Great review.

Got my two AAT's today

..they are big! Much bigger than the old tan one

Such an improvement (though i'm so used to the old one i'll take some time to adjust!)

Yoda is a superb minifig

Must buy set that came such a long way from the shameful prototype pics we all saw

This is the 09 Star Wars set I was ever interested in... I won't get it, but for a change the construction actually looks pretty good.

FLICK-FIRE MISSIES! That is the worst idea for a place to put them. TLC has gone flick-fire crazy!

I think they are turrets with guns as you mention later on.

Got this set this morning took me just under an hour to build and I was surprised by how big the tank was. The new Yoda is fantastic!! Great review, helped me make up my mind about buying it.

PLUS:

- fine exclusive figs (special B2s, new Yoda)

- 7 figs

- fine small vehicle attached to AAT

LESS:

- infantry B1 rather than pilot (can still be painted anyway :wink: )

- I would have bought 2 sets if it has been smaller, I guess most children can't afford it and lot of AFOLs won't buy it because they don't want to know TCW TV series and the blue-colored AAT.